Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Unfortunately since we don't even know if GM is making a Turbocharged system we have absolutely zero information on this system besides that we've seen some sort of prototype car.

Now if you wanted to make an educated guess I'd look at the other Turbocharged ECOTECs GM has already. Find out what the Opel Speedster/Vaxhall VX220, SAABs, the various other OPEL OPC cars, etc. Being a big business, and this being the first USA Turbocharged ECOTEC I'm betting they've at least looked to the other lines doing this already for a baseline/starting point.

·
Registered
278 Posts
TOY4TWO said:
Who is GM choosing for the turbo, Garrett?

Think we will see a ball bearing unit? Oil cooled? Water cooled?
a water cooled turbo? they have those?

·
Registered
576 Posts
brentil said:
Unfortunately since we don't even know if GM is making a Turbocharged system we have absolutely zero information on this system besides that we've seen some sort of prototype car.

Now if you wanted to make an educated guess I'd look at the other Turbocharged ECOTECs GM has already. Find out what the Opel Speedster/Vaxhall VX220, SAABs, the various other OPEL OPC cars, etc. Being a big business, and this being the first USA Turbocharged ECOTEC I'm betting they've at least looked to the other lines doing this already for a baseline/starting point.
Here is the crate motor you can buy from GM Performace Parts

12499466 Ecotec 2.0L Supercharged Production Engine
This supercharged 4 cylinder Crate Engine (RPO LSJ) features the following:
DOHC with Sequential Fuel Injection
Bore is 86.00 mm and Stroke 86.00 mm with 9.5:1 compression ratio
205 Horsepower @ 5600 RPM and 200 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM torque
This engine powers the Saturn ION Redline
This production engine includes: exhaust manifold, intake manifold, injectors, fuel rail, balancer, water pump and flywheel

Technical Notes: Pulley, belt, p/s pump, a/c pump, starter, alternator, and engine cover are not included with this engine. I would guess this would be the easiest option.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
SolLate, I'm kinda confused. What are you trying to point out with the LSJ 2.0L Supercharged ECOTEC specs, since we were discussing the Turbocharged version?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
saab

SOURCE: http://www.autoforumz.com/Saab-Turbos-ftopict123281.html

Seems like it will most likely be a Mitsubishi part since the 2004 9-3 uses one:

"Luckily the 2004 9-3 Aero has a Mitsu: TD04HL-15T "

The TD series from Mitsu is a popular after market add on in the import crowd. And since its a Mitsu it will be easy to bolt on larger turbos without custom manifolds, you will be able to put a TD06 (300hp+) very easily and cheaply.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'll be interested in seeing how much the Turbo from Mitsu will cost in comparison to the other after-market ones.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Adrenaline said:
I'll be interested in seeing how much the Turbo from Mitsu will cost in comparison to the other after-market ones.
The evo3 tdo5h 16g turbo costs around $550 from performance shops, a tdo6 20g is maybe 200 bucks more. You're looking at anywhere from 300-350whp from a 16g turbo, and thats on a 2.0 liter engine.
Aftermarket garrett t3/t4 tubos are around $750, and they vary from size yet the price stays the same :)
Ball bearing turbo's are almost twice as much, but they're not worth it imo.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Wow those are a lot cheaper then the J Body Performance kit prices which were around $3500.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fortimir said:
So what kind of price are we Solstice owners looking at for a decent turbo upgrade?
Since our cars have such a high compression ratio pretty much any kit for our vehicle (except maybe an STS kit due to the way they're made) is going to require an intercooler and tuning. I wouldn't be suprised to see kits go for $2k-$5k depending on the power level, and how advanced the kit is. Then you gotta pay for instilation on top of that too.

Watching Rides last night STS did a system for the HHR vehicle one of the companies built. Doing a little digging I found that the HHR was a 2.4L ECOTEC VVT engine. We had a member who worked for STS, bradyb, and he said they were planning a system for the Solstice. According to rides they got an extra 100+ HP out of the HHR using this system. He hasn't been on in a while but I might fire off a message to him and see if he has any updates for us. Their systems range from $3k-$6k.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Adrenaline said:
Wow those are a lot cheaper then the J Body Performance kit prices which were around $3500.
If you're refering to the prices shabby mentioned those are for just the Turbocharger itself. That does not include any of the other hardware, intercoolers, engine management, tuning, etc that a full kit includes.

·
Registered
905 Posts
brentil said:
If you're refering to the prices shabby mentioned those are for just the Turbocharger itself. That does not include any of the other hardware, intercoolers, engine management, tuning, etc that a full kit includes.
You're right, my bad t had been a while since that post. Hopefully my tax return will be as big as I think it will be and I can get my Turbo in February.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DSM cars have 2.0 liter engines and are 200-210 hp on the stock turbo. Eclipse / Laser / Talon
the turbo upgrades are cheap because you really can just bolt on only the turbo charger part on those cars and make huge power gains, I have friends that drop $1000 and get everything they need. Those $3000 kits include piping, intercooler, waste gate, and manifold, and oil lines. Most of that stuff won't be needed if they do indeed go with a mitsubishi turbo stocker.

I don't know how big the intercooler is, so you might want to upgrade that.

I would also like to find out what size fuel injectors they are using stock. There is a good calculator on Greddy's website that tells you the max turbo boost you can run before you max out your injectors... the injectors may be the single limiting factor in running more boost.

A popular trick with the MR2 turbo (2.0 turbo) was to drop in Supra 550cc injectors and then get a fuel computer to tune it to run with the stock ECU. Toyota also hid some 16psi boost maps in the ECU you could unlock with a chip.... maybe GM will leave some hidden boost maps in the sol ECU we could unlock and give a decent hp boost....

...man I can't wait for the turbo sol, I love boost!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd run a GT2871 or GT28 on a 2.0L. Ball bearing option turbos are worth it because you get better reliability and boost will spool faster due to the less friction on the bearings.

Do you guys think theres enough room for a FMIC or do you think a side ot top mount would be better?

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Lazarus said:
I'd run a GT2871 or GT28 on a 2.0L. Ball bearing option turbos are worth it because you get better reliability and boost will spool faster due to the less friction on the bearings.

Do you guys think theres enough room for a FMIC or do you think a side ot top mount would be better?
Imo a ball bearing turbo isnt worth it, if it fails a rebuild is rather pricey compared to a regular bearing turbo. Also bb turbo's are usually 2x the cost of a regular turbo.
While they do spool a bit earlier, that bit is only a couple hundred rpm at best. If the engine used in the gxp will be a 2.4L then turbo lag will not be an issue. Look at the srt4, from 2000rpm it pretty much has peak torque.

Theres no openings for a top or side mount ic on a solstice(the area around the fogs isnt big enough for a smic), the latest solstice turbo pics show a lower lip opening at the bottom most likely for the fmic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
shabby said:
Imo a ball bearing turbo isnt worth it, if it fails a rebuild is rather pricey compared to a regular bearing turbo. Also bb turbo's are usually 2x the cost of a regular turbo.
While they do spool a bit earlier, that bit is only a couple hundred rpm at best. If the engine used in the gxp will be a 2.4L then turbo lag will not be an issue. Look at the srt4, from 2000rpm it pretty much has peak torque.

Theres no openings for a top or side mount ic on a solstice(the area around the fogs isnt big enough for a smic), the latest solstice turbo pics show a lower lip opening at the bottom most likely for the fmic.
BB has no effect on when the turbo starts to spool. That is effected by the A/R of the exhaust housing. Personally I'm one to spend money on better products, like synthetic oil.

Also are we hypothesizing on the gxp or talking about turboing the Solstice thats out now?

·
Registered
275 Posts
" the injectors may be the single limiting factor in running more boost."
No, you will also run into compression/detonation problems I suspect.
Remember, when you increase boost, you are increasing compression. You also may be limited by the exhaust system's capacity, which will rob HP.

·
Registered
11 Posts
kingarthur said:
" the injectors may be the single limiting factor in running more boost."
No, you will also run into compression/detonation problems I suspect.
Remember, when you increase boost, you are increasing compression. You also may be limited by the exhaust system's capacity, which will rob HP.
Whats the stock compression ratio? Providing fuel is easy especially with GM cars.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts