Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so here is my story. I just purchase my 1st solstice, an 07, from a dealer here in Wiscsonsin. I really lucked out as the car only has 276 miles on it. Somehow this car has slipped throught the cracks at this dealership and has NEVER BEEN SOLD!!! Any way, i did notice that these "doors" were damaged and they promised to repair them. I noticed later (the car goes in Monday to get them repaired) that the problem is they are not flipping up as they are supposed to. They promised to fix that as well. I am worried that they will either tell me they can't fix them (as we all know pontiac was slashed from GM:willy:), or do a horrible job and they will look, well, crappy. I cannot find any replacement parts for these doors. Does anyone know where i can buy them should I need to?

thanks in advance for any replies and help!!!:)

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
OK, well you didn't do a great job of explaining WHAT you're talking about. I would hazard a guess that you mean the silver-painted flaps in the tulip panel, that flip up when you raise the roof?

You cannot get replacements separate from the whole tulip panel, but they should be able to repair and repaint them fine. The failure to open is usually just a broken clip on the cable. Plenty of posts on that, and again, easily repairable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry for being vauge, but yes, those are what I was talking about. I checked the bushings that connect the cable to the tabs and those were fine and still attached. It just seems there is too much slack in the cable itself. Followed the cable to where it is screwed into the top frame and that was still attached as well. Is there an adjustment to the cable? I know that replacing them is fairly cheap as I have seen those threads.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If car has 276 and "slipped through the cracks"...I would like to know if this was the car's first actual title. If it was, you have 3yr and 36k mile warranty from the date of purchase. Some dealers will not tell you of this but must honor it. Some dealers use this as a sales tactic to jack up the price. A call to any dealership will answer this. Hopefully they get it fixed and you have plenty of warranty remaining.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting!!! We were told by the dealer that the warrenty was expired. I did do a CarFax and Autocheck on the car. BOTH came back clean and showed NO previous owners other than the dealership. I will have to research the warrenty and see what I can find!!! Thanks for the heads up!!!

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
One of my trap doors was screwed up when I bought my car last June. I went to the local Chebby dealer and the parts guy said a bit over a hundred bucks per door! I said no thanks. Posted a "wanted to buy" ad here for a door but got no replys.

My door had somehow gotten crooked in the opening so the door was chipped and worn. I removed it, not too hard but do not let the spring fall down into the body. I sanded it down, repainted and mounted. Had to bend the mounting points to get the door orientation correct. Paint came from a rattle can from Advance Auto. Light Tarnished Silver Metalic. I think the code is 67 WA994L. Dupli-color. Don't forget the clear coat. I did lose the spring down the body cavity. Had to order a new one. Put a small towel underneath to catch spring if it tried to get away from me again. My cables are OK...can't help you there.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Riggs!! I will keep the info if the dealer cannot/willnot fix (pictures are awesome)!!! Really appreciate everyones help!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
Interesting!!! We were told by the dealer that the warrenty was expired. I did do a CarFax and Autocheck on the car. BOTH came back clean and showed NO previous owners other than the dealership. I will have to research the warrenty and see what I can find!!! Thanks for the heads up!!!
I think it was in 2010 that GM offered each dealer $7,000 for each Pontiac the dealership took off the rolls of GM ownership by titling the car in the dealership's name, to be used by the dealer for whatever purpose. If that was the case, the warranty would have started running when the dealership took ownership and had the car titled in their name. It also meant the car was now a "used" car, regardless of mileage. The 3yr/36000 mile bumper to bumper is probably expired, but the 5yr/100,000 powertrain will have some time and a lot of miles available yet, assuming that the car was purchased by the dealer under this deal.

If you search the forum, you should be able to find plenty of discussion of this situation back then.

Good luck with the repair, and I hope you enjoy your new/old Solstice.

Beware the permagrin! :dthumbs:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave, love the black grill with chrome trim!! you do that yourself or aftermarket?? I think that would look awesome on my "mean" Solstice!!! As far as the warrenty, that would make sense!!! Got the car for over $8500 under original sticker

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
Dave, love the black grill with chrome trim!! you do that yourself or aftermarket?? I think that would look awesome on my "mean" Solstice!!! As far as the warrenty, that would make sense!!! Got the car for over $8500 under original sticker
Re the grill, stock silver grill with the outer rim masked and the center part sprayed black. Then the entire grill cleared, lots of coats. I had the dealer body shop do the work, as the first set I did ended up with a paint incompatibility and never hardened up. It works best on the darker colors.

Sounds like a decent deal. I hope you enjoy it.

Where are you in Wisconsin? I'm in the Milwaukee area.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
There is no actual adjustment for changing when the tulip door opens, in relationship to the top coming up. (As in no adjustable tensioner on the cable)

Assuming the cable wire and connecting plastic clip are correct and not broken: Then the only way to adjust the timing is to bend the metal mounting clip that the cable sits into at the opposite end from the tulip panel. It does not take much of a bend, to make the tulip panel open quicker, as the top comes up. You should be able to set the timing so that the tulip panel opens, just ahead of the top mechanism raising. If the tulip panel does not open ahead of the top mechanism, then the top mechanism will bump into the the tulip panel resulting in damage to the edge of the tulip panel as the top comes up. If you "adjust-bend" the mounting point to far, then the tulip panel will not close completely when the top is down.

Even with the tulip panel cable "adjusted" correctly: Once the top is advanced to all the way up and locked in place: One of the bars of the top mechanism rests against the edge of the tulip panel which is now in the up position. This bar is wrapped with a plastic tape from the factory, which is supposed to prevent chipping of the edge of the tulip panel and rattles at this location when the top is up. The plastic tape wears out quickly: Replace with a wrap of self adhesive silicone tape.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Okay, so here is my story. I just purchase my 1st solstice, an 07, from a dealer here in Wiscsonsin. I really lucked out as the car only has 276 miles on it. Somehow this car has slipped throught the cracks at this dealership and has NEVER BEEN SOLD!!! Any way, i did notice that these "doors" were damaged and they promised to repair them. I noticed later (the car goes in Monday to get them repaired) that the problem is they are not flipping up as they are supposed to. They promised to fix that as well. I am worried that they will either tell me they can't fix them (as we all know pontiac was slashed from GM:willy:), or do a horrible job and they will look, well, crappy. I cannot find any replacement parts for these doors. Does anyone know where i can buy them should I need to?

thanks in advance for any replies and help!!!:)
Hello,

Congratulations on your new to you vehicle. Did you know that there are GM dealerships that still specialize in fixing Pontiacs? If you private message me your zip code, I can locate the closest dealer to you for further reference.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:
For all of those who offered help... My Solstice has now been in the shop for 3 days :-(
Hope to get it back tomorrow. Apparently the dealership has to ability to order just the Tulip panel doors, I was told they have replaced both of them. Oil change is done, cables and detail will be finished tomorrow!!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
trap door installation!

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have this concern. I just purchased a 2007
red Solstice. It came with the pass side trap door missing. the dealer was
nice enough to furnish me with the part. After looking at it and fussing with it for a time it seems darn near impossible to get it in without scratching it
or swearing a lot! Anyone have any tips about how to install it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I'm in love with the car!
Thank You,
Erick

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
I removed one to repair a cable for a club member. The hinges are press fit on the sides. You assemble the flap then slide the hinge up onto the web on the underside of the tulipanel. It's a little tricky but I did not find it difficult.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sweet deal on the car.

Funny thing, I see the SKY panels going for 1 grand!!!

I checked that out when I saw several used cars with damaged panels.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts