Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off I'm not new too tuning just tuning Sols or any GM for that matter. I've been reading some old posts trying to figure out a plan before I head off to the dyno.

Ive been reading old threads about the way the ECM maintains control and monitors boost. I read about the rod mod for the waste gate actuator and the way the electronic bypass/ bleed valve defeats it once the computer learns and of course the way it can trigger limp mode from too much boost? Anyhow, then I read that someone had figured out how to fool the IAT2 sensor so the computer wouldn't read the overboost condition and go into limp mode. I also see that Wester has figured out that if you restrict the air flow to the electronic babysitter you can have the benefits of the rod mod all the time.

Now I could be off on some of the stuff I've read but, my question is, do I still need to do any of this along with my tune to reach the max HP potential of the stock turbo? Which, I believe is around 300 RWHP or abit more with meth injection. I mean most of the info I read were posts from 2006 and 07. Since, I plan on using my tuners lastest copy of HP Tuners can't everything, including permanently increasing the boost be done with the software these days? Is there still some benefit to the rod mod and turbo restrictor? and if so, has anyone experienced any damage from it?

I'm just trying to figure out the best and safest way to achieve my goal. Its my daily driver during the good weather months, which in Kentucky are more than half the year. I don't drive the car hard all the time as it looks cool and gets plenty of attention without having to demonstrate its power. Just want to have reliable and repeatable power for that occasional stop light challenge ;)

Thanx, Dave

·
Registered
258 Posts
LOL, max of 300 on stock turbo? Look at my sig and I know your just learning. I personally would not mess with the waste gate mod. Just leave it as is if your going to be tuning it using HP Tuners(Correct, thought that is what I read). By chance have you done any aftermarket work to the engine or are you completely stock and would like a bump in power? As long as you get a solid tune from a reputable tuner, you will meet your goal and then some. My tuner would be able to meet your goal easily with a 1x fee and free updates after that if you decide to get aftermarket parts for the Sol. Are you restricted to just pump gas or can you do ethanol? On E you will definately make over 300whp. Anyways, just answer some of my questions and we can go from there. Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
LOL, max of 300 on stock turbo? Look at my sig and I know your just learning. I personally would not mess with the waste gate mod. Just leave it as is if your going to be tuning it using HP Tuners(Correct, thought that is what I read). By chance have you done any aftermarket work to the engine or are you completely stock and would like a bump in power? As long as you get a solid tune from a reputable tuner, you will meet your goal and then some. My tuner would be able to meet your goal easily with a 1x fee and free updates after that if you decide to get aftermarket parts for the Sol. Are you restricted to just pump gas or can you do ethanol? On E you will definately make over 300whp. Anyways, just answer some of my questions and we can go from there. Thanks
Now thats the type of feedback I was lookin for....lol Knew I joined the right forum. Well except for tinted windows, blacked out wheels, and HID headlights she's bone stock for now. Future mods will be the Snow performance stage 2 methanol injection kit sitting in my closet, ( to be installed before the dyno tune), and later on a full turbo back exhaust w/ hi-flo cat or cat delete, Hi-flow air filter or complete cold air intake. I was considering a bigger intercooler but with the meth kit I think I'll be ok and yes we will be using HP Tuners to dyno tune her.

I do have access to E85 in my town but hesitate to tune for it as its not available everywhere I go. I'm not looking to squeak every ounce of power I can out of her cuz I'd like to have plenty of days of trouble free motoring. My days of driving cars I have to worry about breaking parts on all the time is long past. I've built too many crazy cars that became money pits and spent as much time under the wrench as they did on the street. I'd be happy if I get to 325hp @the wheels cuz I aint looking to spend a bunch of money replacing drivetrain parts. It is nice to know she could really scream if I needed her to though...lol. If you can think of anything else I might need or should consider upgrading to get to my goal feel free to share..Thanx

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I would just have blend tune for E85 - ( E47 ) with half pump premium and half E85 and one for pump premium and go back and forth if you are somewhere where E85 is not available. With a good tune, you can achieve the power you are looking for without the other stuff. If you like more sound get intakes and exhaust based on your sound preference.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I would just have blend tune for E85 - ( E47 ) with half pump premium and half E85 and one for pump premium and go back and forth if you are somewhere where E85 is not available. With a good tune, you can achieve the power you are looking for without the other stuff. If you like more sound get intakes and exhaust based on your sound preference.
Really? Just a tune will get me to 325RWHP? Well I guess I've kinda underestimated the potential of this engine but, I guess being a boosted engine I shouldn't be surprised. Anyhow, I imagine if I don't constantly beat on it and drive it like an adult the drivetrain might last awhile if I decide to surpass my initial goal a little...lol. I've had this snow meth inj. kit for 3 years now. Bought it originally for my blown Mustang but, never used it. I suppose if I needed to bump my goals a bit to use it then so be it...lol. I guess I'll just install the meth kit, take to the dyno, and see where it takes me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would like to add that with a meth kit, tuning is important so make sure that you find yourself a reputable tuner with HP Tuners. Yes, you will see that it will surpass your goal. There is Westers, Dave from Werks, Gmtech, Term2, DDMworks that will yield you results.

·
Super Moderator
16,396 Posts
On Dave's dyno my basically stock car measured 305 WHP.

I had charge tubes, intercooler and high flow cat.

GMPP tune + high flow cat will get you to or very close to your objective.

With an after market tune you can go much farther:agree:

·
Registered
258 Posts
See there you go, Rob couldn't have put it better. Give DDMworks a call and see what they can do for you. Good luck and hope to hear some good news about your Kappa. Enjoy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts