My printer is modifying the part to make it stronger as the direct copies failed early Once I get one I will make it available for testing
Yes - it feels like a stiff urethane which would have pretty good abrasion resistance. A teflon tape would give good lubricity but I don't think it would wear well.There is a different material co-molded on the edge of the flap. I wondered what its purpse is, and your description explains it.
Give this a thought. It might help the partial opening problem. If you redesign the metal part as shown, it would decrease the distance between (c) and (d). Doing so would increase the amount of flap opening without increasing the distance amount of cable pull. Maybe even enough to open the flap completely. (haven't done the math) In looking at the flap on the car, it doesn't appear that shortening this piece somewhat would interfere with the cable attachment.I spent some quality time with the flaps on both cars this weekend. On Punisher one of the springs that helps articulation was off at one end. Twenty minutes later it was back in place. Then I cycled the top several times and noiced that the cable only partially opens the flap. On both our cars the flaps open about 25 degrees then the top structure comes into contact with the inside edge of the flap and pushes it vertical. I had assumed the cable performed this action but clearly this is not the case. I’m not liking watching the metal frame sliding along the flap pushing on it. I feel the need for a better solution
Yep. I always like to give the original designer the benefit of the doubt, and make sure that I understand what they were doing/not doing before I make changes.^ this. Methinks there is a reason the original designers did this . . .
Yes. If you bend the bracket down you can take the excessive slack out and the flap will open a little farther. Mine are bent just far enough to take the slack out but not so far that the cable is taut. You can tell if the bracket is bent too far down because the flap won't close all the way.Good to see progress on this part.
This "Teflon", or "Urethane" you speak of, on my car was damaged/torn/cut slightly. I removed it, and replaced it with Female Velcro, and this now seems to be Cushioning the Flap better than the other Original Material that was installed on there from the factory.
My Tulip Flaps also react in the same Lackadaisical fashion when raising the top, and I am concerned that the Tops Frame will push the bottom of the Flap a bit too hard as well. I asked others on here about the cable seeming to be too lose, and was told to "Bend The Bracket that the cable was attached to", but haven't attempted this yet.
If this request can be fulfilled, you would renew faith of the GM brand for a whole lot of folks.