Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
i had the trifecta budget tune but upgraded it last spring. both tunes installed and performed flawlessly, however communication from trifecta is somewhat lacking. i paid for the upgraded tune and 2 weeks later they hadn't posted it. i emailed them and the tune showed up in my account the next day. i never received a reply or explanation. that suits my current needs, but i don't think i would use them for a more sensitive tune, just because of the communication lag (or lack).

·
Registered
407 Posts
so whoo has the best service and best tune for a NA? I not real fond of fone dodgers or lack os service/comunication companys...

·
Super Moderator
6,256 Posts
Tuning an NA isn't going to get you much. Better throttle response maybe, but that seems to be about it.

If you want more power from an NA the best option is to trade the car for a GXP or RL.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Dave has been a lot of help, but he isn't here to actually put his hands on the car. My guess is he could fix it if he was close by. Robotech has many hours in this along with my mechanic, which calls the Turbo kit absolute garbage. I did receive a refund for the tune directly from DDM at the National. But they did not want to.

Way over the credit card time frame. It actually was, before I even received the pile of crap turbo I think.

I have a new ECM and will get it reprogrammed in the next week or two. But my mechanic feels the turbo is leaking oil from the exhaust side. I have no idea what he is talking about, but will be pulling the turbo off next week. New fuel pump made no difference.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
If you want more power from an NA the best option is to trade the car for a GXP or RL.
Or install a DDM Supercharger. I am very pleased with mine. An experienced friend and I were able to install it in two easy days. Its an automatic and with the original tune it was over revving to 7200 so we tuned the shift points to a more optimum 6400. My car now runs the 1/4 in a dead heat with a friend's GXP with GMPP, both timing at 14.2xx. Whoever jumps first wins. SC is faster in the first 1/8 and GXP is faster in the 2nd 1/8 and is pulling away at the 1/4; 100 mph vs 95 mph.

·
Super Moderator
6,256 Posts
Or install a DDM Supercharger. I am very pleased with mine. An experienced friend and I were able to install it in two easy days. Its an automatic and with the original tune it was over revving to 7200 so we tuned the shift points to a more optimum 6400. My car now runs the 1/4 in a dead heat with a friend's GXP with GMPP, both timing at 14.2xx. Whoever jumps first wins. SC is faster in the first 1/8 and GXP is faster in the 2nd 1/8 and is pulling away at the 1/4; 100 mph vs 95 mph.
Very true and I did the same thing. The issue is that the SC kit (and your time) likely cost about the same as the bump to a GXP/RL, and if your friend had a Trifecta tune instead of the GMPP he would be faster. (Always assuming that the tune was installed successfully, but the same risk exists with the SC.) You also really don't have an easy path upward from where you are now.

I am not putting down the SC, remember that I installed one too, I actually prefer its driving characteristics to the turbo and my ultimate goal is three Skys: NA, SC, and RL. But realistically, the easiest path to the most power is the RL/GXP.

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
Supercharger makes a lot of sense on an NA assuming you wish to stop there. If you are likely to lust after even higher power levels, the GXP is the way to go.

I like the torque curve of the supercharger, but I love the turbo engines under boost and the lag is trivial unless you go to a turbo that is significantly higher output.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
But realistically, the easiest path to the most power is the RL/GXP.
Agreed. But there was another factor in my choice. I already owned a low mileage auto coupe and wanted to stay with that combo, so there was only a handful of cars in the world that met my needs.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ive built a few sc engines (V8 stuff) I love them, but they do suck up 1 fuel and 2, power. the the suck up of power under power dosent bother me it's the down the road cruise power sucker Im not fond of that eats gas.... I still havent decided witch way. I can do a cheep super or cheep turbo. or leave it alone and finish my 356 witch will be a lot faster.but it sure wood be nice if this was fast too....or at least not a slug. of coarse if I go SC I can go to the 3.42 gear in the back or 3.23 and get mpg back. now it's about 24 mpg same as the wifes 2005 honda brick with 2.4 and a lot more zip. I did get a cobalt header,Ill chop it up at some point to fit this car. they appear to have the tubes clocked rong.....go figure.I thought about just making a nice bend to go from the header to the cat, but with it clocked rong Ill make it right. they might be trying to make it sound like a subi.....you cant fix stupid

·
Super Moderator
6,256 Posts
........and the lag is trivial unless you go to a turbo that is significantly higher output.
I thought so too, until I drove the 2.4 with the roots blower. The turbo lag is exceptionally small, but the SC actually seems to anticipate.
Agreed. But there was another factor in my choice. I already owned a low mileage auto coupe and wanted to stay with that combo, so there was only a handful of cars in the world that met my needs.
A valid reason for sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Update: car has now been towed to the GM dealer and they can't do anything but order a new ECM ($650 + labor). Is there anybody that can send me one that has an aftermarket tune like Trifecta pre-downloaded? Any used ECMs out there? Any phone numbers and/or email addresses of who to get in touch with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I *may* have one that will work for you. Need year, auto vs manual - and, preferably, a picture of your current ECM. (Specifically, a part number and/or pictures of the part where the harness connects to it.)

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
PM hoosier GXP He has them. You can use them cleared and re VINed I guess. I have one for mine, but haven't had it done yet. The dealer will have to install the initial tune though.

You can't just stick some one else's in. Has to match the VIN in the BCM. Car will not run I have been told by Hoosier and my mechanic, plus numerous times on the board.

I have one I am taking out of my car, but also having it wiped clean as a back up. If the new ECM fixes my problems, the old one will be available I think. As long as I am certain it is fixed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I *may* have one that will work for you. Need year, auto vs manual - and, preferably, a picture of your current ECM. (Specifically, a part number and/or pictures of the part where the harness connects to it.)
It is an '07 manual GXP (obviously) I don't have access to the car now as it is in the shop, but I'll have them cancel the order on a new ECM if I can find one cheaper.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
My spare won't work for you.

See the Performance Autowerks link above. They'll re-VIN the ECM for you for another $25. I'm guessing the dealer is going to charge you an hour labor to swap the ECM, which is ridiculous as you don't even have to use any tools to do it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So if the GM dealer has to write your VIN on the ECM for the car to run, they probably would only do it for stock tuning?

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
That would be up to the individual technician, ultimately (and which way their boss is facing at the moment), but there are some very real liability concerns when working on any modified vehicle - whether that be hardware or software changes. I've not heard of any dealer willing to install an aftermarket tune, and, if they did, they'd need an HPTuners interface, LS1Edit or something similar. This won't work with a Tech II.

And, you'd need the new tune, which they would not be able to flash (unless it's the GMPP tune which is basically a waste of time).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
My spare won't work for you.

See the Performance Autowerks link above. They'll re-VIN the ECM for you for another $25. I'm guessing the dealer is going to charge you an hour labor to swap the ECM, which is ridiculous as you don't even have to use any tools to do it.
I could easily do the install myself?

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I could easily do the install myself?
Installing the ECM is trivial. It's on the LH side firewall near the coolant reservoir and windshield wiper fluid tank. It's held in place by plastic clips and the wiring harness connectors.

Installing the tune requires an HPTuners interface, which RPM will (and I believe PWerks will) rent to you.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts