Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to turbos as in I was a turbo virgin before this install. Sure a lot of learning the first time.:devil:

I read this on another forum this morning, and it makes since. I feel so stupid if this takes care of my boost falling off. I have my Tial waste-gate referenced from the turbo. My AEM fail safe gauge is referenced from the intake manifold. Gauge has a usb port and I use it for data logging RPM/AFR/BOOST. So the pressure drop across the piping is not accounted for. I am going to go move my tubing if I can find enough tubing and log some data, I will post my results.

This is my before and you can see the cycle. One thing good it is repeatable so it is something systematic and I should be able to make it better.

[/URL][/IMG]

"Yeah I have noticed that too, how the boost will behave differently if I run it off the turbo. W/o changing the settings, the INITIAL boost level will actually be the same, but as RPM's increase, pressure drop across the I/C increases as well, so boost will fall off as RPM's go up, when I get the signal from the turbo. This is what killed my last dyno session :( When I run the signal from the manifold, boost stays more or less the same all the way to redline."

·
Registered
260 Posts
There will be a drop in Boost pressure form the turbo to the throttle body. the drop on pressure, is that what the gauge shows? How much boost are you showing at the manifold? What is the wastegate set at? There is a natural drop of boost from the Turbo to the T/B, but boost should still hold steady at that point. make sure all of your couplers are tight,

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems I have about a 2 psi loss in the intercooler, piping etc. Had to turn the manual boost controller down 2psi to get back to ~10 psi when I moved the vacuum source. Once I moved the waste-gate vacuum source to the intake manifold the boost flattened out. I do have a spike when the car shifts.

I would like to see what an electronic boost controller could do to flatten out the boost. Not sure it will help any my 1 psi spike occurs when the car shifts. The spike is pretty darn quick and in the middle boost cycle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey so i bought a 2008 soltice love the car other choice was a 350z . well i put a stage 3 tubro kit in it from Hahns has everything for the kit. car can be a crazy bad ass auto . since we put in the tubro the shifting seems way less strong . had car up yo 143 mph in short time keeps up well with GT Mustang im locate in Sussex County Delaware. Seems to me car could be better tune . So is there any one in 100 miles that can due this type of work ?

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
You will always lose boost from the turbo to the intake because of the pipes and intercooler (IC). From what I've read here, your loss is about average. Some have 4psi loss.... This is normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.