Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 07 GXP has a trunk leak in heavy rain. After testing with a hose etc. the only place I could leak water into the trunk is through the holes in the rear deck that accept the pins for the top buttresses. I removed the inner liner and found that the interior of the deck lid is open to the trunk, so any water that gets in the holes will get into the trunk. Apparently the seals around the buttress pins are not completely sealing. I also noticed that the left buttress pin still has about 1/8" play when the pin is engaged. The other one is solid. Perhaps the left side is not compressing the seal enough? The pin is threaded into the base apparently for adjustment but it will not turn easily. How can this be adjusted?
Has anyone else had this problem? How did you solve it? Are there improved seals available? Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I wouldnt think that the rain would get over the chrome disks on the deck lid to get inside, since the top should be covering over all that area. maybe the water is getting under the disks?....I too have been dealing with a coy pond in my trunk and think i fixed it finally....(knocks on wood)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sol inthe South, I am not certain this is where my leak is coming from. What did you do to fix your leak?

·
Registered
174 Posts
different beasts we are dealing with.....silicone is my friend now....

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
It sounds like your leaking buttress is not fully sealing. You can address this by shimming the latch. Move it down slightly until it pulls the rubber seal fully closed. Consider adding shims (washers) to the fasteners to move it down.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like your leaking buttress is not fully sealing. You can address this by shimming the latch. Move it down slightly until it pulls the rubber seal fully closed. Consider adding shims (washers) to the fasteners to move it down.
Thanks for the advice. Is there no way to crank the pin down further to tighten the engagement?

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Is there no way to crank the pin down further to tighten the engagement?
Yes

You shim the latch lower and it holds the pin lower.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As I recall the pin is adjustable. Notice the flats for a wrench and the threads. Can't remember if you need to remove the torx screws to get access to the other side.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Here's the drawings and instructions for the latch and the striker pin. I don't see any adjustments, for what it's worth.

I also checked the Solstice and Sky Body Adjustments publication and found no adjustments pertaining to the rear latch striker pin.

Good Luck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Were it me, I would pull the trunk lid liner down enough to get access to the latch. Then loosen the mounting bolts and insert spacers to move the latch "down" enough to assure adequate tension on the buttress striker pin rubber seal to stop water intrusion.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Were it me, I would pull the trunk lid liner down enough to get access to the latch. Then loosen the mounting bolts and insert spacers to move the latch "down" enough to assure adequate tension on the buttress striker pin rubber seal to stop water intrusion.
Now I understand. You are moving the latch in the trunk lid down rather than moving the pin in the buttress. I will try that. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts