Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2007 GXP--75k miles--SLY--Name Pending
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between the Trifecta Advantage and the DDM Trifecta tune?
There is a significant price difference and the Trifecta tune includes the cable.
We are looking to spice up our recently acquired gxp.

Given it is long out of warranty the gmpp tune seems like the least bang for the buck now.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I would give DDM a call and ask. They are good folks and in my experience pretty candid in their communications

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Stick with DDM. Dave is tremendous!!! Not sure what you're looking or why the difference... Maybe one is a logged tune and one is a canned tune? Post links so we can help.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Looking at the links, it appears that the Trifecta tune is a canned tune. The DDM tune you will do some data logging and send them the log file, and they will make adjustments and send you back a more customized tune for you cars. Check with Dave to be certain. If your car has over 50k, DDM would be the way to go as sometimes sensors become a little off as they age.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, I sent Dave a PM with no response back so I guess I will have to call them to be discuss.
By the time I add the cable in (which I would like to have) the tune is upwards of $625

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
A good tune is so worth it in these cars... DDM throws holiday sales all the time. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but. but. but.
I want it now, I can't use it in December in MI.
they need to do a Xmas in July sale (y)
This car is way more fun than I expected it to be and can't believe it took us this long get something like it.
Guess it was fate that we missed out on an 07 Miata touring a day before we picked this up :)
This is my wife's car but my toy!

Think I could get some package deal with backbone and probeam :cool:

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Ok I feel guilty because I love DDM but I went through the same decision making process a few months ago. (I am buying everything else I can from DDM though) I already had a trifecta account from my first GXP and I got the middle price tune from Trifecta.
Just installed a couple weeks ago and they are offering data logging and refinement with the middle one. It did include the cable and I don’t have to deal with the hassle in sending it back which is nice. The cable they sent me was black instead of the old red one.
Other than that it all went the same as the first time.
Still waiting on my DDM charge pipes (back ordered) to do the data log and resend to Trifecta for refinement.
I did the solo Mach shorty and hi-flow cat then dropped in the tune.
It is 95% there out of the box so ...

after I did all this I saw post about not being able to get trifecta on the phone and I know that you can callthe good people at DDM.
Also Dave at DDM has more than a little experience tuning and working this platform so pay the extra for DDM if you want the service and support.
Trifecta has been good about returning emails but I have don’t know if they even offer a number to call...

it’s a tough call, but I lean towards DDM if you want to be able to speak to a human :)

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
but. but. but.
I want it now, I can't use it in December in MI.
they need to do a Xmas in July sale (y)
This car is way more fun than I expected it to be and can't believe it took us this long get something like it.
Guess it was fate that we missed out on an 07 Miata touring a day before we picked this up :)
This is my wife's car but my toy!

Think I could get some package deal with backbone and probeam :cool:
Hopefully you'll join us on some of our cruises this summer in MI. And also join us at the National meet in Bellaire (Traverse City) in June. As far as sales go....haven't seen too many from anyone this year as it's been a great year for all of them. Heck, just bought my Camaro 1LE 4 weeks ago and thinking about selling it already because I can make $6k on it already.....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just an FYI, I have just installed my cold side plumbing and started the process of data logging the stock tune and performance for Dave at DDM to start tuning my car. I went ahead with this route as I can use the HP tuning software for my Mustang as well (just have to buy extra credits.) I still have to do a WOT data log but I will update accordingly so you have an idea of what it all entails.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
out of curiosity, where are the sensors located that I am supposed to look at to make sure I still have the factory tune and not the 3 bar sensors?

·
Registered
4,659 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,484 Posts
If you read the reviews on Trifecta's website it looks like Trifecta used to charge 200.00 for that tune 2 years ago. 150.00 price increase in 2 years is a pretty steep increase.

It looks like the DDM Works tune is the same thing as the Trifecta Elite+. With Trifecta you pay the 688 and get to keep the cable. With DDM works they charge 450 and another 175 for the cable making the cost 625.00 which is cheaper then Trifecta.

If you return the cable they refund you 100.00 making the tune cost 525.00.

You should also know that Trifecta tunes are locked, and because DDM works uses trifectas tuning system it may be locked as well. This means that if you bring your vehicle to a shop and want to have it tuned on a Dyno the ECM will have to be flashed back to factory before it can be adjusted. I understand the reasoning behind this but it is the same kind of thing that car manufacturers are doing to prevent adjustment of the ECM's....

There is another option besides Trifecta and it costs about the same. You can get HP Tuners and go that route, if you do this the tune is not going to be locked and you can bring it to a shop with a dyno and have it tweaked or adjusted if you want to.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Fwiw I was told that unless you are upgrading the turbo itself, the stock K04 turbo will see no benefit from the upgraded sensors.
I have read so many threads o. This topic I may have it confused but the trifecta guys said in an email when I asked whether I should upgrade the sensor given my stock IC/Turbo + charge tubes and solo hiflow cat-to-tail:
“No. Difference.”

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,484 Posts
@HHGadget

It can get really close to the fence with the stock sensors. I believe the stock ones are 2.5bar. that means the maximum pressure they are able to read is 36.2594 PSI. If you are at sea level and the boost goes up to 20psi the map sensor will read 34.70psi.. 14.70 + 20 = 34.70psi

It is not good to operate a sensor that close to 100%. Even the accelerator position sensors in the Solstice don't go up to 100%, they get up to somewhere about 93%

You are correct in not needing to replace the sensors if you do not push more then 20psi from the turbo. I would advise changing them if the sensor reading is at or above 32.63346 psi or about 18psi on the boost gauge at sea level. This would be 90% of the sensors capacity.

The ECM doesn't give a hoot about the boost pressure at all. It only cares about the absolute pressure. This is the number that is used by the ECM. It only uses that number because as elevation changes the barometric pressure changes. So if the ECM used the boost psi as the target then people at high altitudes would have a lower pressure going into the engine thus less o2 and lower power. So at 8500 foot elevation the baro is 10.7psi. the boost pressure gauge would read 24psi the same car at sea level would see 20psi on the gauge. The exact same amount of air is going into the engine when looking at the absolute reading.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ive got the trifecta budget tune without the 3 bar sensors and it was explained to me that EPA requirements were the sole reason that they needed to be changed. Apparently,the EPA requires that there needs to be some headroom in the sensor reading capacity of an emissions system in case there is a emission fault in the car that needs to be diagnosed through the sensors. It had nothing to do with performance at all.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Well regardless of the side of the sensor debate you sit on the good news is that you can nowadays get a plug and play harness with them if you choose to upgrade. Thereby avoiding the many threads i have read about crimping vs twisting vs soldering the new ones on when adapting the new sensors to the stock wiring :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The current sensors are 2.7 Bar right? I swear I have seen that in multiple posts.
How many people just get the tune and leave the sensors alone?
This car is not going to live at WOT but want some punch when we do want to "get there quick"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts