Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing some whining from my 5spd recently. 1st and 2nd are the worst, by far. Slight amount of gear noise in 3rd, but I really have to listen for it. Absolutely none in 4,5. I have tried every gear at varying loads/speeds and I get the same thing, just 1,2. No noise without a load(coasting). I would rule out the diff since the issue seems to be gear dependent. Anyone else encounter this?

I brought it do the dealership and took a tech for a drive. He heard the whining and said the same thing noting it seems to be trans related as it is gear dependent and that the whine does not seem to be coming from the rear. So I left it for evaluation and service says it works fine. I said I was not complaining about it working properly rather that it is getting very loud. I asked about the whine and he said its noted here so we'll just have to keep an eye on it...

Sounding a bit like the rear diff in my truck when it ran it out of fluid when I was a teenager. Just feeling like I have surpassed the reasonable amount of noise it should normally make.

·
Super Moderator
16,399 Posts
My transmissions produce no noticeable sound. You might consider taking an oil sample and having it analyzed. If one of the shaft bearings is wearing, the oil analysis should tell you

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll look into that. For now I just have to put up with it as I don't seem to have other options. It has been getting louder over time so eventually something is going to give. I just hope its sooner than later and it ****s the bed under warranty.

·
Registered
728 Posts
How many miles does the car have? You might want to consider an oil change for the tranny to see it it eliminates the noise. The second good thing about that is that you'll be able to inspect and analyze the old oil..inspect for metal shavings etc..

·
Registered
433 Posts
I am experiencing some whining from my 5spd recently. 1st and 2nd are the worst, by far. Slight amount of gear noise in 3rd, but I really have to listen for it. Absolutely none in 4,5. I have tried every gear at varying loads/speeds and I get the same thing, just 1,2. No noise without a load(coasting). I would rule out the diff since the issue seems to be gear dependent. Anyone else encounter this?

I brought it do the dealership and took a tech for a drive. He heard the whining and said the same thing noting it seems to be trans related as it is gear dependent and that the whine does not seem to be coming from the rear. So I left it for evaluation and service says it works fine. I said I was not complaining about it working properly rather that it is getting very loud. I asked about the whine and he said its noted here so we'll just have to keep an eye on it...

Sounding a bit like the rear diff in my truck when it ran it out of fluid when I was a teenager. Just feeling like I have surpassed the reasonable amount of noise it should normally make.
Your concern about the noise is definitely understandable. Please keep us updated on the noise situation. If you decide to take it back to the dealer and would like a case set up with GM, please send a PM. If you do send a PM, please include the dealership information, your contact information, the vehicle VIN#, your situation, and name. I hope this is resolved quickly for you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
9,7XX miles. I may do a fluid change this winter.

I am about to park the car since winter finally decided to show up in SE WI.

I appreciate your interest Matt. I may not have any additional info until I get the car back out on the road in a few months though. I will keep the thread updated.

·
Registered
433 Posts
9,7XX miles. I may do a fluid change this winter.

I am about to park the car since winter finally decided to show up in SE WI.

I appreciate your interest Matt. I may not have any additional info until I get the car back out on the road in a few months though. I will keep the thread updated.
Thank you for the update. Keep us posted if it happens again. Thank you and have a great holiday!

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
You shouldn't need an oil change on a transmission that soon, nor really ever. The acids from the combustion process that mandate regular engine oil changes are absent in a transmission and I have seen many a trans with more than 100,000 miles have the oil come outas clean as it went in.

Gears making noise is most often because they are falling out of mesh - the distances between the centres of shaft rotation are moving apart, usually becase the bearings are going out, or the surfaces of the teeth are eroding or flaking, increasing inter-shaft distance and reducing mesh.

If my trans started making noise I would be worried! Drain the oil and have it checked and check yourself for bits that shouldn't be there!

·
Super Moderator
16,399 Posts
You shouldn't need an oil change on a transmission that soon, nor really ever. The acids from the combustion process that mandate regular engine oil changes are absent in a transmission and I have seen many a trans with more than 100,000 miles have the oil come outas clean as it went in.

Gears making noise is most often because they are falling out of mesh - the distances between the centres of shaft rotation are moving apart, usually becase the bearings are going out, or the surfaces of the teeth are eroding or flaking, increasing inter-shaft distance and reducing mesh.

If my trans started making noise I would be worried! Drain the oil and have it checked and check yourself for bits that shouldn't be there!
:agree::agree::agree:

He knows about old transmissions :devil:

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
:agree::agree::agree:

He knows about old transmissions :devil:
That's for sure.

Some gears make noise as a matter of course. I run several British cars with a straight cut first gear and yes, they whine. I have also run race cars with straight cut boxes (the tooth root is considered to be a bit stronger on a straight cut than a regular tooth, so they use these sometimes on purpose built race boxes) and they are very noisy - although music to a racer's ears.

A helical tooth should make negligible noise as long as the mesh is correct. When they start to whine, the usual result is that wear is accelerated and they break something sooner rather than later. Same thing with a hypoid diff - if it whines, you either reshim it to optimal mesh or write it off by screwing the tooth working surface, or breaking teeth. Or if you are old school, you stuff it full of banana skins and sell it quick! :devil:

·
Super Moderator
16,399 Posts
Banana skins!

I remember when dissreputable used car salesmen would install banana skins on top of failed babbet bearings in order to silence the bottom end long enough to get a car off the lot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babbitt_(metal)

For the kids in the audience:thumbs:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick update. As I have been driving a bit more now, I have come to realize it has to be the differential. If I really drop the speed to around 15-20mph in 3rd it whines a little too. It is speed dependent. I get whining that tapers off at about 30mph which is why I thought(and the tech) it was gear dependent. Just have to go really slow in high gears to hear it. I have read about others with whining diffs on the forum at low speeds as well so I am just going to live with it since there is no apparent noise at any cruising speeds. I gotta say, the noise resonates throughout the car pretty well for a diff whine. Still can't narrow the noise down to coming from directly behind me, but I am sure I'm one of the lucky diff whining owners.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Mine whines when I'm trying to put it back in first and I'm coming to a stop....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts