Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) :) :)

I know, some people hate those look a like trailers. But it would look better than the steel and wood ones.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, you might have something there. I'll become an Ice Cream man and pay for the Solstice by selling ice cream bars out of the trailer. ^^ :thumbs

Ummm.... NO! Don't think so. :crazy

Creamsicle, humpf. :mad :jester :jester

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
It's amazing how easy it is to ruin "chrome orange" with one too many mouse button clicks - then it becomes "Olga's Creamsickle Orange".

Nice rack (oops, can I say that?). You posted about 15 minutes before I could post my inferior attempt. Where did you cut the rack from, or did you draw it from scratch?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
piippor said:
Creamsicle, humpf. :mad :jester :jester
:glol Haha, sorry about the creamsicle comment! Its not just the orange color, but the white stripes that made me think if a creamsicle. Plus I was sitting at work later in the day and getting a little hungry! :lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks, I don't have so much a rack as I do a hanger. OH! you mean on the car. Yea, that was done with PhotoShop from scratch. It was quicker to make one than try to find one on the web in the right perspective.

A real rack for this thing, I think, should follow the curve around the taillights, and maybe have some sort of indent around the trunk bulges. Just to add some style and speciallization for the Solstice. Of course, I have no idea where the top is going to fall on the decklid when its in the up position.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Sweet. I like the white. Hey I like it without the top. :smile

·
Registered
91 Posts
If no one makes that trailer, I suppose you would have to buy 2 Solstices and cut one up. What would you do with the front end? :jester

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea , thats the tough part here. We have no idea how the top fits when its up. Either way, Im sure the rack would have to be a little shorter in real life. But you get the idea.

And for the trailer, if GM doesn't make it, we will have to keep an eye out for the poor souls that get into front end collisions with their Solstices.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
hoffman said:
If no one makes that trailer, I suppose you would have to buy 2 Solstices and cut one up. What would you do with the front end? :jester
There are bound to be Solstices that end up in front end accidents that would make perfect donors for a rear end trailer. I wouldn't wish anyone to have an accident of course, but it will happen and then there will be some donors for transformation to a trailer. It also may be possible to just buy body panels and attach them to a trailer frame too.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
skeptic said:
Solve the space issue?? Just make it a fastback with T-tops/Targa top.
I would think that with the clam shell deck lid, making an aftermarket hardtop/fastback/hatchback/wagon type conversion would be somewhat straight forward. The fact that the chassis is designed to be a convertable means that the conversion need not be load bearing, and so a lot easier to engineer and install. If GM doesn't address this segment of the market that might want this type of car, then there seems to be an opporunity for some one to get into the custom Solstice business or kit mod business. If the Solstice turns out to be a hit, and they sell lots of them, no doubt someone will fill that need.

·
4,592 Posts
piippor, nice job with your photoshop trunk rack!!! I like. Would prefer it to be removable if possible.

A trunk rack might not look bad as a permanent mounted item, but would definatley prefer a removable one, one we could use for weekend trips to Zion, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon! Wouldn't need it one for very day use.

Do you all think his might be a factory option from pontiac?

In the "trunk rack/space" thread, brentil posted a link to http://www.classiccarrier.com/
These are detachable, do you all think detachable ones, if not used for every day use, would leave the paint finish unharmed?
noticed on that sight, they have one for a clam shell mercedes:
http://www.classiccarrier.com/carmodel.php4?carmodel=2

AeroDave, in the same "trunk space/case" thread, you asked if we'd go for a quick release system for the pssenger seat, I say definately, think of all he day to day solutions to space that could provide

I posted this because I am very interested in weekend long trips, using light camping gear, cruising the south west, I think a luggage rack is definately the solution. BUT I would really prefer it to be removable, not permanent.

I had permanent luggage racks on both my MGBs and the Fiat, worked great. But the solstice looks better without it. Although, if they made a rack that looked like piiper's, I'd probably be interested!!!!

Loved to hear your thougths :thumbs

1 - 20 of 21 Posts