Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once you own a cable ,what use it?I understand you would use it to read your own vehicle but is it useful in any other vehicle to read codes or is it strictly used to dump and mod your profile in the Solstice that it was purchased for?

·
Registered
731 Posts
You can read and clear codes with it. Using trifecta software. Had mine for 2 years.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That much I understand ,what I am wondering is if it is of any use in another vehicle to do the same like read and clear codes.I have a 2010 Avalanche and a 05 Silverado so it could be a useful diagnostic tool for them if it can be used that way.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shreve1 quite impressive list of mods you have there so what is left on your vehicle that is still Pontiac? LOL noticed you have a stub antenna mod,why?I hate my current antenna ,like the fact that it is short but the gain is terrible.Where I live i get good radio reception with my vehicles but with my Solstice ,well lack of a better word my reception sucks.If I travel 3 miles further South my reception improves but like I said my other trucks are just fine.I have to believe that it is the antenna gain that is the issue.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Lol , I just switched out my door panels a couple months ago with sky panels. Looks so much better. Then I switched out the dash display with the sky . Looks so much better. I get great reception with my antenna. If you need any help. Just give me a shout. I also installed a backup cam using a mirror from an Onclave

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't understand why my reception is so bad ,like I stated before the other vehicles I own all get great reception unless this antenna is just bad.Can't imagine that but I have no other answer,just wondering if there would be a way to get more gain for that antenna.
I asked if that Trifecta cable could be used to read codes and reset code on other vehicles ,do you know if it would do that or is it strictly for the Solstice?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yes it will read other Chevy models.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
The cable and software support most if not GM ALL vehicles with CAN bus and some earlier Cobalt models.

The cable and software are mainly for supporting the vehicles that Trifecta tunes but should be able to pull and reset codes for most GM 08+ vehicles.

For a shameless plug, all the Trifecta dealers are having a Labor Day weekend sale from 9/1 - 9/8 where the cable is included free with the premium tune price (not budget tune).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Will the Trifecta software display pending codes, or only active codes? Trying to figure out if it would be an adequate replacement for a CAN bus code reader.

The Trifecta cable/SW can also reportedly datalog. That initially looks like a good feature, but doing a little browsing it appears the logs may not be generally readable by the owner. Are the datalogs readable via excel (or any other off the shelf SW)?

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Not sure what you mean by pending codes. My understanding isa that when some parameter reaches a certain preset limit, a code is set. I was not aware that there was any such thing as a 'pending' code - isn't that like being a 'litte bit' pregnant?

No idea if the datalog files produced are readable by anyone but Trifecta.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Thanks for that - I wasn't aware of the pending code. I wonder how useful it is to worry about a pending code? They will either go away (be cancelled if they don't recur) of become actual codes at which point you pay attention to them. Is there any good reason to check for pending codes, other than to spot potential issues that may never materialise?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
At this point, only Trifecta and soon dealers will be able to read datalogs. If you buy something like Scan XL Pro you can use the Trifecta cable to datalog, save and analyze etc. Seems like I have read a pregnant (lol) code before it set the engine light.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the great info .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts