Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Trave Buddy Cup Holder

11K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  marksbug 
#1 ·
Has anybody tried these "Travel Buddy" cup holders designed for Corvettes? They "look like" they might work, but there are many different models with slightly different designs & angles. I've seen them on Amazon and eBay as well. Just wondering if anybody has tried them and if so, which "model" worked the best?

Couple of links to them HERE and HERE

See less See more
#3 ·
I've been looking all over to find the dimensions (at least the height) and nobody seems to have any. I've even been searching for the manufacturer, but thus far no luck. I'm interested in the single cup design, but there are several models available. I'd like to get the longest one so I can trim it down to fit tight. If I find anything I'll post results.

#6 ·
When I'm driving the Sky in the morning, I'll usually have a large coffee in a styrofoam cup. Those cups are pretty tall, the factory cup holders appear flimsy, and the cups don't feel very stable/secure. The front cup holder works, but since I've heard so many stories of failure, I'd rather not mess with it. I was going to try using the center console cup holder the other day, but it felt like the coffee was going to dump, so I used an aftermarket floor cup holder, but that is quite a reach.

#7 ·
12" high would be great and I'm pretty sure that would work. I think there is only room for the single cup holder in that area on our kappa cars. Wondering if there is room on the drivers side, and hopefully I wouldn't hit it with my leg... trial and error I guess.

#9 ·
Chickenwire:

"Gotcha. Yes, the center holders are pretty shallow. I've used the passenger side holder pretty consistently since buying our Sol in 2012 without any issues. I think most of the failures come from them sticking when trying to push them back in."

Yeah, I've just heard/read so many horror stories I'd rather not mess with that one... unless I go the route of buying that aluminum replacement one, not even sure it's still available? A friend of mine has that console one by DMMWorks, but I'm not ready to shell out almost $300, and those don't hold the cup very securely (wish they were deeper, but he cut down some koozies to fill in the gap and hold the cups more secure). AND I just re-enforced my center console, so I'd like to keep it stock.

#11 · (Edited)
Success...

I ordered the C5 Travel Buddy drink holder from West Coast Corvette (www.westcoastcorvette.com ~ part #16186062 ) for $25 plus shipping. Shaved off a little more than an inch from the bottom (on a slight angel to match the floor contour) and a notch where it sits over the seat mounting bracket. Seems very secure, goes in easy and removes easy as well. I rarely have a passenger, but when I do I could remove it if necessary, or when attending a car show. Very happy with the results thus far.

#13 ·
Just a little update to report. I drove the Sky this weekend a fair amount. Happy to report that the cupholder performed very well, held my large coffee securely, and the reach wasn't an issue... very satisfied! Also, as the photos show, it does intrude into the passenger foot-well a bit (but I don't have passengers very often, so it wasn't a big concern for me), HOWEVER, I decided to test that as well. I sat in the passenger side of the car and to my surprise, the cupholder really didn't interfere with leg room or make contact with my left leg. On that side of the car the foot-well kind of jets off to the right anyway, so my legs didn't hit the cupholder. I'm 5' 9" tall, so "perhaps" a really tall person would have different results, but I don't honestly think it would matter.....?

So I believe with the modifications, it's a nice option/solution to the "cupholder" dilemma in our cars.

#17 ·
I have never seen these but I was thinking about this kind of holder for the driver side actually. When I have the top down my bottle drinks get hot quick. So I put them in this spot right under my leg. This holder may work there too, because your knee is always bent to put your foot on the gas pedal.

#18 ·
I don't think you'll like it there, Mark. I have a dual cupholder - from a console-mount storage thing that I cut down - on the floor in front of my seat, with one cup against the tunnel and the other near the center of the car. I can't use the side against the tunnel because it interferes with my leg, and the bottom of the cup in it is almost on the floor.

Reactions: MarkGXP
#19 ·
I think those fiberglass console /cup holders should of put the cups on the pass side of the console. yes I know this is a old thread, but the only cup Ive found that fits the pass side good is the whataburger styrofoam cup. no I havent really went out searching for good cup .I reckon I may have to do that and look for the op's solutions with the vette cup holder. how do you come up with a car that dosent have the necessity's....oh well thats another thread...(I need to make another run to the what-a-burger..I think it's only a southern chain, not even any in GA!!!)

#20 ·
This looks like a good idea. Price is a little steep but it is a "corvette" accessory ($35), therefore triple the price. At least it doesn't have that logo splashed all over it.

#26 ·
I have a twin cup holder in mine,it's even trimmed in"leather" that matches my steel/ sand interior. I thought it would be in the way, but the wife says it's not. they also make them in black with red stitching. under $20 on flebay, amazen probably has them too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.