Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
That is a considerable gap and probably needs adjusting. Others here more knowledgeable on panel alignment may be able to help you with that.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
6,366 Posts
That looks like bent hinges. probably from the wind grabbing the deck lid when someone was opening it and it get ripped out of their hand.

That is a really large misalignment.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I am in the middle of adjusting the trunk lid on both my cars.

There are two adjustments. One is moving the hinges up and down. the second is moving the lid forward and back.
If you look inside the trunk you will see the torsion bar arm and the forward hinge point. these hinge points are made large enough to allow movement of the forward hinge points up and down. In your case, you want to move the hinge point up to get the trunk lid above the edge of the bumper cover.

Then on the bottom side of the trunk lid, there are four bolts that mount the lid to the hinges. with the trunk open, you can back these bolts off enough so the trunk lid will move to the rear / bottom of its available travel.
If there is sufficient travel, the trunk lid rear edge should be above the bumper cover lip.

if it isnt, then take a look at the top edge of the bumper cover and see if someone put spacers in there. There are a number of small bolts that mount the bumper cover. Make sure there are no spacers in there

There are three studs that retain the rear facia attachment mount. They are in the trunk drain area where the large conduit passes from the left rear of the car to the trunk lid. You can back these studs off and the center portion of the facia mount will move up and down. You can push it down to get a better alignment with the trunk lid and the rear bumper cover.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Crankset Bumper

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Pics of the rear bumper cover adjustment points

I used an E 6 socket on the mounting bolts. They have a square head. By loosening them, you can move the center bumper cover up or down about a 1/4 inch either way. Just treat them as left hand threads. :)

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust

Grille Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

Table Lighting Road surface Art Gas

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
look at the side gaps.if they are straight it may be the cover issue.
Its hard to tell without being able to see it. We would need to see the front gap and the sides at the front. If the lid fits the fenders and the front, then I would start by moving the bumper cover down.

The near corner does not look badly gapped. I would start with moving the bumper cover down and see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Rob,

Thanks for including the photo of the ratchet. When I first looked at the photos I did not see it and wondered what you were talking about. Then I saw the ratchet is about the same tone as the paint in the area. Boom...there it is. I was getting lost in the image. :cautious: Rattlesnake in the leaf litter...love circles and arrows to help my eyes sometimes. :oops:

Richard Snipes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts