Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day good people,

2008 Solstice GXE.

I do not know the exact proper words of the parts though I will do my best to describe the problem. If anyone could be so kind as to graciously hopefully directly on how to fix this it would be very much sincerely appreciated.

When I press the open trunk button the "wings" pop out fine, sometimes the trunk does not open. If I put the wings back in the "chrome holes" and "rock it" a little bit (push down and pull up on the trunk with hands), then push the open trunk button again they trunk opens. Sometimes I will put the wings back in the holes and pull up to lift the trunk lid up, though it does not open; I'm assuming I'm achieving some sort of "un-sticking" process. Once I do one of these things or both the trunk will repeatedly open just fine and works seemingly perfectly. Generally but not always when I come back the next day the same problem thing starts again.

I'm hoping obviously that it's not the mechanism that makes the trunk pop open going bad as I have a feeling that is expensive to replace and/or repair.

As reminder for those who know me, or a notice for those who do not: I am not capable of repairing nearly anything mechanical: just not mechanically-inclined. So if it needs anything more than relative simple solution I would need to bring it to somebody to do it for me. So a follow up question which might be premature but nonetheless: I have a guy down the block who generally does work for me: if outside help needed is this something a general repairman mechanic can handle? Or is this something headed for the local GM dealer? Of course I would prefer to avoid the GM dealer because of the higher expense.

Any feedback, suggestions, and such would be awesome.

Hope everybody is healthy and enjoying the summer.

·
Super Moderator
7,315 Posts
Mine does a similar thing because the trunk lid springs are weak. I suggest trying this:

Push the button to open the trunk. If the buttresses (ie: wings) release, leave them up. Put a fingertip in one of the buttress latch holes and pull up to lift the lid, then push the button again. You do not have to pull hard. This is obviously easier with the remote, but I frequently do it using the button in the glove box, you just have to stretch a bit.

If this is the problem, there are a few options:
  • Accept the annoyance and help the lid open
  • Add a coil spring to the mechanism. There are threads about this, it is easy to do, and it is usually effective.
  • Replace the torsion springs. This is expensive, the parts may not still be available, and requires removing the rear bumper.
  • Purchase a gas spring from a place in Germany that sells parts for the Opel GT. This is about $100 plus international shipping, and is not difficult to install.
None of these options require a dealer, and the two "helper spring" options can be done by any moderately mechanically competent person. The spring replacement is quite involved.

If lifting the lid while opening doesn't work there is something else going on, so post the results and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I'll echo John's statements - my '07 started doing the same thing this year. I just put a fingertip under the lid and lift when I cycle the button a second time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the same experience and have just adapted to having my other hand ready to assist the opening after I push the glove box switch. (I have no remote) I think if you add an extra boost / spring you might regret it if on a windy day the lid flies up when caught by the breeze.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Good day good people,

2008 Solstice GXE.

I do not know the exact proper words of the parts though I will do my best to describe the problem. If anyone could be so kind as to graciously hopefully directly on how to fix this it would be very much sincerely appreciated.

When I press the open trunk button the "wings" pop out fine, sometimes the trunk does not open. If I put the wings back in the "chrome holes" and "rock it" a little bit (push down and pull up on the trunk with hands), then push the open trunk button again they trunk opens. Sometimes I will put the wings back in the holes and pull up to lift the trunk lid up, though it does not open; I'm assuming I'm achieving some sort of "un-sticking" process. Once I do one of these things or both the trunk will repeatedly open just fine and works seemingly perfectly. Generally but not always when I come back the next day the same problem thing starts again.

I'm hoping obviously that it's not the mechanism that makes the trunk pop open going bad as I have a feeling that is expensive to replace and/or repair.

As reminder for those who know me, or a notice for those who do not: I am not capable of repairing nearly anything mechanical: just not mechanically-inclined. So if it needs anything more than relative simple solution I would need to bring it to somebody to do it for me. So a follow up question which might be premature but nonetheless: I have a guy down the block who generally does work for me: if outside help needed is this something a general repairman mechanic can handle? Or is this something headed for the local GM dealer? Of course I would prefer to avoid the GM dealer because of the higher expense.

Any feedback, suggestions, and such would be awesome.

Hope everybody is healthy and enjoying the summer.
Use the search feature, type in TRUNK SPRINGS SHOT.

·
Super Moderator
16,344 Posts
I have done all three
The torsion bars are relatively inexpensive at about $20 each last time I bought a pair. But they may not fix the problem. When I replaced mine the new ones were still pretty anemic. I added the booster springs and they do help but lacked sufficient travel so I was having to hold the trunk open manually. And over time they deformed the cross brace attachment point. The lift cylinder was the answer for me. Opens readily and stays open

1 - 6 of 6 Posts