Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! So I have been lurking for a while lusting for a kappa platform vehicle to play with and I was finally able to pick up a low mileage 2008 Solstice GXP a few weeks ago. This car is awesome!

On the Monday I bought the car I ordered the Trifecta budget tune from DDMWorks after reading so many great reviews and hoping to get some quick extra power as I was planning to go to the track that Friday. I didn't get the tune until the next Monday, but I didn't mind since I was able to get a baseline quarter mile time (14.184 on crappy stock 2008 tires).

Anyway, I installed EZFlash and downloaded the file and was ready to go. Unfortunately, when I went to install the file I got an error message saying, "Unable to proceed: EZFlash has determined there is an updated calibration for your vehicle available. Please contact your TRIFECTA reseller and request the callibration update. Vehicle calibration will be aborted at this time. (E0088)"

I sent an email to DDMWorks and Ivy said she hadn't seen this error before. She sent me another version of EZFlash, but that version would crash when trying to install. She then sent me a link with the same version I originally had and I got the same error that I originally had, again.

Last Monday I sent Ivy an email letting her know and she sent me a response back on Tuesday saying she would get with Steve that morning. I haven't heard anything since, so I just thought I would throw it out here to see if anyone else has seen this kind of error and what, if any, resolution did you find.

Ivy has been great to work with, but I am seriously anxious to get the tune installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Spencer

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Have you considered that the car may have the tune already installed?

Have you pulled a maintenance report from the GM system?

An option would be to verify the ECM software at the dealer perhaps have them return it to factory load then try the tune install again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your thoughts, Rob! I didn't really consider the possibility of it already having the tune as my quarter mile time seemed to reflect a pretty typical stock time (correct me if I'm wrong).

If it did have a tune on it, wouldn't it write over that tune?

I think you are probably right that the most practical thing would be to take it to the dealer and have them verify the tune or flash the stock tune. I know sometimes the manufacturers will update the ecm tune and i was thinking maybe I just need that update to get it to work. It's just tough trying to get time to take it to the dealer.

What do you mean about pulling the maintenance report from the GM system? I checked for codes and none came up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, Rob!

I hadn't really considered it having a tune already as the quarter mile time seemed to be pretty standard for a stock car (correct me if I'm wrong) and the boost seems pretty limited like most people talk about when stock. Plus, I would think the new tune would write over the old one anyway.

How can I pull a GM maintenance report? I haven't heard of this before, do you mean like from a dealership or is this something stored on the ECM?

Ultimately I think you are right that I should get to a dealership and have them reflash the ECM. I know the manufacturers sometimes release updated factory ECM tunes with small tweaks and I wonder if I need the latest before I can install the new tune. It is just difficult to get the time to take it in. Plus I would rather not pay their cost if I can help it.

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
if it has an after market tune, it may be "locked" to the serial number of the customer device that did the tune install. If this is the case, then any subsequent attempt to load a tune would result in an error when the comparison with the device unique code did not match with the previous licensed device.

Said another way, if you pay for the tune cable it can create a unique relationship with that particular cable and reject your attempt to install using a different cable.

Since this appears to be a unique failure and you dont know the pedigree of your car, I would get the ECM reflashed to the factory version, drive it for a couple of days to confirm its running ok, then attempt the install again.

You stated that your times of 14+ were limited by the "crappy factory tires" so even if you do have a tune, you may not realize much improvement because of the inability of the car to hook up and use the available power.

Best of luck solving this issue

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very true on all counts! I had not considered that it could have been locked. I will have to make an appointment with the dealership. I will report back after I get the results.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
If you had, or know someone that has hptuners, it will tell you if your ECM is locked.

·
Registered
299 Posts
You say boost seems pretty limited.....what boost numbers are you seeing? It's also possible you have a "selectable" tune. Mine triggers off of the cruise button, I know others have done it off of the traction button.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What version of the tune are you running? I recently installed the Trifecta tune and had an error message come up "invalid calibration file loaded". This message was an anomaly per Weller OBD Tuning and the tune was installed correctly. Secondly if you already have a tune and it's locked out, you should have received a "not able to read PCM". I have been working with Steven Weller from Weller OBD Tuning who works with Trifecta on tune issues. Try emailing Steve at - [email protected]

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
I am going to say he probably already have a Trifecta tune installed and the message is indicating this issue.
I would try was it was suggested and see if the cruise or traction control triggers the tune.

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
I am going to say he probably already have a Trifecta tune installed and the message is indicating this issue.
I would try was it was suggested and see if the cruise or traction control triggers the tune.
Great suggestion!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ghost: Good idea... Anyone in the Phoenix area with HPTuners able to help me out...?

buffyfan: As I recall, I've been seeing around 18psi @ WOT.

silver: This seems to be the first thing Ivy suggested. I was using version 1.25.x.x.

LatinVenom: So I normally drive in competition mode and with cruise control on. When the tune is set up to be triggered does it turn on under these conditions or only when cruise is off or when the traction butten is just hit once?

You guys are awesome! Thanks for helping me out and giving me some ideas!

·
Registered
299 Posts
It can be set to trigger however you want. Mine is set to trigger when cruise control is off, but it can be set to on or off. Just try all the possibilities and do a quick run to see if it boosts past 18. Cruise on, cruise off, traction on, traction off.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I def do not know as much as some here, but I have never heard of a stock gxp boosting 18psi. To me, that sounds like its tuned. I was thinking 13-15psi (depending on elevation and other factors) was about max stock boost. When I had the trifecta tune, mine was boosting around 23psi. It was boosting 13-15psi before the tune.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
Does it have GMPP sensors? That could easily be the GM upgrade if it does.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
buffyfan: I will play with it some more today, but I didn't see any difference today with different combinations.

JesseB: This morning I saw a max of 16psi. From what I've read, it sounds like max psi is based on the torque limiting stock tune that tries to keep us in the sweet spot at 260 ft/lbs. Here in the Phoenix area our DA isn't great, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see a bit higher psi to compensate. Plus I have seen others mention on the forums seeing 18psi stock.

wspohn: I will check at lunch, but I am pretty sure I have the stock sensors.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Another small tidbit of info......I was at the track a couple of weeks ago and forgot I had my cruise turned on (trifecta off) and I ran a 15.123 @93.39. Next run I turned the tune on, and ran a 13.801 @100.43 (there was a little spinning involved lol!).

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Then the best thing to do is have the dealer do a reflash of the ecm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, I hate to leave a thread hanging just in case anyone in the future has a similar problem and ends up here.

I have been working with Steven @ WOT and Ivy @ DDMWorks and thry have been very helpful. in the end I decided to try out a different laptop and that worked. the major differences between laptops was the first one I tried had Windows 8.1 64bit and the second had Windows 7.

Now I have seen as high as 24psi (just for a moment on the DIC). It seems to spool quicker and, obviously, boost higher. I can't wait to see what my new quarter mile times will be come better weather in the fall.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Aha! Very interesting!

I've found no end of random issues with older programs after going to 64-bit versions of Windows. I now run a version of 32-bit windows in a virtual machine (under the freeware Oracle Virtualbox) on top of all my 64-bit OS machines. If I ever hit issues, I try installing the program there instead.

Must admit though, I never would of thought that it would cause an issue like yours!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts