Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone here who has tried this? It appeals to me for a variety of reasons, mainly that it appears to be totally reversable.

Budget LNF tune - Want one of Trifecta's premium 2.0 turbo tunes at a discount? If your vehicle is bone stock, or mostly stock (drop-in filter, downpipe and charge pipe upgrade ONLY), you may qualify for the LNF budget tune. There is NO datalogging support with this tune, it is truly a "canned" tune. If you order this tune, and end up needing or wanting adjustments, you will be required to pay a datalog analysis and adjustment fee ($300 additional). EZ Flash (programming cable) delivery method only, GT Tuner orders not eligible.

2007 - 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2007 - 2009 Saturn Sky Redline
2008 - 2010 Chevrolet HHR SS
2008 - 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt SS

Price: $200 Excludes shipping, and security deposit (if required)

To order this tune, click on this link, and make sure you specify "Budget LNF tune" in the additional comments section on the order form to receive the special pricing (dealers may also order this tune at the lower price point).
So, a few questions:

Does it improve performance in any real way? The dyno charts did not include this one, and I am not interested in only 10HP increases, may as well stay stock.

Does it work in invisable mode and allow passing of emissions?

Is it really as easy to install as they say?

Any drawbacks to a bone stock car?

Any other drawbacks?

Thanks,

Jim :cool:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Is there anyone here who has tried this? It appeals to me for a variety of reasons, mainly that it appears to be totally reversable.

So, a few questions:

Does it improve performance in any real way? The dyno charts did not include this one, and I am not interested in only 10HP increases, may as well stay stock.

Does it work in invisable mode and allow passing of emissions?

Is it really as easy to install as they say?

Any drawbacks to a bone stock car?

Any other drawbacks?

Thanks,

It will get you power close to the GMPP tune (heck perhaps even more)

It does not need to work in invisible mode, as smog check places check for DTCs

It's as easy as pie to install, im sure it is a simple plug in, turn on, upload, and drive.

no drawbacks, except the need for more power..

You're welcome

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:thumbs:

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
My guess is this is going to be the "base" tune that Vince sends out when you place an order. There is no doubt that base tune increases power. I had the GMPP tune on my car and then loaded the Trifecta tune, it was more powerful (I had a Solo Street Race exhaust) than the GMPP tune.

What you get in addition with the regular tune is the ability send back data logs and continue refining the tune for your car. I did this last year 4 or 5 five times with Vince, and will be doing some more here this spring with my other additions to the car this winter.

If you just want some more power, this is a great affordable (in the world of tunes) way to get this done.

Loading was EASY, provided you have a laptop. Plug the cable into the OBDII port, fire up the software, follow the prompts.

This would be my suggestion if you just want some more power, and not looking to fine tune for your specific set of performance modifications.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Since I do not intend any performance mods at all, no exhaust, no freeflow cat, no CAI, nothing, this tune should give me 60-90 hp and a little more torque according to Vince. It should retain all the normal drivability, and pass emmissions and be revertable. Sounds like a great low buck enhancement to the car with minimal risk.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How is this tune going to match the GMPP one without the 3 bar sensors?
You would have to ask them that one. I suspect part of the answer would be that Trifecta doesn't have to worry about maintaining warranty or get CARB certified, so are more free to make adjustments GMMP would not be able to make. But that is just a guess on my part.

·
Registered
329 Posts
How is this tune going to match the GMPP one without the 3 bar sensors?
the 3 bar sensors aren't there to necessarily provide more boost (i never saw more than 18-19 sustained, 21-22 peak when i had GMPP and 3 bar sensors installed), they're there for diagnostic and emissions reasons. there is also a lot more to a tune than just raising/sustaining boost. air/fuel, spark/cam timing, cam angles/load, etc come to mind. and there's no doubt that in addition to reaching and sustaining more boost (i'm pegged at 23 on the budget tune with stock - 2.7 bar - sensors), as well as all those tables and others, vince's budget tune is superior to GMPP in every way. read this article from a member of the GMPP team that provided some early insight into the LNF tune:

GMTunerSource.com - Cobalt LNF Turbo Upgrade Update 8/5 ? Q&A

regarding the 3 bar sensors:
Q:Regarding the 3 bar MAP and TMAP sensors that come with this kit, what real world advantages do they actually provide? Don't the stock sensors have enough range to reliably read the boost levels that this stage kit will peak at and that the stock turbo can push? Are they included so as to have more room for future upgrades, or to include hard parts in the kit so that it doesn't seem like the stock map is holding the car back?

