Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I think we need to keep pursuing all avenues that show promise. If we can print a good copy for $50 that is ready to paint and mount that sounds good enough for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Let me know if I'm wrong, but the Tulip Flaps are the same for both the Sky and Solstice, correct?

·
Super Moderator
17,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
yes they are identical. I talked with my printer and he said he would repair the file for less than $50. Im taking him the flap and the file Friday.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,569 Posts
They should be the same. The rest of the tulip panels are different, however.
15825824 is part number for the right side.
15825825 is part number for the left side.

Just a FWIW in case I need to find them again. :)

👍

·
Super Moderator
17,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Took the existing files, a factory flap and a printed flap to my guy. He said easy fix. He will have it done soon and do some test prints on different printers

·
Registered
Previously owned a 2007 Solstice. Base model, manual trans, limited slip, black on black.
69 Posts
Good thread! I've seen many a Solstice with mutilated 'tulip panels'. Nice to see others helping out.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Rob - the tool shop owner I dropped the file off with said he found software to "smooth" surfaces. I told him to hold off until we get the results from your guy. I might just pull the trigger on the software anyway but can wait until you get back to us.

·
Super Moderator
17,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I dont think it needs smoothing. It needs to be corrected in the one area where it did not scan correctly I left the factory flap and the file with my guy and he will make it match the factory one. Soon I hope He said less than an hour of work once he starts.

·
Administrator
8,668 Posts
@chickenwire : Of these options, which would you think to be the best (or least bad) substitute material:
  • ABS
  • Polystyrene
  • High Impact Polystyrene
  • Polypropylene
  • Talc Filled Polypropylene
  • High Density Polyethylene

·
Registered
Previously owned a 2007 Solstice. Base model, manual trans, limited slip, black on black.
69 Posts
High Density Polyethylene is the best of the bunch!

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
@chickenwire : Of these options, which would you think to be the best (or least bad) substitute material:
  • ABS
  • Polystyrene
  • High Impact Polystyrene
  • Polypropylene
  • Talc Filled Polypropylene
  • High Density Polyethylene
We have to consider all of the requirements of the panel. HDPE would be great from a toughness aspect - you could beat it with a hammer and it wouldn't break. You just can't paint it. Same with the PP - tough but not strong and lacking stiffness. Adding the talc to the PP stiffens it - but you can't paint PP well either.

I'd go with ABS. It is stronger and stiffer than styrene, but has better toughness due to the butadiene (rubber) in it's composition. It is also highly paintable.

·
Administrator
8,668 Posts
We have to consider all of the requirements of the panel. HDPE would be great from a toughness aspect - you could beat it with a hammer and it wouldn't break. You just can't paint it. Same with the PP - tough but not strong and lacking stiffness. Adding the talc to the PP stiffens it - but you can't paint PP well either.

I'd go with ABS. It is stronger and stiffer than styrene, but has better toughness due to the butadiene (rubber) in it's composition. It is also highly paintable.
Thanks CW. I had pretty much gotten there, but wanted an expert opinion.

Reactions: agent008

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts

I have used ABS many times for vacuum forming and the tulip flap could be made quickly using that technique except for the tabs on the backside. Although these would have to be made separately, ABS is easily glued or welded.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts