• Possibly, never thought about it before

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as the solstice will have only 2-4 cubic feet of storage space, would you consider a trunk rack with some sort of styled case for road trips?

Many old roadsters from the begining up unitll about the late 70's all had an option of a trunk rack. Mind you those were not overly attactive. But I really would not mind one if it was designed well and had minimal impact on appearence when not in use.

My thought for the trunk box would be one that could say have 4 or 5 chrome attachment points with say a pressure pin the you could attach and detach from inside the "storage box" Id like to see this storage box a hard plastic or even body colour smooth plastic. Keep in mind that it would have to be removable and really only used when needed.

Another option would be a chrome or black chrome rack, that you could tie the luggage down too. Depends on weather thou. Possibly just get a samsonite water proof bag to cover up the luggage then strap it on.

Sure you can fit a duffle bag in trunk, but what about bringing back those cases of wine? or bags from the shopping spree you just went on? Realisticlly for anyroad trip longer than over night you will need more space unless you are going to leave the top up. BUT WHAT IS THE POINT IN THAT?

Id be willing to pay extra for something like that, would you?

·
Registered
20 Posts
when i need the extra space i would probably take my other. As for the lugage rack, i really dont think the lugage rack would look atractive on the solstice but i would need to see a picture. Anyone want to photoshop? Maybe they can develop a storage unit that mounts on the trunk when needed but once removed there is nothing there.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I voted no because the 2-4 cubic feet of storage should be enough for what I would use the car for. Daily comute, grociery shopping, going to friend's houses, etc.

I've also seen these types of carriers on Porsches and MR2's, and they're just not appealing to me.

You can find some of them here [LINK].

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I was originally thinking

I agree that style does look bad! but with forming techniques these days and a little bit of thought a rack might look pretty damn good, how ever what i was thinking of was a box that would be totally removeable except for a few round chrome plates on the car that pins would push thru and would hold the brunt of the weight from the box. I can draw up a sketch and scan it this weekend of my idea. Then maybe someone could photoshop one up. Im sure that the attachment idea im thinking of is around for another application but I have never see in inuse. A picture will make it much clearer hopefully. Keep the input coming guys.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I voted possibly, but I'd rather see a small trailer with similar design to the Solstice. I realy wouldn't want to see the hardware on the decklid all the time that would be needed to attach an outside box onto. But a small trailer could provide a big well of space for roadtrips. Chrysler offered something like this for the Prowler, and I have seen Fiero people build their own out of Fiero rear end body panels.

Here is what I am thinking about:

and/or

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I say no, I can't stand the look of racks and boxes on roadsters, particularly on the Solstice. I'll make do with 2-4 cubic feet if I have to. The trailer idea is kind of like the problem of putting the top up. If you have to put the top up to get more trunk space, then you lose the top down experience of a roadster. If you add a trailer, then you lose the snappy handeling of a roadster. I quess I would rather put the top up than add a trailer.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Although I hope I can get by with what little trunk space there is, I had never thought of a trunk rack. I have this image of a rack with two suit cases and a spare tire sticking a foot or two above the roof, rear springs on the stops and "Just Married" painted on the back bumper! Oh, and a bird cage swinging in the breeze! :jester

I'm sure, where there's a need, there's a way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting!

So far with 5 yes, 6 no and 9 maybe's looks like the demand might be there. Hopfully either GM or a savy aftermarket producer will jump into action and get some products ready for the Solstice launch and what ever the Saturn verson will be called.
For those of you that are on the fence on this one, I found a good comparison for how big 4 cubit feet really is. Mini Fridges are in the range of 3-4 cubic feet! Now that is a box, how ever I bet that the "4 cubic feet" in these cars will be anything but square so really there wont be much if any space for even a suit case. I've a got several ideas that I think could look very good, just wish I knew how to make it happen myself.

On another note, even if GM does make a "storage option" i've seen what they put out now and most are such poor design and impemention that its hardly a viable sollution. People are going to be proud of these cars and aren't going to settle for that kinda of quality.(GM TAKE NOTE)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
I say no, I can't stand the look of racks and boxes on roadsters, particularly on the Solstice. I'll make do with 2-4 cubic feet if I have to. The trailer idea is kind of like the problem of putting the top up. If you have to put the top up to get more trunk space, then you lose the top down experience of a roadster. If you add a trailer, then you lose the snappy handeling of a roadster. I quess I would rather put the top up than add a trailer.
Its likely anytime you would need an add on box, trailer, etc to use the Solstice would be on a long distance drive, and it would only be on for the long highway ride. If its an interstate drive, towing a trailer isn't going to be a big deal anyway since there isn't many opportunities on the interstate to take advantage of the handling. Either option would mainly be there for those long hauls when you need to take a decent amount of luggage, and then they can be detached once you reach your destination to enjoy the car. They are basically a way to increase storage capacity in a pinch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trailer Idea + one other thought.

I do like the idea of a matching trailer too, how ever I live in the Rockies and Well pulling a trailer up and down the winding mountain roads is not an easy thing on the car or your nerves.
One idea that I had thought about would be if someone made a molded trunk lid to replace the current one but just make it higher, say even 8 inches high that would add about 8 cubic feet of space. Just have the hinges match up, and change the pin on the hinge to something that could be removed and put back in quickly. If the height lined up with the top of the rear rollbar cover and extended back, then curve back down to the rear of the car, and curve off to the sides it could look good too. Mind you not as good as the original but if it was designed to be swapped off, it could be a usefull accessory, it would be less intrusive than the rack or case too I guess.
Just a thought, any input?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Problem with increasing the height of the rear trunk is that there's a good chance of completely obscuring the rear view mirror's view. But hey, if you're putting a trunk cargo rack back there, you're going to block your line of sight anyways :D

·
Registered
667 Posts
As long as it has two seats (and one of those can be an option) I am cool with it. This will be a second car for me. I've got a SUV for hauling stuff. For me this is nothing more than a four wheel motorcycle for having fun with.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Chip said:
As long as it has two seats (and one of those can be an option) I am cool with it. This will be a second car for me. I've got a SUV for hauling stuff. For me this is nothing more than a four wheel motorcycle for having fun with.
I suggested this on this forum before a couple of months ago, but it might be worth mentioning again, I think a great feature, either factory or aftermarket, would be a quick release system for the passenger seat, much like they have for mini vans. Some of us won't really need the passenger seat much of the time, and could use the space. I have observed many roadster owners piling all kinds of things on the seat, no doubt damaging the fabric sometimes.

Am I crazy? If I brought such a feature to market for this car would anyone buy the kit? Just an idea that could easily be done.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
AeroDave said:
Am I crazy? If I brought such a feature to market for this car would anyone buy the kit? Just an idea that could easily be done.
I'd consider it. Most of the time it will be me in the car and I could use the space for golf clubs.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
One idea that I had thought about would be if someone made a molded trunk lid to replace the current one but just make it higher, say even 8 inches high that would add about 8 cubic feet of space. Just have the hinges match up, and change the pin on the hinge to something that could be removed and put back in quickly. If the height lined up with the top of the rear rollbar cover and extended back, then curve back down to the rear of the car, and curve off to the sides it could look good too. Mind you not as good as the original but if it was designed to be swapped off, it could be a usefull accessory, it would be less intrusive than the rack or case too I guess.
Nissan sold a car in the eighties called a Pulsar with an optional removable deck lid that converted the normal trunk to a station wagon, or rather, a hatch back. Besides that, you could remove the overseat panel (like converting a Honda Del Sol to a Civic SI).

Another route would be to make a removable fiberglass shell like an early Blazer lid that went from the back bumper all the way to the windsheld. With that, you could switch from a Solstice to a Nomad at will. Would look a little like a BMW.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
I suggested this on this forum before a couple of months ago, but it might be worth mentioning again, I think a great feature, either factory or aftermarket, would be a quick release system for the passenger seat, much like they have for mini vans. Some of us won't really need the passenger seat much of the time, and could use the space. I have observed many roadster owners piling all kinds of things on the seat, no doubt damaging the fabric sometimes.

Thats not a bad idea at all. With the seat removed, there would be a lot of space that could be used in a pinch to haul bigger items, and save the seat from abuse.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Always liked the Pulsar idea

I thought that it was a great idea, a bit ahead of its time however. If you look back at the Pulsar, it was basically what the car companies now call CUV's cross over utility vehicals. How ever implementing something like that on a solsitice would not be cost effective as an after thought.

On another train of thought, I really would like to see a version of the Solsitce coupe but with a Targa top. That would be hot!! i would snap one up in a second. Would have to be full targa and not t-tops thou.

·
Registered
667 Posts
AeroDave said:

Dave; Let's kick this around some. In addition to your idea of making the passenger seat removable, think about the possibility of a "space cube" that would use the seats mounting points and provide a "finished space" for locked stowage within the cars cockpit.
Hell, just having a passenger seat that popped out would be loved by weekend auto-Xer's. Maybe we can remap the way convertibles are designed, or at least thought about? Might be a fun exercise. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seat storage idea

One thing I have found driving my current convertible is that if you place square/rectangular objects in the passenger seat it can create heavy cross winds inside the car. The box would need to be low enough not to interfere with air flow, Or create a vaccum effect. You would also need to relocate your speakers as you would not have a stereo sound stage anymore.

A seat box could be a possible solution for single people, but just not practial for most I would think. Well not pratical for weekend trips anyhow.

One a defianate possitive, in doing a seat box, you could weight it so that it could offset your weight and could potentially improve on handling. I use a similar concept in the Fiat. I've got a sub box that offsets much of my weight. Mind you my car is 26 years old and I still have alot of work do do on the suspension so it did corner a fairly loose, but now I can corner 90deg doing around 40mph without any substanial sway or lean when I have the box in the car.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts