Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if they will make an automatic transmission? I love this car to death, I have posters of it hanging on my wall in my room. But I hate manual transmissions, and probably won't buy the car if it doesn't come with an automatic transmission. Do you think they will make one?

·
Registered
284 Posts
From the FAQ:

Question: Will an automatic transmission be offered?

Answer: GM has only indicated a manual 5 speed so far. We have to assume there will be an automatic at some point but the information released so far only mentions manual trans so the assumption is year 1 will be manual.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I wonder if Saturn, as well as Pontiac, gettting a 2006 Kappa car will influence an earlier introduction of an automatic transmission. Although a roadster is the first step towards a change in image, traditionally Saturns were marketed to those who would prefer to be "shiftless".

·
Registered
352 Posts
I want to buy the Solstice for my lovely wife and she does not drive stick shift.

It would be great if GM came out with DSG or Zeroshift but a traditional 4 speed automatic has been suggested for a few months after launch.

If its available before June 2005 I will most probably order a solstice for my wife. (and for me to enjoy)

Power top...traction control...abs...automatic or zeroshift/DSG tranny and if the supercharger is available I'll order one of those too..but need it to be available by June 2005 delivery. (I don't anticipate the supercharger or DSG but it would be cool all the same if available in time)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
I want to buy the Solstice for my lovely wife and she does not drive stick shift.

Power top...traction control...abs...automatic or zeroshift/DSG tranny and if the supercharger is available I'll order one of those too..but need it to be available by June 2005 delivery. (I don't anticipate the supercharger or DSG but it would be cool all the same if available in time)
I'm sure ther'll be an automatic of some sort. As they are trying to keep the costs down, don't count on anything to fancy, probably just a basic 3 or 4 speed with a basic floor shifter. I also wouldn't count on the June '05 delivery. June '06 is probably more realistic. They should be out well before June '06 but after June '05 is my guess.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The Edmunds.com review posted in another thread had quasi-official info from Hopson about the transmission.

An automatic transmission will also be available sometime after launch, but choosing that is like wearing a snow suit in the Caribbean — you're missing the point.
I agree about choosing an automatic on a roadster being a loss of the roadster style (unless it's a padle shifter of course), but I also understand manual tranny isn't the best for everyone.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I wonder if GM will introduce a new RWD platform 5 speed auto anytime in the near future, and if so whether that transmission will make its way to Kappa. Both the XLR and Corvette are screaming for more than 4 gears in thei autos, not to mention the Caddy Sigma line and the upcoming Zeta line.

GM and Ford in a joint venture are designing a new 5 speed for use in cars that should appear sometime next year in some models. I assume that is a FWD transaxle, but I wonder if it will be adaptable for RWD too.

A 5 speed with some kind of manu-matic control would be great for a people who want a roadster, but really want or need an auto.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
An AWD system would be nice to see too. With at least a minumum of a 50/50 split center LSD. Of course I'd rather see an Active Center Differential (ACD) with front/rear independent LSDs. Not one of those automated ones designed to save bad drivers butt's, but something with presets. Like gravel, tarmac, snow, etc. The Mitsu Lancer Evolution VIII 2005 MY in the USA (all models in other countries) and the Subaru Impreza STi both offer systems like these, and they're just plain bad ass. Offer a system like that with the Supercharged L850 240hp engine and you're talking about one monster of a track car.

:thumbs

Do I expect to actually see one, let alone both offered anytime soon? No.
An manual-auto 5spd will exist before that ever will I'm betting.

That's (Supercharge/AWD) something I'd be willing to spend upto $30k for along with sportier exterior/interior package. Puts it in the STi/EVOVIII price/performance range (since it weighs less then both). The Supercharged Crossfire is a very appealing car, but the price is just unreasonable to me for the top model. Even for the base models for that matter.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am not sure I would really want an AWD roadster. An AWD system will add a couple hundred pounds of weight, and this car is already going to be on the heavy side. On the plus side, it would allow me to drive it year round! :thumbs But I think it might have too much of a negative impact on the cars handling and dynamics, simply because of the extra poundage.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
:agree

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah very true, but they'll just have to find someplace else to loose weight then :D

I really don't ever expect to see it, it's just a desire because it helps so much for a car designed around it on the track.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
Yeah very true, but they'll just have to find someplace else to loose weight then :D

I really don't ever expect to see it, it's just a desire because it helps so much for a car designed around it on the track.
I know I criticized the negative impact it has on weight, I'd also like to see it. AWD cars can be driven year round in the frozen north known as Buffalo. I'd get an AWD car and give up some handling agility just to get to enjoy it 12 months of the year instead of 6! I doubt it will happen too. Maybe Chevy should look into a 4 seat AWD car on this platform since they are looking for a design that works! :thumbs

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Ion Red line is only available with a manual, but the regular Ion's have an optional automatic, if Pontiac does the same thing, the hig-end Solstice will have a 5 (maybe 6) speed manual, and the lower ones will have a standard 5-speed and optional 4-speed automatic.....I might be the only one noticing this, but it seems that the manual trannys on new or redesigned cars are offering 6-speed manuals instead of the 5-speed found on cars introduced in 2001 or 2002. Some upperclass cars have 5-speed automatics already, so I predict that by the time the Solstice comes out, it will have 6-speed manual (possibly a 5 -speed automatic).

Please correct me I am wrong about the 2001/2002 cars!!!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Mutant Egg said:
The Ion Red line is only available with a manual, but the regular Ion's have an optional automatic, if Pontiac does the same thing, the hig-end Solstice will have a 5 (maybe 6) speed manual, and the lower ones will have a standard 5-speed and optional 4-speed automatic.....I might be the only one noticing this, but it seems that the manual trannys on new or redesigned cars are offering 6-speed manuals instead of the 5-speed found on cars introduced in 2001 or 2002. Some upperclass cars have 5-speed automatics already, so I predict that by the time the Solstice comes out, it will have 6-speed manual (possibly a 5 -speed automatic).

Please correct me I am wrong about the 2001/2002 cars!!!
The Solstice is getting a 5 speed manual transmission sourced from Aisin at launch. It will be the only one offered initially. That is the same company that supplies the Colorado/Canyon 5 speed as well as the Honda S2000 6 speed. So a 6 speed manual is certainly a possibility down the road, but it won't have one yet. Maybe they will leave the 5-speed in the base car, and a 6 speed will appear in a future higher output car.

I don't think the car will need a 6 speed, and if its like the Corvette 6 speed I could do without it anyway. That 6 speed is more like a 5 speed with an extra super-overdrive gear. It doesn't have anything to do with adding performance. As long as the ecotec has a rather wide powerband, it won't need an extra gear. But a turbo/supercharged one may need the extra gear if the boosted powerband is smaller and/or peakier to keep the engine in that sweet spot.

Automatic is a little more on the fence. You are right, many cars now have 5 speed autos, and many are moving to 6 speeds (doesn't BMW already have a 7 speed too?). However, GM does not widely use autos beyond 4 speeds at this time. The new Cadillac STS will get a 5 speed mated to the Northstar V8, but Cadillac's Northstar transmissions, at least the 4 speeds in the FWD V8 cars, are very heavy and would be inappropriate for this application. They are working with Ford on a joint venture design for 5/6 speed autos and they should start appearing next year, at least for Ford and maybe GM too. My guess is Solstice will receive this tranmission if it can be used in a RWD configuration. However, it may only be designed for a FWD/AWD setup which would limit GM to only being able to offer its off the shelf 4 speed autos.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Z06 weighs a couple hundred more than the solstice. it gets around the track pretty well. :D

Fformula88 said:
I am not sure I would really want an AWD roadster. An AWD system will add a couple hundred pounds of weight, and this car is already going to be on the heavy side. On the plus side, it would allow me to drive it year round! :thumbs But I think it might have too much of a negative impact on the cars handling and dynamics, simply because of the extra poundage.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The Solstice is getting a 5 speed manual transmission sourced from Aisin at launch. It will be the only one offered initially. That is the same company that supplies the Colorado/Canyon 5 speed as well as the Honda S2000 6 speed.
Assuming the Colorado/Canyon will offer AWD, that's one small engineering hurdle that might not have to be delt with if AWD is to be offerd on any Kappa based vehicle. Though I'm predicting more of a Nomad type crossover for the first AWD Kappa. But again, the space limitations of the backbone frame would be a major hurtle that might trip up the whole idea. As far as an AWD Solstice, ride height would play a large part as well. A 2" lift on a hatchback would look a lot better than one on a roadster.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I don't believe AWD is in the cards for the solstice...

Just not enough hp to warrant it..

Traction control and ABS would be perfect..IMHO..

For snowy climates..just add snow tires. IMO

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Kinda on topic with transmissions. I hadn't payed attention till now about the Solstice Concept's transmission, but the supercharged 240HP L850 was mated to a 6 speed transmission. If you look at the pictures of the concept you can see it's a 6 speed. I know this is known already to everyone else, but I just realised this now :D I had gotten interested in this car after the official production version was announced. Reading the concept specs now, I see it was a Borg-Warner performance six-speed manual transmission, the same one used in the Corvette. Now that would be a nice optional upgrade feature :thumbs

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Bizz said:
Z06 weighs a couple hundred more than the solstice. it gets around the track pretty well. :D
Sure a Z06 gets around the track pretty well, with its electrically controlled magnetic shocks and about 400 HP! It also does not have AWD.

AWD can be a performance imrpovement and is now the hot thing to have because of WRX's and Evos. However, its not necessarily the holy grail of performance cars either. It can be a big help in wet or slippery conditions, or the offroading those "rally" cars were originially modelled of of. But on a plain track, there is weight and balance advantages to not having the extra running gear up front. Added weight is always a negative to performance. The more you have, the more the car will want to resist turning. There is some weight that is necessary, as too little will be harmful too.

Its just that there are really no big advantages to putting AWD into a small light weight roadster that I can see making it worth it. Adding 250 lbs to this car to make it AWD would raise its curb weight to over 3100 lbs! Its going to create more of a front end weight bias too, which will hurt its understeer characteristics. It will still get around the track, but it will feel heavy, and will not turn in as sharp or as quick, or respond as quick to throttle or steering imputs. Its also going to feel slow with the base 170 HP motor. Sure it may hold a line in a downpour, but its a 2 seat convertable. Most people will never be holding a line in a downpour to take advantage.

The Corvette, for its size and power is an appropriate weight and not too heavy. But a Solstice is smaller, and if it weight what a Corvette does it would feel like your driving a pig.

AWD is just not all that necessary on this type of car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts