Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grateful for any advice:

I accidentally mistook the transmission pan plug for the oil plug.

Sounds like I only drained about a third of my transmission fluid from what I've read; issue is I drained it into the cutout 5 quart container I use for oil changes.

There were a couple of spoonfuls of used motor oil in the container that likely got into the transmission fluid, and I put the fluid back into the transmission.

It sounds like a transmission flush will do more harm than good. The car has never had the transmission fluid changed before.

I haven't run the engine yet.

Should I change the transmission fluid, or is that small amount nothing to write home about?

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
That small amount is nothing to worry about. for peace of mind you might want to drain and top off the transmission but I wouldn't worry about damaging the transmission.

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
So you put contaminated fluid back into the trans ? Good luck for me it would be time for a flush and refill because I believe in doing things properly

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Hahaha...reminds me of a situation I had one morning at work. I was the loaner manager for a Lincoln/Mercury store. I had 250 vehicles in my fleet. One morning at 6:55am (we opened at 7am, but this woman was insistant on getting to work) I had a woman demand that I give her a minivan even though she had a Tracer in for service. Whatever. I wasn't in the mood to deal with it so I had my porter grab it and pull it in the garage so we could give it a quick clean (it had only been out for 5 hours the previous day and my porter kept my cars spotless). I popped the hood and proceeded to put washer fluid in the coolant tank... If you've ever seen a Mercury Monterey minivan, they put the coolant and the washer fluid side by side to each other. It was early, I hadn't had my shuttle driver bring my coffee yet, I was irritated with the customer, and my porter was giving me a hard time because I caved in and gave a Tracer customer a brand new minivan when she should have had a Tracer. Not too mention my wife had called me and said one of our daughters was throwing up so she wasn't coming into work so I would hear it from her manager (we worked in different departments...and yes, I was read the riot act by the owner when we were dating. But we kept it a secret until we were engaged). Needless to say, the woman did not get a minivan!!! HAHAHAHA...... She got my Lincoln LS demo instead.

So...been there, done that...no harm, no foul. 2 teaspoons is going to do absolutely nothing IMHO. But on the other hand, way different viscosities. And if you only change it every 100k, I might consider re-doing it.

Reactions: Carignorant
1 - 6 of 6 Posts