A:The 3.0 bar map sensor is required because the added boost for the stage kit uses up the diagnostic "dead band" of the production 2.7 bar sensors. Now stay with me here and I’ll explain: Any sensor that is used in controlling the engine must be able to be diagnosed for problems and reported to the drive via the "service Engine Soon" light and reported to the repairing technician via the stored trouble code. With any sensor the top, say for this example, 5%, is reserved to be able to tell if the sensor has "failed high", constantly reading high. If the sensor was not changed and we boost into the dead band we cannot fully diagnose all the sensor's possible failure modes. Therefore the sensors were required to be changed to meet the diagnostic requirements of the emission certification regulations. Hopefully that helps everyone better understand the situation with the sensors.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Will you feel it? Oh yes. You WILL feel it.

I'm used to road racing a Viper with more than twice the power of a GXP -- and after I flashed my wife's bone-stock Solstice I was simply shocked at the results. It went from a mildly interesting little roller skate to an impressive little rocket. Sad to see just how much performance GM left on the table with these cars.

In theory I didn't need the support, his off-the-shelf tune worked just fine. However, the support was nice for peace-of-mind since the car threw a bunch of codes at first. Eventually I realized the intercooler pipe was leaking under boost so it wasn't the tune's fault at all, but had I been without support, those initial problems would have freaked me out quite a bit. Vince is very patient, very helpful, and ultimately I didn't mind spending a few extra bucks.

I've had other, faster cars that I've spent more for custom dyno tuning, and the results weren't as dramatic.

Worth every dime.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is sounding better and better. I think I will order the tune. For the price, it sounds like a no brainer!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Will you feel it? Oh yes. You WILL feel it.

I'm used to road racing a Viper with more than twice the power of a GXP -- and after I flashed my wife's bone-stock Solstice I was simply shocked at the results. It went from a mildly interesting little roller skate to an impressive little rocket. Sad to see just how much performance GM left on the table with these cars.

In theory I didn't need the support, his off-the-shelf tune worked just fine. However, the support was nice for peace-of-mind since the car threw a bunch of codes at first. Eventually I realized the intercooler pipe was leaking under boost so it wasn't the tune's fault at all, but had I been without support, those initial problems would have freaked me out quite a bit. Vince is very patient, very helpful, and ultimately I didn't mind spending a few extra bucks.

I've had other, faster cars that I've spent more for custom dyno tuning, and the results weren't as dramatic.

Worth every dime.
When you say I/C pipes were leaking, do you mean the couplers??? In which I'm guessing some good T-bolt clamps would fix that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
When you say I/C pipes were leaking, do you mean the couplers??? In which I'm guessing some good T-bolt clamps would fix that.
Yeah, the flexible hose going from the metal IC pipe to the intake manifold.

I actually just removed the stock clamp and took off the metal band that was under it (which limits how far you can tighten the clamp) and cranked it down a little tighter.

I do have some T-bolt clamps but none of them are the right diameter. The stocker seems to be holding just fine this way, though, so I'm leaving well-enough alone.

Drove her car again this morning and was again very surprised at the quickness with this tune. You can find yourself doing 80 without really meaning to.

Vince is the man.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I just ordered the budget tune for my 09 GXP on Friday. I was trying to see why my car wasn't starting and I tried emailing Vince to see if it was my ECM and was more than helpful (and I hadn't even bought a tune yet). I've got a good feeling about it and there seems to be a lot of forum users showing it as their mods. My only mod will be norms GTO CAI hood. We'll see in a month how it feels.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I talked to Vince today and for what I want, (basic boost) the Budget LNF seems to fit the bill. He answered all of my questions. I'm excited to get the tune software and the EZ cable. He said the flash takes @10-15 minutes.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm really looking forward to it! Not long now!

·
Registered
20 Posts
the 3 bar sensors aren't there to necessarily provide more boost (i never saw more than 18-19 sustained, 21-22 peak when i had GMPP and 3 bar sensors installed), they're there for diagnostic and emissions reasons. there is also a lot more to a tune than just raising/sustaining boost. air/fuel, spark/cam timing, cam angles/load, etc come to mind. and there's no doubt that in addition to reaching and sustaining more boost (i'm pegged at 23 on the budget tune with stock - 2.7 bar - sensors), as well as all those tables and others, vince's budget tune is superior to GMPP in every way. read this article from a member of the GMPP team that provided some early insight into the LNF tune:

GMTunerSource.com - Cobalt LNF Turbo Upgrade Update 8/5 ? Q&A

regarding the 3 bar sensors:
Q:Regarding the 3 bar MAP and TMAP sensors that come with this kit, what real world advantages do they actually provide? Don't the stock sensors have enough range to reliably read the boost levels that this stage kit will peak at and that the stock turbo can push? Are they included so as to have more room for future upgrades, or to include hard parts in the kit so that it doesn't seem like the stock map is holding the car back?

A:The 3.0 bar map sensor is required because the added boost for the stage kit uses up the diagnostic "dead band" of the production 2.7 bar sensors. Now stay with me here and I’ll explain: Any sensor that is used in controlling the engine must be able to be diagnosed for problems and reported to the drive via the "service Engine Soon" light and reported to the repairing technician via the stored trouble code. With any sensor the top, say for this example, 5%, is reserved to be able to tell if the sensor has "failed high", constantly reading high. If the sensor was not changed and we boost into the dead band we cannot fully diagnose all the sensor's possible failure modes. Therefore the sensors were required to be changed to meet the diagnostic requirements of the emission certification regulations. Hopefully that helps everyone better understand the situation with the sensors.
I know what the 3 bar sensors do. I guess I should have made my question a lttle more detailed.
Does the aftermarket tune us the GMPP OS or the stock one?

·
Registered
189 Posts
They can use either the stock or GMPP. BTW I just installed the Trifecta 'Budget" tune on my wife's stock Red 07 GXP manual and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 are you in for a treat. The power increase is very noticeable. I let the car warm up for a few miles and on a country road hit it and I was amazed! The power increase is very noticeable. Third gear is a MONSTER! The install was easy. When it finishes, the finish line is checked. I wasn't sure if anyother windo popped up so I waited for a minute but seeing no other windows, I closed the EZ flash program, unhooked the cable and put away the laptop.

I started the car and backed out the driveway. Came to the stop sign at the endof our lane and when I pulled out it "felt" more powerful but I had no idea how much this tune meant till I got @ 4 miles down the road and the car was warmed up. I came to another stop sign and turned right onto a 2 lane major road. No one was behind me. I puleed out easy then stomped it. MAM MIA you really have to be careful. Shifted quick 1-2 then came third gear. It is a monster now. Always was my best but now incredible. My Boost stock was never over 16-17. Now 21-22! What I really like is the car driven normally is just as sedate but if you need POWER its there now. Folks, I called Vince to thank him and suggested the word Budget doesn't do justice to this tune. I'll work on a more accurate word. I can only imagine what the custom tunes do. Jim VonBaden you will be amazed what they "Budget" tune will do to your Silver Sky.
Vince Geglia is a genius and a very nice guy to boot!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice! I am looking forward to it!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Jim: Had the car out again last night for about an hour. The boost gain is amazing. You punch this car now, especially in 3rd gear and you are going to be amazed. I can't wait to hear from you when you get your tune.

1 - 20 of 234 Posts