Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While acknowledging that a roadster is not for hauling cargo, several people have mentioned it would be nice to get a golf bag or weekend suitcase in the trunk.

Motor Trend quoted the Solstice trunk was 4.0 cubic feet (cut in half when top is down). Looking at the pictures the Soltice rear (insert J. Lo joke here), it looks as big as the other car of this class (to naked eye). I wonder if that figure is a guess by MT or something they got from engineers?

I did a little fishing around and found the following trunk sizes in other roadsters.

Z4 - 9.2 CF
TT - 6.4 CF
S2000 - 5.0 CF
Miata - 5.0 CF
MR2 - 1.9 CF

Attached is side view of Z4 vs. Solstice.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
Must be the way the top is designed, then. The Z4 has a slightly larger overhang, but the thing I noticed from comparing the two is the height of the hood on the Z4, which carries into a rather high decklid (they continued the feature line along the length of the car).

That must be the struts in the front suspension causing the hoodline to be so high.

The only thing that tall on the Solstice is the "humps", where the rest of the decklid height is lower. By maybe as much as 3"? If the rear trunk is maybe 17" long, 45" wide - that's an extra 1 1/2 cubic foot.

I've seen the Z4 top work, and there is a dedicated space for the top to fold into with an integrated "tonneau". Top up or top down does not affect the rear trunk space.

Also, if you look at the back of the Solstice, you'll see it curve upwards, while the Z4 is squared lower. I'm sure this is another way to move some things around and gain some more trunk space.

Maybe it's a combo of bad packaging design, a top design that may not be the most efficient, and a desire to keep exactly to a form that did not consider things like this? What do ya want for a rolling, you-can-buy-one-yourself-for-$20,000, concept car with no tonneau when the top is down? :smile
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Where did you find the truck size info? I would be interested in seeing stats for other cars like the 911 and Corvette.

I agree that the 4 cubic feet sounds small for the Solstice, and do think it would be nice to be able to pack a weekend bag or two to take in the car. This seems like the perfect car to go for a nice weekend cruise up the coast...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
well, that isn not as bad as i origionally feared, but i sure hope i can get something the size of a backpack or two in there for those weekend trips.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2006solstice said:
Where did you find the truck size info? I would be interested in seeing stats for other cars like the 911 and Corvette.
Motor Trend June 2004, Page 88 mentions it's "about four cubic feet". I still can't see it given the pics. Could be MT's guess who knows.

C6 Vette 13.9 CF
Porsche Boxster 9.1 CF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Four cubic feet ? Doubt it. If across the back that would be four feet long, one foot wide, and one foot high.

Your sport would need to be billiards, not golf.

BTW right now in the rear trunk of my Fiero, I have two toolboxes, two cases of oil, and a battery charger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
I wonder if it's ~4 cubic feet with the top down? I keep reading that top down will cut space in half, so if ~4 cf is with top down, then top up would be around 8 cf. Looking at the cargo room of the other cars listed, 8 cf seems reasonable. :confused
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
I have my doubts. The 4 cu ft is probably right (top up). The AutoWeek article also mentions complete lack of storage, and if it were more than a Miata there wouldn't be any mention of "lack of storage".

Face it, even if you can't fit golf clubs in it, or even if there is essentially no trunk space, the question you have to ask yourself is whether this is a deal-breaker or not.

For me, it's not. Should be a great, fun, 'round town runabout. for longer trips a simple pull-along trailer will work (like an Autocross). Besides, if you're doing with this car what is intended, you don't need luggage space when you're racing. :jester
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
skeptic said:
I wonder if it's ~4 cubic feet with the top down? I keep reading that top down will cut space in half, so if ~4 cf is with top down, then top up would be around 8 cf. Looking at the cargo room of the other cars listed, 8 cf seems reasonable. :confused
I'd like to think MT mis-stated it at 4 CF up and 2 with top down. Judging from size of trunk I'd think it would be 8 CF up and 4 down.

Not a deal breaker for me, just didn't seem to add up after comparing number to other roadsters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
4 cubic feet up, 2 cubic feet of storage with the top down could possibly be a deal breaker for me. It would all but rule out overnight stays or even packing up enough things for a trip to the beach or whatever. It might not be a practical car to begin with, but limiting it to 2 cubic feet of storage with the top down really limits what you can use it for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
It would be a deal breaker for me...that is too little space since the wife and I travel often for 3 day weekend get-aways and she packs way more than she needs (most of you married men will understand that)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
Well, it's more than the airlines give you... not counting your checked luggage.

Treat it like a Lamborghini - Ship your luggage to the hotel two days ahead, then you and your significant other hop in and drive there with the top down in style. :thumbs

Just make sure you get XM (if available) or your significant other will have to hold all the CD's!!! :lol

Still not a deal breaker for me, but to each her/his own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
gmcsierra2002 said:
who needs trunk space. This car is not made for tourists.
Tourists, no... but it should have enough room for two weekend bags... if it can't even fit enough for the female's bag for a weekend it doesn't have much use as a fun toy to take out on the weekends, does it? :)
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
The trunk space does look to be the big dissapointment in this vehicle. I cannot believe they didn't find a way to engineer in a little bit more room. For many this will be a deal breaker. Its not liklely going to be a daily driver for many people, but a car like this is often taken on weekend excursions, or even just a quick run to the store, a day at the golf course, etc. It really needs to have enough trunk space to fit in some luggage, golf clubs, shopping bags etc without infringing on passenger space.

My Fiero has a narrow but deep trunk. I can take it on a small vacation or to the store and have room for what I need. I don't golf, but two people on a golfing outing will be tough because of the trunk's size. I also have a spare tire which the Solstice apparently won't have (so I have seen here anyway).

GM is going to lose sales opportunities if the trunk isn't big enough, especially on higher priced models (such as a higher output engine version) as it creeps towards roomier competition.

Anyone have the storage volume of the S2000's trunk (or did I miss it here)? Supposedly GM is benchmarking that car for its development.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fformula88 said:
Anyone have the storage volume of the S2000's trunk (or did I miss it here)? Supposedly GM is benchmarking that car for its development.
Bottom of the thread chain. S2000 is 5.0 CF. Personally you can almost see it in S2000 because the the lower trunk line. In Solstice I see more space in a higher trunk line. I'm hoping it will be more than we think once the final specs come out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
mceb said:
Bottom of the thread chain. S2000 is 5.0 CF. Personally you can almost see it in S2000 because the the lower trunk line. In Solstice I see more space in a higher trunk line. I'm hoping it will be more than we think once the final specs come out.

we can only hope! either way, i'll be dreaming about this car until i can actually see one in person. i envy all who have had the chance to see the concept at the auto shows!

i'll just be glad when i can test drive one from the dealer with the top down, then my life will be that much closer to complete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Fformula88 said:
The trunk space does look to be the big dissapointment in this vehicle. I cannot believe they didn't find a way to engineer in a little bit more room. For many this will be a deal breaker. Its not liklely going to be a daily driver for many people, but a car like this is often taken on weekend excursions, or even just a quick run to the store, a day at the golf course, etc. It really needs to have enough trunk space to fit in some luggage, golf clubs, shopping bags etc without infringing on passenger space.

My Fiero has a narrow but deep trunk. I can take it on a small vacation or to the store and have room for what I need. I don't golf, but two people on a golfing outing will be tough because of the trunk's size. I also have a spare tire which the Solstice apparently won't have (so I have seen here anyway).

GM is going to lose sales opportunities if the trunk isn't big enough, especially on higher priced models (such as a higher output engine version) as it creeps towards roomier competition.

Anyone have the storage volume of the S2000's trunk (or did I miss it here)? Supposedly GM is benchmarking that car for its development.
Didn't the AutoWeek testers say to leave your golf bag at home? That doesn't necessarily mean the cu ft isn't there... but the linear space for a bag doesn't seem to be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
I don't think 4 cubic ft. would be a deal breaker for me, but it would make weekend trips more challenging. I agree, given the photos, it looks like there should be more room in there.

Does this have a full-sized spare? Perhaps that is taking up most of the space?
 
1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Top