Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone point me towards the right removal procedure of turbo from GXP? Hubby is trying to put new water pump, he took everything else off without issues, but no clue on turbo, so we keep missing work while car is sitting in parts in the garage. No way in heck can we afford 1,200.00 for water pump replacement in the shop...
He got the holding tool and the pump, pretty much ready to move onto the water pump itself, but it's not budging due to turbo blocking it.

Thanks

·
Registered
676 Posts
i dont have the turbo removal procedure, however if you car is under warranty (5yr 100k miles) the water pump is covered 100%

Hopefully someone will get you the procedure shortly should be just unbolting the cat, , IC tube and the intake at the turbo. Then the water and oil lines.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Follow Miller advise. there are dealers that do not understand the 5 year 100K warranty.
Hopefully your car falls withing the warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car went out the warranty in March :( Called around for quotes cheapest i found was 1,100 for pump removal. We are already way in, it's only the turbo messing us up. Plus two bolts are impossible to take off, we tried every single tool we have and none can reach, it's that tight...That's why i thought that there is a procedure on how to do this. Someone posted a 25 steps to remove turbo from GXP, but the link is not good any longer.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I posted that. Go to that thread -GXP turbo removal - 2/19/12, the guy stated there was 1 hidden bolt causing trouble and he said how he found it. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll scan the paper manual and post it here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just read his post again. I think those 4 bolts that he is mentioning are the reason why we got stuck. We took front two (if you stand on the passenger side of the hood and look at it. Upper and lower rear two bolts are impossible to reach. Not one single wrench or tool can grab it and leave enough space to turn it in order to take them off. We tried every tool we have in the garage, and we have lots, but we are probably missing something that could make this job very easy. That's why i assumed that we maybe approached turbo removal wrongly... 25 step would be a life saver, i am about to get fired from work :(
miller11386, this car is one of "those"... our other solstice has no issues whatsoever, this one has a different problem every month. We are used to fixing cars in the garage and we always had Pontiac's but this one is not very DIY friendly. In 15 years we took car to dealership only once and it was a transmission replacement on our Grand Prix. Solstice goes to dealership for every single thing, and the reason we are so strapped for cash is this particular GXP :) Blew our entire savings on a car, since November of 2011.

·
Registered
676 Posts
exactly my point. Throw the repair on a credit card and sell the car. makes no sense to keep it if you cannot afford to maintain it. Sell it and pick up something more affordable.

As far as the bolts, there is no trick to it. Extensions and swivels are you friend. I have watched mechanics take this turbo off in a matter of an hour so idk what the issue is with yours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts