Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, im relatively new to the whole tuning situation, and somewhat new to the solstice. So the only information i have so far is coming from a friend with a cobalt SS(LNF), and i talked to him about getting the GMPP tune for my solstice and he said that when done to cobalts the 4th piston tends to melt. Now if this is true, could it be only because of manifold design? or are the exhaust manifolds exactly the same?
i suppose my ultimate question is, how safe is the GMPP tune (or any tune) for my GXP if i drive it daily?
thanks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
the easy answer is that a tune is less safe than stock. how much less is the question. Ihave tuned both my sols with no issues, and both tuned for E47.

I would not waste my time nor money with GMPP and just go to vince at WOT or Trifecta.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I have never heard of this....and I know several guys that run the GMPP tune in their Cobalt. As a matter of fact, I missed buying one (for a winter ride) last year by 1 hour with a GMPP tune. While the motors are the same, they don't seem to have the same issues. Ours has a waterpump issue, the Cobalt does not. Ours has a cam sensor issue, from what I've read on their forums, the Cobalt does not... What I'm getting at is different issues for different powertrains even though they are the same.

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
I've seen the cam actuator issues on Cobalts too, but never seen a 4th piston issue on our cars.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
There you have it Gus. get you a budget tune from Trifecta and be on your way.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Gus...I like your name!

I just installed the Trifecta tune and it is the way to go. Best $200 you can spend! I've only had mine installed since last night but it sure looks promising. It's amazing how fast the boost builds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts