Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have 2007 GXP, 64,000 miles, automatic. This morning i took my kid to school and when i came home and put it into park, car leaked all the transmission fluid on the garage floor.
I just called the dealership, and they are asking for 250 bucks diagnostic fee, plus a blank check in order to do whatever repair is needed. Right now i can't even afford the 250 for diagnostic...They refuse to work on a solution whatsoever, only thing they are interested is that blank check. Someone at work suggested that it might be a seal gone bad. I noticed there is no way to check transmission fluid level, so does that mean that even if someone was able to change the seal, there is no way to add transmission fluid to the car without special tools or dealership service?
Can anyone help with some kind of advice? This car gave me so much problems since i got it, that i am about to set it on fire. Money is getting tight as well :nonod:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hi

I have 2007 GXP, 64,000 miles, automatic. This morning i took my kid to school and when i came home and put it into park, car leaked all the transmission fluid on the garage floor.
I just called the dealership, and they are asking for 250 bucks diagnostic fee, plus a blank check in order to do whatever repair is needed. Right now i can't even afford the 250 for diagnostic...They refuse to work on a solution whatsoever, only thing they are interested is that blank check. Someone at work suggested that it might be a seal gone bad. I noticed there is no way to check transmission fluid level, so does that mean that even if someone was able to change the seal, there is no way to add transmission fluid to the car without special tools or dealership service?
Can anyone help with some kind of advice? This car gave me so much problems since i got it, that i am about to set it on fire. Money is getting tight as well :nonod:
As you may recall, there is a 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty on the drive train. You might be getting close on the age, but look into it and don't be shy about discussing it with the local GM Zone Manager even if the local Service Manager initially refuses to work with you. Sometimes, if you are just a little out of warranty, they will cut you some kind of a deal.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought warranty was for 60K or 5 years, whichever comes first. That's what it says on my factory paperwork.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I thought warranty was for 60K or 5 years, whichever comes first. That's what it says on my factory paperwork.
I just called the GM/Pontiac customer service number (800-762-2737) and he said for a '07 (and as far as I know, all years), the drive train warranty is 5 years and 100K. Not sure what paperwork you are looking at, but it would certainly be worth the price of a free 800 call to verify what I was told for your specific VIN.

Again, good luck and let us know how it all works out.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
To answer your question, you check the transmission fluid level with the engine running, in park, through the fill port on the side of the transmission. Find the cause for the lost fluid and go for it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
:eek:Mine is a Sky 07, purchased in aug 06..my 5 years ran out last year..no where near 100k..:(

Also which transmission does it have the 5L40-E or 5L50-E??

The repair manual gives specifics steps to check the fluid, even gives a warning to make sure the car engine is running when you check it. also watch out for hot oil if ANY spills out. also says make sure the fill hole is plugged back up before you shut engine down. Possible leaks could be anything, a seal, a gasket.. lose fill or drain nuts..etc, there is also an O-ring on the fill plug..sumbody has to crawl under the car or better yet put it on lift to eye ball it..:yesnod: I think however that if is empty of oil, I wouldn't drive the car without adding some I believe is dextron VI to make sure it don't burn up.. Also check if the 5 years are up..

·
Registered
534 Posts
You have to get under there and look if you can. You may have a hose that came loose as well. $250 to look at is ridiculous. Go somewhere reliable if you can. Try to find a transmission shop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was water pump, so we ended up with our transmission flushed and new seals, for "only"275.00. They discovered a water pump leak and quoted 1,200.00. I hate this car. And we have two of them...

·
Registered
728 Posts
It was water pump, so we ended up with our transmission flushed and new seals, for "only"275.00. They discovered a water pump leak and quoted 1,200.00. I hate this car. And we have two of them...
WOW :eek: BIG difference between a tranny leak and a coolant leak..
My understanding is that it is a PITA to replace our water pumps. Don't know the differences between the NA vs the GXP, but I think $1200 is way on the high side of things..:willy:

·
Registered
834 Posts
WOW :eek: BIG difference between a tranny leak and a coolant leak..
My understanding is that it is a PITA to replace our water pumps. Don't know the differences between the NA vs the GXP, but I think $1200 is way on the high side of things..:willy:
Ha ha ha, seriously! I was thinking the same thing. How in the heck were the 2 confused?!?

Besides the tensioner issue during the water pump swap, it's not all that bad. But then again, is this the person that can't get the turbo off? If you're having trouble getting the turbo off (which is actually really easy), then yah, a water pump swap is probably beyond your abilities.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts