Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked in front of the Solstice display for 2 hours today at the Salt Lake Auto show. They didn't have a top installed but here is a photo of the trunk and the storge bin between the seats. Suprising to me was that the hood seems to be plastic and the placement of the antenna. (i hope a power antenna is offered)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
AWESOME! THANKS!! You are a hero with your first post.

Now the griping begins officially. :(

I'll start... Wow! That's pathetic. Good thing I wasn't planning on using it!

So, if the compartment/trunk release stays that way, the only hope we have for cupholders is if the outlined area below that door is a tray that slides out.

·
4,592 Posts
GA73 said:
I parked in front of the Solstice display for 2 hours today at the Salt Lake Auto show. They didn't have a top installed but here is a photo of the trunk and the storge bin between the seats. Suprising to me was that the hood seems to be plastic and the placement of the antenna. (i hope a power antenna is offered)
WICKED FIRST POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs

Welcome! And I'm sure you'll get the "Newbie of the Year Award" :lol

This is going to be potentially the longest thread yet on this forum!

The trunk space: definately the pizza box goes on the wifes lap, miata owners are gonna tromp on this (myself not included, I own an MSM) :jester

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Ya know what, though? To me it's a worthy tradeoff, as Bob pointed out in another thread.

I'll deal with next to zero trunk in exchange for SLA rear suspension, hydroformed frame rails, and a $20K base price. I like the look of the head fairings and the seamless reverse-opening compartment. Sure, I'd love to have a bullet-type muffler upstream in the exhaust system and a more space-efficient fuel tank in exchange for a lower trunk floor and room for some weekend luggage, but I'm getting this car for its performance potential, not for hauling groceries or even for weekend trips (though I would've liked to have that option. I'll have to look into a hitch and platform).

That being said, if this is the way it goes to production, it WILL BE the Kappa's Achilles' heel. I was expecting little to no trunk. I thought I was prepared to see little to no trunk. But I must have been harboring some false hope that it wouldn't be true, because I was STILL a little shocked to see the pic.

GA73,

Do you have any more trunk open pics from other angles?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Whoa... now that's a serious hump! Oh well, it doesn't faze me, it's not a deal breaker for me. I do see where there's going to be some serious discussion about it now though!

·
4,592 Posts
Question: was this a slip by a rep at the SLC show? Why would they show it there, and yet have strict instructions to not show it elsewhere?

GA73, you may want to go hide somewhere for a while, GM may be sending some people for those pics :jester

·
Registered
270 Posts
OH I almost forgot, thanks for the pics GA73! I hope the thugs from GM don't come calling on you... That aside, what did you think of the car otherwise? Did you like it overall?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought that the car was GREAT in person. The car doesn't need a big trunk as long as the car is big enough to hold my big smile. I thought that with the top up the trunk was big enough for a car of this size. Here's a photo from a lightly lower angle and no flash.
also here's a photo of the engine area (preproduction remember) Notice the embossed Solstice on the sound insulation.

Attachments

·
5,600 Posts
GA73,

Thanks for the awsome news SCOOP!

Not as bad a trunk as I thought, assuming the top lies flat above the hump. I think I could get two gym bags between the hump and the tail. Might even get one airline carry on right in the middle if it's on its side.

Since I want this car for travel, I can keep cheaper bulky clothes in the passenger's footwell, but unsecured. It would be nice to keep my valuables and finer linen in a good carry on or gym bag in the trunk. All this car has to hold is about the same amount as my motorcycles and I'm good to go. I had 10 week trip on my H-D Road King, so it shouldn't be any trouble in the Solstice.

This could be a tough sell for your average sportscar buyer. But it's not a problem for me. Solstice still tops my list.

Thanks again for the Scoop.

Jimbo

·
5,600 Posts
What is the object in the lower right corner of the trunk photo? Is that a retracted power antenna?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hmmmm I gotta say I hope they still offer the two tone leather option, and I hope the stitching wont be as rough looking as it is there :rolleyes a minor pet peeve perhaps but hey, the concept seats look SWEET

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was pleased by the look of the base interior-it seemed to be nicely finished in person. The camera flash sometimes picks up different details. The object in the lower right of the trunk shot is where the fixed antenna screws on. I'll have to get a power antenna or spend awhile getting used to that.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
So I assume the space behind that big hump is all the storage place we have. If that's what we got top and down I can deal with it. It's not much but if I can get a few bags of groceries in this thing I'll be happy. Still way more than a MR2. By the looks of it anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Holy crap again. That hump is huge. Camels are going to have hump envy over this. If that's the fuel tank I can't believe how big it is. All I can hope is that's some sort of bizaro pre-production 'thingy.' 'Thingy' being a technical term of course.

If this is the real trunk, and the roof uses 2 more cubic feet from that trunk space, was the trunk space it's going to use up actual usable space in the first place? It really doesn't look like you could put much of anything on or around that humb. :( This is kind of depressing to me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
First off, thanks for the amazing photos GA73!!!

Has there been any official word on whether the production models will get a power antenna? The fixed antenna in the photos above looks pretty awful, sort of a blemish on an otherwise gorgeous exterior.

I think I'd just unscrew the fixed antenna... the exhaust note will be the only "tunes" I'll need! :jester

·
4,592 Posts
brentil said:
Holy crap again. That hump is huge. Camels are going to have hump envy over this. If that's the fuel tank I can't believe how big it is. All I can hope is that's some sort of bizaro pre-production 'thingy.' 'Thingy' being a technical term of course.

If this is the real trunk, and the roof uses 2 more cubic feet from that trunk space, was the trunk space it's going to use up actual usable space in the first place? It really doesn't look like you could put much of anything on or around that humb. :( This is kind of depressing to me.
Hey brentil, sorry to hear the disappointment.

Add to that, we still don't know what it will take to access the trunk when the top is up. That has been a very valid point here in Calif where it rained for 3 weeks straight, trunk access with the top up is pretty important, and that's still a wild card with this car.

So, we have one answer (if it holds true in production) and no surprise in our favor. Let's see how the trunk access works out, hopefully not another disappointment :(

·
Registered
284 Posts
Good pics! :cheers:

Not so sure I like the content of them though. That trunk space is looking a little tight. Hopefully they can get a bit more space available by the time it hits production.

My bigger concern is trunk access with the top up.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Wow, go to sleep and all kinds of stuff happens :lol

First of all, what is that hump? gas tank? something else? Wow!

I do agree with jimbo, if the top lies on top of the hump we do have some space at the deep end of the trunk as well as the sides of the hump. All in all I was expecting worse but without the hump it would be great (but then we'd have no gas :lol)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Agree w/2KW, it's the sports car I've been wanting for years. Maybe a creative add on is going to be a small luggage rack for the short weekend trips in the mountains. This car is for fun, not family trips.

Looking forward to my first trip in it to the mountains of North Carolina. It will be a blast in the fall on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Thanks BOB!!!!

1 - 20 of 132 Posts