Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I'm not expecting much room in the trunk of this car, (it's not my 1st sports car so I know what to expect), I'm still going to take it on vacations and I'm wondering about the space capacity of the trunk. It looks prety small in the photos. What can you fit in it.

PS - What's with the covered hump in the middle? Is that the spare? It takes up half the trunk.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
With top down 1 walking golf bag fits in space in back. Small soft-sided luggage (duffels) will fit. Companies are working on fitted soft luggage.

With top up there is more space (sides and top of hump).

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
stang said:
All your questions can be answered here.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21

and

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/search.php?

and since I'm nice :)

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7684

The "hump" is the fuel tank. There is no spare. You get a can of fix-a-flat and a jack.
Correction - NO jack. Just the inflator kit (which has the attachments to inflate footballs and beach balls, too, and a built-in tire pressure gage which you can use to maintain proper tire pressure without having to go to a gas station).

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
SolsticeMan said:
Correction - NO jack. Just the inflator kit (which has the attachments to inflate footballs and beach balls, too, and a built-in tire pressure gage which you can use to maintain proper tire pressure without having to go to a gas station).
No kidding? The compressor has those tips? Hey, if I punch a hole in my beach ball, do you think the fix-a-flat will hook me up? :glol: :glol:

·
Registered
138 Posts
andrew g said:
Although I'm not expecting much room in the trunk of this car, (it's not my 1st sports car so I know what to expect), I'm still going to take it on vacations and I'm wondering about the space capacity of the trunk. It looks prety small in the photos. What can you fit in it.

PS - What's with the covered hump in the middle? Is that the spare? It takes up half the trunk.
"Is that the spare?" There is no spare. Just so everyone is clear on this subject, if you actually damage the tire, you are S.O.L.! Only if you lose tire pressure is the little can any value. No Jack, either. Consider this when ordering.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Whaddaya know!

I'll be damned! There they are (see pic). I'm off to burst my beachball. I'll report back with the results :jester:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Haven't messed with the inflator, I assume it's only cig. lighter for power and not rechargable in some way?

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
SolsticeMan said:
No jack! :lol: I guess that's what I get for assuming.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is there even a lug wrench?

For those few who have actually received their Sol, does it even come with a lug wrench? Just curious. Since there is no spare and no jack, I was wondering how you replace a blown tire.

David in AZ

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
AZJuez said:
For those few who have actually received their Sol, does it even come with a lug wrench? Just curious. Since there is no spare and no jack, I was wondering how you replace a blown tire.

David in AZ
Nope, blowout = call tow truck I think.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
With no spare, there's no reason to provide a jack or lug wrench. Instead they put a little sticker in the bottom rear corner of the driver's window with the 1-800-ROADSIDE number on it :jester:

·
Registered
138 Posts
That's It?????

2KWK4U said:
With no spare, there's no reason to provide a jack or lug wrench. Instead they put a little sticker in the bottom rear corner of the driver's window with the 1-800-ROADSIDE number on it :jester:
You gotta be kidding. So, you are driving through Fredonia in the remote parts of Arizona, and you have a blowout in the middle of town and you pull of to the side of the road. You cannot just jack up the car, take off the tire, and roll it down the street to the first garage and have it fixed? You HAVE to call a tow truck to fix a flat? What the hell were they thinking? This is supposed to be a driver's car, not what mom takes the kids to school in!

And some in this forum still think that General Motors makes better cars than does Honda Motor Company or BMW or Porsche?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Miata does same now too (no spare). These cars have too little room to begin with. That's why they are niche cars

also note looks like BMW Z4 comes with no spare either, listed with runflat tires on BMW site.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
AZJuez said:
You gotta be kidding. So, you are driving through Fredonia in the remote parts of Arizona, and you have a blowout in the middle of town and you pull of to the side of the road. You cannot just jack up the car, take off the tire, and roll it down the street to the first garage and have it fixed? You HAVE to call a tow truck to fix a flat? What the hell were they thinking? This is supposed to be a driver's car, not what mom takes the kids to school in!

And some in this forum still think that General Motors makes better cars than does Honda Motor Company or BMW or Porsche?
I don't know about you, but i haven't had a blowout in over 25 years, most of mine have been slow leaks or a nail in the tire, gave me plentiy of time to get it fixed, some cars i have owned have never had the spare or even the jack removed.... it isn't really an issue much any more unless you run your tires down to the cords....

·
Registered
138 Posts
But, at least they addressed the problem . .

mceb said:
Miata does same now too (no spare). These cars have too little room to begin with. That's why they are niche cars

also note looks like BMW Z4 comes with no spare either, listed with runflat tires on BMW site.
The new "Run-Flat" tires still solves the problem, and the even newer "tires," that do not require inflation at all, will do away with spares all together, but for the rest of us, having a spare is called peace of mind.

What the GM engineers did was simply disregard the needs of the drivers of Solstices all together to keep the car below $20K. Dumb cut.

·
Registered
169 Posts
AZJuez said:
The new "Run-Flat" tires still solves the problem, and the even newer "tires," that do not require inflation at all, will do away with spares all together, but for the rest of us, having a spare is called peace of mind.

What the GM engineers did was simply disregard the needs of the drivers of Solstices all together to keep the car below $20K. Dumb cut.
Run flats also add considerable weight.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
sounds like some are still beating the same dead horse around here just trying to put down the Solstice so they can say their car is better.....The people buying the Solstice already know this and are willing to accept this little inconvenience...
end of story...

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
mceb said:
Miata does same now too (no spare).
But the NC does have a jack and a lug wrench.

The problem is that if you blow a tire away from home, would the local Goodyear or Pontiac dealer even have that tire/size in stock and what will it cost?

Somehow I don't think it will be at a discount price.... :(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts