Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to go for a tune for my base that does not require hardware to be shipped around the world. Therefore DDM, PAW and RPM are off the shortlist because the ECM or tuning hardware is shipped back and forth.

That leaves Trifecta, but their website does not give any information on the tune.

Does anyone know what the Trifecta tune includes and what octane is required ?

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
They offer different tunes - a base tune for cars with little to no modifications and custom tunes based on mods. I can't speak for N/A cars, but I purchased a switchable tune for my GXP that is activated in competition mode. In base tune mode, I'm now boosting 17-18 psi peak and when I switch on competition mode, I see 26-28 psi peak boost. I paid around $400 - they sent out a cable (which I get to keep) to hook a laptop to the car and they e-mail you software and files to flash the car's computer. It was an easy 15-20 minute process and the results were immediate. At some point in the future when I add a larger turbo and fuel delivery system, Trifecta can send me an updated tune. I am running 91 octane... but I always have!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I decided to go for a tune for my base that does not require hardware?
When you say "base" are you referring to your Solstice being a base 2.4 or trifecta's base tune? If your Solstce is a 2.4, without several mechanical mods you're not really going to see any performance advantage with a tune. If you're referring to the base trifecta tune on a GXP then the base will be perfect as no real mechanical upgrades are needed to increase performance.

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure that quote is correct, it even confused me.

Yes is a base 2.4

Probably will make changes like CAI and to the CAT.

I am also interested in changing settings like max speed and cooling fan. But for some reason Trifecta (unlike for instance RPM) has no information whatsoever on what their tune does.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Not sure that quote is correct, it even confused me.

Yes is a base 2.4

Probably will make changes like CAI and to the CAT.

I am also interested in changing settings like max speed and cooling fan. But for some reason Trifecta (unlike for instance RPM) has no information whatsoever on what their tune does.
CAI won't do diddly except make more engine sound, not exhaust, noticeable. Trifecta can make some mods to the tune, not sure about the cooling fans coming on earlier as it's still going to be controlled by your t-stat. You probably should e-mail them and inquire (is Vince still there?). Again, you really won't see much of a performance gain with a stock 2.4. A HF cat will help, not sure how much, maybe another member that has a 2.4 with a HFC will chime in.

I initially had a trifecta on my redline, but have since moved on to the HP tuner and can control all those things you're looking to change, and much more!!

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Sky

Trifecta emails are not very helpful, they write they modify parameters to achieve gains they advertise. But do not advertise anything. Also no info on things like octane,auto shift times improvements and other changes.

RPM has good information, but their system requires tuning hardware to be shipped back and forth.

·
Registered
612 Posts
RPM has good information, but their system requires tuning hardware to be shipped back and forth.
I can understand that. Several years ago when I purchased my very first tune from a place called GM Roadsters (no longer in business), it required me to send my ECM to them for a bench tune. What a f'ing fiasco. They even bent a few of the pins so it wouldn't immediately connect. I fixed them and plugged it in. It was such an inconvenience that I ended up going to the trifecta. It worked well, but you had to rely on the guys at trifecta to tweak it, so I ended up with the HP tuner version, which I prefer.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
When I did my tune I waited till I had all my mods done because this is factored in with the tune,this was mentioned to me by a few people familiar with tuning and the guy that ended up doing mine . As SkyPilot mentioned doing a tune on a stock engine is a waste of money you will not see or "feel " any noticeable improvements . Why not find someone local to tune your car ? In this day and age with all the emphasis on performance especially small displacement engines I have to believe that there is someone in your area that can do this .

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
I have a very fancy PWerks turbo kit that you can have for cheap. But, you have to take the car that it's attached to.

Local pickup only. Ha. :)

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Disclaimer - this was all for a 2.0, not 2.4.

I literally copy and pasted all of RPM's advertised benefits of their tune in an email to Michael at Trifecta and then asked him to go line by line and let me know if the Trifecta tune would do the same things. There wasn't anything that RPM advertised that Trifecta said theirs couldn't do.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
All of the tuners do basically the same thing. (That doesn't mean that their results are the same!)

Adjust afr vs rpm vs throttle position vs boost vs gear - at minimum.

It can easily get more complicated than that. The things you can actually control in software are injectors, throttle plate, and boost via wastegate and bypass valve. But, to do that correctly, you have to take into account a number of other factors.

For those that weren't paying attention, that's a five-dimensional matrix with a nontrivial number of components. That doesn't take into account air temp, altitude, and a host of other factors. The softwares (plural) that let you tweak this stuff are not easy to navigate, and the learning curve is long. To do it right, you need at least one test car, a dyno, and a substantial time investment. Ultimately, you are paying for their time and hard-won expertise.

Their solutions will eventually converge to a single tune, or something very close to it. That's - well, math.

Trifecta makes a good product. Martin @ RPM makes a great product. DDM sells Trifecta (which is, as already stated, a great product) and Performance Autowerks make a great product. Which one is right for you depends on your relationship with the vendor, your mods and where you got them, and, in this case, your location.

They're all great companies, but the distinguishing factor at this point isn't so much the tune as it is customer service. (You do NOT WANT TO BE STUCK WITH A BAD TUNE THAT YOU CANNOT REVERT.) I've bought a ton of stuff from Dave Gilbert (Performance Autowerks) and he's a good guy, and they respond quickly. DDM has always done a great job for me. RPM (Martin) is phenomenal. I like 'em all, and that means competing on relationship, service and price. I'll tend to pay more for a product from a vendor with whom I am familiar and with whom I've had a positive experience than I would with an unknown entity.

These are all small shops, and the vendors work hard to make a great product. It really comes down to who gives you warm & fuzzy feelings, and who doesn't.

Good luck!

(Our confusion was because you said "go for a tune for my base" - which typically implies a base Solstice or Sky, with a 2.4, in which case there is very little point in a tune. Base tune is a different thing entirely.)

Caveat
Trifecta does something that no one else here has advertised: switching tunes.

Now, I'm a software guy who got his start in embedded systems. I can imagine a few ways that could work, but that would require pretty intimate knowledge of the hardware. I don't even know which MCU is in the ECM, so finding a datasheet is difficult.

Whoever made the first rev of the tune with the switch either knew someone at GM (or the ECM OEM) or had a really great epiphany.

Either way - these things involve a ****load of work. If I were them, starting price would be about $40k. And I would starve.

Also, to pretend that these guys don't study each others' work would be a bit naive. I have copies of several different tunes, and the similarities are pretty striking. (I will not share these, and I have paid full price for the tunes that I use.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actually Martin at RPM will sell you a cheap PC ($250ish) and no more shipping back and forth in addition to the HP tuner and everything can be done remotely with no extra shipping.
I have a 2007 Redline and I am upgrading Turbo, downpipe, intercooler, intake tubes ... and I will tell you Martin Scott at RPM Performance is incredibly helpful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts