Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacement rubber pad for convert top hold down? Where to get or what to use for replacement?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I made one out of an old black mouse pad and used heavy duty double sided tape to hold it on.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
Oscoda? I spent my childhood in Tawas City!

Are you talking about the pads on the underside of the trunk lid - left and right?

You can use just about anything for the pad but I had our maintenance guy loan me some super-goo from 3M to glue them on. Jury's still out as it's only been a couple of months, but if this is the area you're talking about I'll fill you in on the results.

I know that over the last 5 years 3M has been working on VHB (very high bond) adhesive tapes, a lot of which are actually a "foam" substrate between the surfaces to be bonded. The premise is that the resiliency of the "foam" will allow the adhesive to migrate into the surface irregularities and increase the bond strength, as opposed to a "flat" tape that stays mostly flat.

I'm coming across like friggin "Cliff" from "Cheers" here. But if you want info, let me know!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Luckily I found my 'missing' pads in the trunk and glued them back on with contact adhesive. Wanted to get a blanket from JPM to cover the top while in the trunk, but until that happens I use a black terry cloth bath towel. Seems to work fine for an $8 purchase.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
Dropped by the maintenance shop this morning. 3M Hi Strength 90. Spray can is about $15.00. We use it to attach rubber gaskets and seals on equipment on our molding floor. Holds up well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts