Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 08 GXP for a couple months, now. It came with just a single key and remote. The remote will pop the trunk and make the horn blow but, will not work the door locks. The power locks work from the interior door switches but have never worked with the remote Any thoughts on a remedy?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,536 Posts
I've had my 08 GXP for a couple months, now. It came with just a single key and remote. The remote will pop the trunk and make the horn blow but, will not work the door locks. The power locks work from the interior door switches but have never worked with the remote Any thoughts on a remedy?
It may be that the lock and unlock buttons on the remote are worn out and aren't making proper electrical contact inside the remote.

Without getting a new remote and getting it programmed to the car at a dealership, it becomes very difficult to diagnose.

For what it's worth, the car was delivered with 2 keys and 2 remotes when it came from the factory.

If you need more information use the google search option up on the top left of the screen to search the forum for "key fob".

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Per Dave :agree:

Take the remote apart (unclip the shell) and bridge the door lock button tracks with a piece of aluminum foil and see if they work then. If so, Dave's correct and you can get new shells and rubber membranes to fix it on eBay for like $5.

If that doesn't work, then the circuit board is probably failed and you'll need a whole new remote and programming at the dealership. But it's most likely the rubber buttons.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,536 Posts
:agree:

As usual, TS has a just a bit better answer than me. I always forget about that aluminum foil trick. Doh!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll try it this weekend. Keeping it under cover until the tropical
storm clears out of New England on Saturday :)

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
If it is the buttons (as TS says - it almost always is) you can get the replacement rubber on e-bay (as TS says). Or you can get a permanent fix.

Keylessfix - Home

I bought a set of 2 from keyless fix a few months ago and the one that was put into service has been working fine. About $20 for the pair, but a lIfetime warranty.

·
Super Moderator
16,608 Posts
The answers above are all good and accurate. Good job. In the interest of completeness . .

1) You can buy new remotes, but they require programming by a dealer because its a security issue for the car.
2) Many (most?) of our remotes had a solder joint fail on the clip that retains the battery inside the body of the remote. It is easily repaired and many of us have done so at home.
3) over time the rubber membrane that provides the action inside the remote can and does wear out and fail. The easiest approach is to buy new / replacement membranes from the source on eBay and repair it by replacing the membrane in your remote.

Good luck with your particular issue. Remember GM loves us one and all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys Rock! The aluminum foil test worked and I ordered the new button pads from Ebay. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Same thing happen to me a while back. The silicone pad contacts went bad. I orderd a new pad and colored case

1 - 11 of 11 Posts