Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a Solstice but this trunk thing is really bugging me. When I look at the pictures, it seems like you have to unsnap the back of the soft top everytime you want to get to the trunk. Is this accurate?

If so, what were these guys thinking - that is really a kluge. The trunk is tiny too, can you still fit in a bag of golf clubs when the top is down?

Any thoughts from GM about improving both the snaps and the trunk size problem for '07? :willy:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Answers to your questions....

Atldriver said:
I am thinking about buying a Solstice but this trunk thing is really bugging me. When I look at the pictures, it seems like you have to unsnap the back of the soft top everytime you want to get to the trunk. Is this accurate?

If so, what were these guys thinking - that is really a kluge. The trunk is tiny too, can you still fit in a bag of golf clubs when the top is down?

Any thoughts from GM about improving both the snaps and the trunk size problem for '07? :willy:
One small golf bag will fit. No you don't have to unsnap the soft top to get into the trunk. :leaving:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Yep ... the issue with the small trunk has been around for a while and has been discussed pretty thouroughly. It is a bit of an inconvenience for a lot of people and I must admit that I'd really like to be able to fit a full-sized cooler or suitcase in the trunk, but most of us here seem willing to deal with it the way it is. Hopefully they will come up with a way to make the space a bit more useful in future model years.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
TOY4TWO said:
The solstice trunk is par for the course in this segment. Go look at the MR2 Spyder "trunk".
Hey, I was pretty serious. If it had no trunck at all it wouldn't stop me from buying the car. It really has all the truck space I need.

·
5,600 Posts
Two of the biggest problems with this fantastic car are the top and the trunk.

The trunk is so miniscule as to be almost non-existent. Think of it as a really, really big glove box. I expect to solve the problem by adding a rear-deck luggage rack. That is objectionable to many, so I am in the minority there. Still many others won't be able to own this car because the trunk is just too darn small to tolerate.

The top is a bit funky. The rear buttress that snap into holes in the rear deck-lid are there for looks. They do flip up automatically when you activate the trunk release, but you do have to snap them in place each time you close the trunk. Bad design, but the GM designers appartently thought it was a small price to pay for a more elegant top than simply chopping the top straight off at the leading edge to the trunk. I suppose you could simply leave the buttresses folded up and not deal with it. I don't think that would look too good.

This is a fantastic, gorgeous, true sports car with some serious flaws. I like to call them "character attributes." These character attributes will cause me my share of frustration. I have my theories on why the trunk was left so small, but the fact is - the car is what it is. We must now deal with it. Like you, I wish the problems with the top and trunk were solved, but I love the car so much I have to get one, warts and all.

Just waiting for the 2007 turbocharged GXP. You'll be able to spot my car easily. It's the one with the bright chrome luggage rack on the back. :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey, don't be so harsh with new members. He asked a legit question. It's probably one of the first things we all had to get over - "am I going to be able to live without a real trunk?"

And I'm with you, Jimbo, I'm waiting for the GXP turbo, and mine will also have some type of luggage rack on the back. :lol: You purists can go on and on about not needing a trunk, but my wife and I will need room to store enough stuff for a romantic weekend get-away. Yeah, Yeah - I can hear the replies - "you only need a gym bag or two!" We'll see, I'll have to see how much I can cram in there once it's in my driveway! :lol:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Atldriver said:

Welcome to the forum Altdriver. Jimbo pretty well described the truck operation when the roof is up....Push a button and the top automatically unsnaps and the trunk pops open. Close the trunk and then manually snap the two back wings of the top in place.

GM makes a point of saying you can fit TWO golf bags in the trunk with the top up but they don't really point out that these are VERY SMALL golf bags. It might be a tight squeeze, but I'm thinking you probably could fit one, more normal sized bag in the trunk but that'd be with the top up and a tight fit even then.

I'm betting that the '07 model will be identical to the '06 but we can always hope. Really it's an interesting idea. Most sources say there'll be a turbo charged version for '07. With the extra HP comes lower gas mileage. With lower gas mileage comes a cruising range getting not that much more than 200 miles. There's a very slim chance that the tank will be redesigned for the turbo and normal Solstices will get a different tank too. But very slim's better than none I guess. Think I'll start this last paragraph as a separate thread.

·
2,574 Posts
ajkelly said:
Hey, don't be so harsh with new members. He asked a legit question. It's probably one of the first things we all had to get over - "am I going to be able to live without a real trunk?"

And I'm with you, Jimbo, I'm waiting for the GXP turbo, and mine will also have some type of luggage rack on the back. :lol: You purists can go on and on about not needing a trunk, but my wife and I will need room to store enough stuff for a romantic weekend get-away. Yeah, Yeah - I can hear the replies - "you only need a gym bag or two!" We'll see, I'll have to see how much I can cram in there once it's in my driveway! :lol:
A quick search would show you that the "oh my God, it's got no trunk" subject has been talked out to say the least. Secondly, If you've seen the car there's plenty of room for enough stuff for a romantic weekend getaway, not if you're going ballroom dancing tho, only if you're in tune with the spirit of a bare bones roadster experience, which this was designed as. See Bob Lutz' many references. ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had an idea regarding getting enough luggage in the trunk for a weekender. Since the flat tire fix is in the form of a 12v pump and a can of (high quality) fix-a-flat, why not a pump that also acts as a vacuum? Get luggage or those storage bags that can be vacuum packed to make it as small as possible. Then, even with the top down you should easily be able to fit several changes of clothes for two people for a few days.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Atldriver said:

I had a Z3 Roadster... i used to be able to fit a set of golf clubs until i put the cd changer in it... as for roadsters go... no trunk space.. pack light... or bring your credit cards... ;-)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Am i the only one that wants to vomit at the constant mention of ppl's obsession with golf?...."Wow, that is a really great car, it would bring me years of enjoyment...oh, never mind, i can't fit my silly little bag that enables me to play a silly little ellietist game that takes up enough land for a small farm and puts enough pollutants in to the ground to make the grass hum at night (grass does not naturally grow like that, its only a result of chemicals)"

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm not thrilled about having to snap down both rear sides of the top every time you open the trunk...(if in fact thats the case)

Sounds like a pia...

Maybe you can just close one side and the other side closes itself?

Believe it or not...this may be a deal breaker if its a real pain..

Maybe the coupe thats rumored might be a better fit?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts