Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I've been a solstice owner for a little over 2 years now, and I love the car.

My problem is finding a mechanic that shares the same enthusiasm for a moving piece of art.

Unfortunately, I assumed that the dealership could provide the best service to the car. Boy was I wrong. I went in for an oil change, and they offered me a tire rotation because they had a special going. "Sure, why not?" I said.

Why not? Because dealerships doing specials on tire rotation don't know how to jack a solstice.

Shield your eyes....

Bilateral damage to the side fender. I didn't notice this immediately... my brother noticed it. I took the car back to the dealer and they informed me that I must have hit something.

Luckily, I had comprehensive coverage, and the insurance claim guy told me I could get it fixed, but it would require repainting the entire car because the yellow is so hard to match. I decided to forgo the job and perhaps wait until there's a bit more road wear before I make the plunge of getting her repainted.

And, of course, I could always aftermarket fenders put on. From my forum lurking, I hear there's some pretty good options that can color match.

So, in light of the fact that the two dealerships in my area have failed me (the other one didn't put Mobile 1 in during an oil change, even though I specifically requested it), can anyone recommend a shop that knows how to handle a 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP in the Raleigh-Durham area?

And here's a great picture to make up for the heartwrenching ones above:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention....

when I went to the OTHER dealer in the area to check on my battery, they proceded to change the battery, which was good, but totally mess up the installation of that side fender.

so please... if anyone has any leads, let me know! I'm desperate! I got an oil change coming up and I don't trust anyone!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, first one I went to was Hendrick, which I suspect caused the lift damage. Second one I went to was Performance, the one close to Chapel Hill, which botched the re-installation of the side fender after the battery install.

I'm hoping to find a small shop where I can get the mechanics to feel like they own the car themselves. Do these types of mechanics exist anymore?

I hate to say it, but I'm thinking that for anything major I'm going to have to drive down to DDM works, which is just ridiculous.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great question YellowBeast - I'm watching this thread closely and hoping for a positive response!
Are you in the triangle? I'm thinking we all should find a mechanic that will agree to learn how to properly service our cars. Once they've been trained, we'll all go there. The mechanic wins because they get all the solstice-folk in the region, and we win because someone finally knows how to properly service our cars!

Things the mechanic should know how to do (and anyone else feel free to add to the list!)

- Proper lift points
- Fix the coolant line / air bubble / thermostat problem (the problem caused by the fact that the coolant tank is not the highest point in the system)
- replace battery and reinstall panels properly

Of course, this is just my gripe list. I guess I could research the other threads in the forums to find other common repairs... but I should be writing a thesis.....

·
Premium Member
701 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is a GM performance shop out past Raleigh called Mayhem Motorsports. I had them replace the injectors and exhaust on my solstice, and they did a great job, no complaints.

Just wanted to add this to the discussion in case others find it when searching in the future. It can be a real pain to find anywhere that has the ability and is willing to work on these kappas.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Not sure about mechanics in the area, but my brother works the parts counter at Capital Chevy (Charles Isley). He is great to work with, and truly enjoys helping people find parts for their cars. If they don't have it, he will help you search it down if he can. I'm going there later today to pick up a new coolant temp sensor. I will ask if he knows if any of the mechanics there have experience with Sols.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Welcome!

Not sure about mechanics in the area, but my brother works the parts counter at Capital Chevy (Charles Isley). He is great to work with, and truly enjoys helping people find parts for their cars. If they don't have it, he will help you search it down if he can. I'm going there later today to pick up a new coolant temp sensor. I will ask if he knows if any of the mechanics there have experience with Sols.
Welcome to the forum. There is a group of Sol/Sky owners that meets once a month in Cary if you're interested...

Vin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts