Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking in detail at the cutaway pic and got to thinking: I should be able to take a good swag at the storage dimensions if I just used my head.

There's no clear side view of a cutaway, but you can get a good feel by looking at the side view from last year's NAIAS, and a few pics from the Washington pics, and that got me to thinking...

See if this makes sense to you guys:

Advertised top up storage is 4 cubic feet, top-down is 2 cubic feet. So we know the top occupies 2 cubic feet give or take. The question is what does that 2 cu.ft. look like?

Well, I would reason that it doesn't make much sense to make the trunk itself much wider than the top. And I'd put the storage - as much as I could - behind the top, and as regular as I could.

So, looking at this pic:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=179
this one:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=141
and this one:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=103&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=3014
and an old pic of the side view I had (don't know why it's no longer in the gallery).

You can see the fuel tank sits above the differential (at least that's what it looks like is missing in the chassis shots and seems to be present in the cutaway). So the folding mechanisms, side glass channels and seals, AFBTS's and such must fold up and tuck down on either side of the gas tank, (with the tires on the outside of these bits) with the center of the top folded and on top of the tank. This leaves behind the roof for any additional storage.

I reasoned the width of the trunk is about (and this is just a guess, folks) 2/3 the overall width of the car looking at the pictures, where the top buttons are, where the trunk openings are, and the width of the header (had to try to take into account photographic parallax, but this is just fun and games, right?). We know the width is about 71.6 in, so that gives me a rough estimate of a long, sideways box of about 4 feet on the width of the car.

As a sense check, I checked and the rear track is 61.2 in, the tires a 245mm wide so from inside of tire to inside of tire is about 51 inches. If there is minimal of 1 1/2 inches from the inside of the tire to the inner surface of so the volume available between the the tires is close to 4 feet.

So if the storage space is a semi-regular box, 48" long (or "wide" in the car), 8 1/2" X 8 1/2" X 48" is right about 2 cubic feet.

It's hard to scale a picture, but a 8.5" Hi, 8.5" Long 48" wide box seems to look like it fits - just about on top of the muffler, If I'm looking at my own NAIAS pics correctly.

Anyone else care to take another look?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
The cutaway shot shows the folded top tilted upward which appears to be a triangle shape with larger side of triangle toward the back of car. Not sure how to guage the volume of a triangle :eek

I like your 48" wide figure. The triangle looks to be at least 12" high at back of car sloping down for about 1-2 feet? on a 45 degree angle to zero near the seat side of trunk. Any geometry people out there?

·
Registered
81 Posts
mceb said:
I like your 48" wide figure. The triangle looks to be at least 12" high at back of car sloping down for about 1-2 feet? on a 45 degree angle to zero near the seat side of trunk. Any geometry people out there?
A triangle-shaped space with a 12" rear height, 45 degree slope down to 0" front height, and 48" width would have a volume of exactly 2 cubic feet.

The volume formula is 1/2 * base * height * width, or 1/2 * 1 * 1 * 4 = 2 ft^3. It's easier in this case because a 45-45-90 triangle situated as described has a base equal to its height.

-Stephen M

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Sounds like good reasoning to me. Essentially the available top down space will be a long. skinny box or triangle.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
solsticeman said:
It's hard to scale a picture, but a 8.5" Hi, 8.5" Long 48" wide box seems to look like it fits - just about on top of the muffler, If I'm looking at my own NAIAS pics correctly
Here's an aftermarket mod for you. Why not ditch the muffler, go to dual side pipes, cut a new floor pan and get more trunk space where the old muffler used to be? :jester Just trying to help.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
AeroDave said:
Here's an aftermarket mod for you. Why not ditch the muffler, go to dual side pipes, cut a new floor pan and get more trunk space where the old muffler used to be? :jester Just trying to help.
hehehehe

Replace the fuel tank with a much smaller fuel cell, and you might be able to salvage another square foot from that too. :D

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
So the 2/4 thing speculated a while back could be true.

How big a blunder is this for GM if true? Miata has around 5 CF volume I think...what's it's volume with top down?

Unfortunately this will be big thing people key on. I've seen a lot of comments on other forums beating this point home.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AeroDave said:

I think it's a good idea, and something I might do for mine. Seriously - it's not a difficult thing to get a smaller yet louder muffler, and do just what you're suggesting...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
mceb said:
So the 2/4 thing speculated a while back could be true.

How big a blunder is this for GM if true? Miata has around 5 CF volume I think...what's it's volume with top down?

Unfortunately this will be big thing people key on. I've seen a lot of comments on other forums beating this point home.
The Miata is the same trunk space top up or down. However the space behind the seat where the top goes can be used for storage when the top is up and I would guess from memory that it's about maybe 1.5 to 2 cf. The thing about the Miata trunk is that even though it's 5 cf, it's shape isn't very practical because it's very shallow. It's something like 6" deep x 48" wide x 30" long. Good for hauling Pizzas and garment bags. That's about it. Even thought the Solstice is rumored to have less space, if it's shaped right, it may actually be better than the Miata trunk. Oh yeah.... with the top up. Oh well. :rolleyes

Now more about moving the muffler.... Hmmmmmm....

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
AeroDave said:
The Miata is the same trunk space top up or down. However the space behind the seat where the top goes
Thanks. Not using trunk for top storage is good for trunk space but creates that gap you see behind the seats with that type of system (think there is something that covers it on Miata). I guess the Solstice went for the "cleaner look" by having top fold into trunk when down.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I just saw the official specs for the G6 Hardtop covnertables trunk, and maybe its time for us to stop complaining about the Solstice! That car has a 5.8 cubic foot trunk which shrinks to 1.8 cubes when the top is down! That’s not very much for a 2+2 convertible these days! It makes the Solstice trunk sound reasonable for a car that is a lot smaller!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
So, to sum up, my SWAG is top down, a 8.5"X48"X8.5" LWH 2 cu ft "box".
Problem with that is that pretty well discribes the dimensions of a golf bag and more than one wag has said "so leave your golf bag at home." So I'm going with the "Big Flat" guess with the storage area under the folded roof at 38"X23"X4" LWH and twice that height (8") with the roof up. But then I haven't been even close at picking lottery numbers either. But remember too, the estimates of 4' and 2' were SWAG numbers from the magazine writers as well. It could be a foot or so more!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know I'm a geek, but I sheepishly admit I've done something strange to arrive at these numbers:

I build an AutoCAD model of the rear of the car. Actually, most of the car, but I was getting really curious about how they fit everything in, so most of the detail is in the rear, since it's easier to see the parts there (as opposed to the engine end). Used lots of pics of the chassis, exterior shots, check dimensions - I'm pretty sure I'm not too far off, so I was excited to see the cutaway drawing and how close things started stacking.

There's also the suspension pics - which allow scaling of the suspension bits to build up a reasonable model.

The only bits that are really difficult to decide upon is the top - modelling "folded" parts is not possible with my current expertise, so I was guessing on how parts are put together.

AutoCAD is not a kinematics model, so the top is almost total guess - but a semi educated one.

The model only took about 10 hours a week for about 6 weeks, on and off, to put together - less than most people spend watching TV :D

Detailed pics of the '06 Miata are nonexistent. So building a model of the new Miata is not possible, since we don't even know what it looks like. Really, the amount of information given out about the Solstice so far ahead of introduction and dealer availability is almost unprecedented.

How much info did we have on the HHR? The SSR? The C6? The CTS? Or even the Cobalt? Before they were available in dealerships? Anyone have a cutaway drawing of the C6 yet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trunk Space Snafu

Hi all. New here. Previously I've owned a 1999 Miata and presently I own a 2002 S2000. I've also driven the now-discontiunued MR-2 Spyder.

The Solstice looks to be a gorgeous car and a great value, but if GM honestly has this thing slated to have 2 cu ft of storage with the top down, it is going to flop. Big time.

You need at least 4-5 cu ft of storage to do a weekend getaway with the better half. At 170hp, this is not going to be a poor man's Elise/track-only car. It is an entry level roadster contender, and as such it needs to do more than go fast and handle well. It needs to get you to and from and through the go fast/handle well episodes in style with some shred of utility.

Don't get me wrong. If Pontiac is happy selling fewer than 5,000 units annually a year or two out after the initial "it" factor wears off, the 2/4 storage issue won't be a show stopper. If, however, they want to make this an enduring volume play (20k-40k units annually for several years) the 2/4 storage issue will be prohibitive. Making cars is still about making money. Making money is about appealing to the largest number of potential customers at a given price point.

The lack of storage (and admited UGLY stick styling) killed the MR-2. Someone else mentioned the Prowler as validating the market for zero storage "play cars." How much money do you think GM made on the Prowler? It is apples and oranges. Th Prowler is a marketing and brand image exercise. The Solstice is supposed to be a money maker.

I am very serious about getting one of these cars to replace my S2000 as the weekend play car. If it has only 2 cu ft of space with the top down, however, it will be a deal killer for me. Having owned at least one sports car in addition to a daily driver for the last 15 years, raced each and every one of them at least twice a year, and most recently having owned specific car models clearly in the sights of the Solstice, I honestly believe that there is a certain minimum amount of trunkspace a manufacturer MUST offer in a sub-$50k sports car to make the car commercially viable. That is 4-5 cu feet minimum.

Please General, give us a useable trunk!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Innocence said:
Someone else mentioned the Prowler as validating the market for zero storage "play cars." How much money do you think GM made on the Prowler? It is apples and oranges. Th Prowler is a marketing and brand image exercise
GM better not have made any money on the Prowler. It was a Plymouth!

I agree the Prowler is not a good example for the Solstice.

I had an '02 Miata. I could not fit even a smallish suit case in the trunk of that car

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Innocence said:
You need at least 4-5 cu ft of storage to do a weekend getaway with the better half. At 170hp, this is not going to be a poor man's Elise/track-only car. It is an entry level roadster contender, and as such it needs to do more than go fast and handle well. It needs to get you to and from and through the go fast/handle well episodes in style with some shred of utility.
I totaly agree. Official trunk specs are not know yet, but given the cut-away drawing and Solicemans and other's calculation, and the reports from early test drives, it would seem that Pontiac has blown it on the trunk. I will probably buy the car anyways, but you're right. For a broader appeal, it needs a useable trunk. If the 2/4 cf is correct, I think they could have done better. They just need to do some creative packaging. Maybe they have. (smiley crossing fingers or praying)

·
Registered
46 Posts
GreatWhiteNorth said:
My Del Sol had a ton of room in the trunk and the dimensions of the car
were smaller than the Solstice and I think a Miata.
Isn't the Del Sol front wheel drive? FWD formats typically have more space in the trunk than rwds.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Welcome to the forum Innocence!

We have certainly debated the limited trunk space in the past, and it is a big issue that certainly warrents more discussion. You are absolutely right. If there is essentially no storage space with the top down, it will be a deal killer for many potential buyers. It will also make it extremely difficult for GM to meet sales targets of the Solstice and added Sky sales year after year. Lets face it, they are ambitious goals considering this market segment based on recent sales figures anyway.

I am hoping the space that is left is in a very useable shape, offsetting the low figure. 5 Cubes can be extremely unusable too, depending on where it is and how it is shaped.

We all hope there will be as much useable storage as possibly. Low storage won't stop many of us from buying, but we are probably some of the bigger enthusiasts that will buy it, and a lot of buyers are not likely to put up with some of the compromises we are willing to!

I hope its got enough space in there too!

·
4,592 Posts
AeroDave said:
The thing about the Miata trunk is that even though it's 5 cf, it's shape isn't very practical because it's very shallow. It's something like 6" deep x 48" wide x 30" long.
I disagree about 6" deep, look at the bottom pic on this link:
http://www.icess.ucsb.edu/~greg/msm/

those water bottles are 10" tall, which is pretty good!

Someone here said they couldn't even fit a small suitcase in a miata, how big are your suitcases? Maybe you need a Lincoln Towncar :lol

1 - 20 of 51 Posts