Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 and I'm hearing a noise after I shift into 5th gear. It sounds like a rattling sound and when I hold the gear shift knob its stops. I let go and the noise starts again. What could be causing this noise? Is it transmission related, is something loose or maybe broken? Otherwise, the car ride fine and up and down shifts normally as far as I can tell. I'm hoping to get some idea before I go to the dealer and any guess as to how much repairs might be? Thanks, Sal

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just curious, is that adjustable and if so, is it a major repair and how much do you think a dealer would charge vs. a non-dealer repair facility? I usually by automatics and have no idea about manual transmissions. Also, which type of GM dealership would you recommend to do the repairs, Buick or Chevrolet? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
10,305 Posts
I would not consider that a major repair, as far as what dealer it should be one that is familiar with the Solstice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maybe just a vibration? Do you have to hold the shift lever firm, or just touch it, for the noise to go away?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe just a vibration? Do you have to hold the shift lever firm, or just touch it, for the noise to go away?
I don't have to clamp my hand down on it, just hold it normally as if I was just resting my hand on it and my fingers closed around it.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Mine does the same thing and it is intermittent. Started when I did the short shifter and got rid of the extension that hold the stock boot and knob. Put that piece back on, went away. Put the DDM shifter boot and extension back on and my walnut Pontiac shift knob and occasionally will still get that noise. Drives me nuts but then it goes on "annoying sound vacation" for awhile. when it comes back, same as you, placing my hand on the shift knob dampens it out. Eventually it goes on vacation again. I have the big 2# knob and it will probably dampen out anything. Someday I'll swap it with the walnut knob and see. Good luck...post what works for you if you discover something.

Richard Snipes

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I've had this problem over the years with various cars. It always turned out to be just resonance problems. Had one that all i had to do was touch the shifter and it would quit for a while, or a day. Never did solve the problem.

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
Do you have the factory gear shift with the heavy shift knob? The rattling is common with cars that have had the factory shifter replaced. Mine has the JPM shift with a light plastic knob. It rattles in second and third where the harmonics are right. What you describe sounds like you may have a replacement shifter or knob that changed the resonant point to match fifth tear. Try taping a weight to the shift knob and see if the rattle goes away.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I had the problem. It's just a loose shift knob. I pulled mine off (it's not threaded, just pressed on [on my Sky]), put a blob of silicone in it and put it back on. It's been fine for a couple of years

1 - 10 of 10 Posts