Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing a tuning chip from chipyourcar.com. Does anyone have anything pro or con on these tuners?

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
DON"T ! These are nothing more than a scam the only way to tune the car is to go to a reputable tuner such as DDM Works or Performance AutoWerks to name a few and have them work their magic .

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
As I've told others that have inquired, you send me double what that chip seller is asking and I will provide you a "chip" that gives you exactly double what they profess to provide.

As others have said, if you have a GXP you can get a custom tune to give you a performance boost. If you have a base 2.4 liter you're not going to get much from a "tune".

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
I know a few of our club members had DDM do a tune to their NAs. Don’t know if they are happy with tune or what they think it did for performance. Can anyone answer these questions? I’m just curious in case anyone else asks me these NA tune/ chip question. John is one of our club members and I’m glad he asked with this post.

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
Interesting how they write it is a scam but , write there is no power gain but then give it a 2 star rating and confirm there is HP gain, Tq galn and better mileage by awarding stars to those gains. Kind of confusing ?!?!?
I agree that their ratings don't make any sense.

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
I know a few of our club members had DDM do a tune to their NAs. Don’t know if they are happy with tune or what they think it did for performance. Can anyone answer these questions? I’m just curious in case anyone else asks me these NA tune/ chip question. John is one of our club members and I’m glad he asked with this post.
A tune, whether Trifecta, DDM, Werks, etc is totally different from the chip referenced in this thread.

Chips in general are useless on modern ECMs. At best they do nothing, and at worst they fool the ECM into thinking that the engine is operating differently than it is to make it run richer or leaner, either of which can cause permanent damage.

An actual tune will have some effect on an NA, but not nearly what one will do for an LNF. The general report is better response and a little bit more power, particularly at the bottom end. It may also help the small advantages from an exhaust replacement or high-flow cat.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I did the rpm-motorworks tune on my 2.4 which I did bigger #36 Injectors, CAI, and a cat delete. Unless you get bigger injectors a tune on the 2.4 isn’t much. You run the risk of running it lean or pushing the stock injectors to hard which isn’t good. Take to local dyno though for the best tune.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Unless you are unlocking something that's pre-programmed into the ECM/BCM, tuner chips don't work. And our cars don't have anything pre-programmed. It's not like new cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A tune, whether Trifecta, DDM, Werks, etc is totally different from the chip referenced in this thread.

Chips in general are useless on modern ECMs. At best they do nothing, and at worst they fool the ECM into thinking that the engine is operating differently than it is to make it run richer or leaner, either of which can cause permanent damage.

An actual tune will have some effect on an NA, but not nearly what one will do for an LNF. The general report is better response and a little bit more power, particularly at the bottom end. It may also help the small advantages from an exhaust replacement or high-flow cat.
Thanks for the info. It looks like I've save dollars in my first venture into the Forum.

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
Thanks for the info. It looks like I've save dollars in my first venture into the Forum.
You did unless you follow @chickenwire 's suggestion about sending the money to him.

So be sure to only follow the good advice that you get here and ignore the bad stuff. Your challenge will be figuring out which is which.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
In OBD1 ECMs, the program was contained on a removable chip, which was kind of handy for doing tuning remotely - they would just mail you a revised chip (I use that word in reference to the main computer chip, not some add on addition). In one of the cars I was building, I retrofitted an earlier ECM than the 1994 GM V6 I was using would have had (it was a so called OBD 1.5) just so I didn't have to mail off the whole ECM for tuning.

The chips that they try and sell you today are AFAIK all snake oil. Have a look at videos like this one.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
I had a tune done on my car (2.4) after some mods exhaust ,high flo cat ,header ,GM CAI,performance MAF and it made a difference in total i gained about 30 HP . From all I've read there are restrictions , I hope I'm using the proper terms , and the tune unlocks these livens things up , not much in real world HP gains .. I had a local guy who was familiar Kappas at the time do mine .

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
A tune on a 2.4 NA can do a couple of things, namely, make the throttle respond quicker and impose Power Enrichment at lower RPM and with less delay. Both improve driveability and perceived performance. Peak HP is still about the same. A CAI and a less restrictive exhaust will permit more power, mostly at the upper end, but you need a tune to optimize this gain. With an automatic you can tune the transmission to shift closer to the power peak and with less delay, improving your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times a bit.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
I have spoken with a few people that have purchased a tune for the 2.4. Most state that the "nanny" being removed from the throttle makes it a bit snappier - quicker to respond. As Steve said above, hardware changes prior to the tune can give you a bit more horsepower but nothing compared to blowing some air into it.

I know my wife has been squirreling away money. Any day now I expect her to ask me to buy the supercharger kit....

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I know my wife has been squirreling away money. Any day now I expect her to ask me to buy the supercharger kit....
I love my DDM superchargers on both of my 2.4s. They jump GXPs at the light and hold on for a tie at the 1/4.

·
Registered
847 Posts
likely stock 260/260 GXP? I doubt you'd keep a tie with a GMPP tune with 290/325, which is still rather mild as nothing else has been done, stock air filter/intake, no exhaust and has passed Colorado emissions for years now. Still get's pretty stock fuel mileage.

In any case, totally agree there is too much garbage out there, get a tune (chip I guess for something older) from a reputable supplier that knows the vehicle. I have a 2015 Mercedes GLA 45AMG (2.0 turbo) as well with 375hp with air filter and want a tune and decided I will pay the extra from a very reputable firm that has done tuning on AMG's since the late 80's. Look at guarantee, warantee, this company actually sells through Mercedes dealers for performance. They are not cheap, but if the tune isn't proper this could be a disaster. I'm only looking for mild gains though with this, being at the high end of 2.0 stock HP. I just want to be around 410HP and 400lb. and I'd be all smiles if it's totally driveable and has longevity.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts