Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long will we have to wait for the Turbo Solstice (GT/GXP/whatever)???

I have a downpayment ready NOW! I wonder if any dealership would put me on a list to order the first turbo Solstice?

I hope the GXP will be unveiled, and be made available to order soon, so that I can purchase one in 2006.

I know I am being optimistic about this car since the first 1000 and first year allocation has been so slow. But honestly, if someone has a base Solstice on order are they really going to cancel their order and wait another 12 months for a turbo? I doubt it. On the other hand, the sportscar purists like me have always been begging for the Turbo/GXP model and we are waiting patiently in the wings for its release. I can hardly wait.....just to order one regardless of the extra cost it will certainly have.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Best guess is that GM will officially announce the turbo Sol at the Detroit Auto Show. They always have a big hit at that one, and a turbo Sol and Sky is bound to be a big hit.

I would guess that they will be on sale for the 2007 model year, so late summer to fall next year should do it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Best guess is that GM will officially announce the turbo Sol at the Detroit Auto Show. They always have a big hit at that one, and a turbo Sol and Sky is bound to be a big hit.

I would guess that they will be on sale for the 2007 model year, so late summer to fall next year should do it.

From http://www.thecarconnection.com website....note its a pre-production solstice!

Spy Shots: ’07 Pontiac Solstice Turbo
Could 250 hp be on tap for the two-seater?
by KGP Photography (2005-09-19)

Pontiac engineers ventured to the Nürburgring to take some hot laps in the hot version of the Solstice roadster. Several styling differences set this prototype apart as the turbocharged version of Pontiac's halo car. The high-performance additions to the Solstice clearly require more breathing ability. The large round lights set into the Solstice's bumper fascia - surrounded by bodywork on the standard 170-hp model - are set within additional honeycomb grillework on this prototype. Sharply sculpted edges outline the added grilles, giving more definition to the Solstice's face. The Turbo Solstice's more chiseled look is furthered by a deeper, squared-off jawline, which incorporates another thin air-intake slit at the bottom.

The changes at the rear are less pronounced: a subtle lip spoiler sets this more muscled model apart from the standard version. By applying a turbocharger to GM's 2.4-liter Ecotec engine, this Solstice will generate at least 240 horsepower, and rumors suggest it may even exceed 250 horses. Regardless of the final output numbers, this car should give serious competition to the likes of Mazda's new Miata, as long as the Solstice's final execution manages to live up to the promise of the car's sexy lines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
forget turbo, supercharge

Kenne Belle is developing a new supercharger for the 2.4 engine. They are targeting 300hp. The supercharger will be avail sometime next spring.
If you can't wait, Mallet Motor cars is offering a V-8 LS-2 conversion.
Mine is going to be done next week. #541 White/ sand interior.
more power!

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Fformula88 said:

I hate to sound "clueless" but when is the auto show. :confused: Be gentle ... ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do you have contact info for Kenne Belle?

sandrutz said:
Kenne Belle is developing a new supercharger for the 2.4 engine. They are targeting 300hp. The supercharger will be avail sometime next spring.
more power!
Do you have contact info for Kenne Belle? Where are they located, how much does the mod cost? Thanks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
I hate to sound "clueless" but when is the auto show. :confused: Be gentle ... ;)
Ff88 is likely far more up on these things than I am, but the North American International Auto Show is scheduled for the the first part of January, I believe.
I'm not certain if that's the one he's referring to though.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Michael said:
Ff88 is likely far more up on these things than I am, but the North American International Auto Show is scheduled for the the first part of January, I believe.
I'm not certain if that's the one he's referring to though.
Yup, the Detroit show also called the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) is typically where American auto makers debut new models. Not 100% but usually they go all out to debut for the show in their own backyard. And yes, it's in January.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
mceb said:
Yup, the Detroit show also called the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) is typically where American auto makers debut new models. Not 100% but usually they go all out to debut for the show in their own backyard. And yes, it's in January.
Great ...I come home around that time. However, I do not think the wife will go for a roadtrip to MI, in Jan. ;) :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
NAIAS Schedule

Press Days:
January 8-10, 2006

Industry Days:
January 11-12, 2006

Charity Preview:
January 13, 2006

Public Days:
January 14-22, 2006

http://www.naias.com/

Talked to my dealer a couple days back about ordering a 2007 Turbo Sol. They felt that it could be ordered as early as sometime in January. Doesn't mean crapola tho...but thought I'd mention it.... :willy:

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
theartfuldodger said:
NAIAS Schedule

Press Days:
January 8-10, 2006

Industry Days:
January 11-12, 2006

Charity Preview:
January 13, 2006

Public Days:
January 14-22, 2006

http://www.naias.com/

Talked to my dealer a couple days back about ordering a 2007 Turbo Sol. They felt that it could be ordered as early as sometime in January. Doesn't mean crapola tho...but thought I'd mention it.... :willy:
That Turbo comment made my day ... too bad it is almost over. ;)
Everything seems to be lining up for <Feb, which would be nice for me. Thanks :thumbs:

·
Registered
275 Posts
sandrutz said:
more power!
I wouldn't go near an aftermarket kit for a new car - warranty is voided
as far as I can tell. That's an option for a used Solstice that's out of warranty.
An LS2 conversion is crazy - the weight distribution would be horrible. You
also become the sole mechanic for most of the car - no dealer would touch such a car, if I know auto dealerships. With a car like that, you'd better have a second vehicle. Who knows how long it will take to diagnose and fix it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
One of my freinds/former employees modified his 2005 Mustang the same day he drove it off the lot and has been changing something or another every month..some peeps couldn't care less about the warranty...

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
sandrutz said:
more power!
I would like some information also please.
I contacted PROCHARGER yesterday and offer my car to them, but they said the SOL did not have enough people wanting Supercharges, so at this time they were not interested, told me to call back summer of next year.
I am sure there are a lot of people like myself that want a SUPERCHARGER as oppose to a Turbo, if you do then lets all contact PROCHARGER and see if they will change their mind. Their product is very good, you my want to go to this site and check them out.
http://www.procharger.com/

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
LatinVenom said:
I would like some information also please.
I contacted PROCHARGER yesterday and offer my car to them, but they said the SOL did not have enough people wanting Supercharges, so at this time they were not interested, told me to call back summer of next year.
I am sure there are a lot of people like myself that want a SUPERCHARGER as oppose to a Turbo, if you do then lets all contact PROCHARGER and see if they will change their mind. Their product is very good, you my want to go to this site and check them out.
http://www.procharger.com/
That's kind of dissapointing to here since ProCharger is a very well known company, and they had told a member about 4 months ago they were initialy planning on working on one. Especially since whatever kit they make could be modified for the Sky + Opel, and the tuning things they learn from it can be used on the G6, ION, Cobalt, and HRR too. The only difference between kits would be the mounting brackets and other items specific to the chasis.

I guess we'll just have to look elsewhere for another company to step up to the plate for us then. Watching Rides last night ststurbo.com (I think bradyb was the member who works for them) did an HHR kit for the show, I was going to find out if it was an ECOTEC 2.2L or 2.4L engine they did it for (my bet is 2.2L since it's cheaper).

I just went looking. I'm very amased the HHR GM gave them was a 2.4L VVT ECOTEC. You can see the VVT on the top of the engine in the following images.
http://www.hhrclub.org/galleries/hhr-custom-by-dark-side/image-view.php?pic=28
http://www.hhrclub.org/galleries/hhr-custom-by-dark-side/image-view.php?pic=29
http://www.hhrclub.org/galleries/hhr-custom-by-dark-side/image-view.php?pic=30

Think it might be time to send a message off to bradyb to see what's going on with Solstice development since he had said they were planning on it before. :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Atldriver said:
Do you have contact info for Kenne Belle? Where are they located, how much does the mod cost? Thanks.
Looks like it's Bell not Belle and looks like most of their kits are in the 4-5K range.

http://www.kennebell.net/

As much as I'd like to have a 300HP Solstice...I'll probably order a 2007 GXP and sell my 2006 EOP if I'm happy with it. I think it will be easier to tweak without voiding the warranty. It looks like the aftermarkets are going to cost too much and there's the warranty/service issue.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I like the newer looks. Now I can't decide if I like the GXP look or the Gravana... This is going to be a very hard decision.

By the way, I believe Mallet warranties all the work they do and anything it voids the warranty for on GMs warranty. However, I agree that the LS2's extra 100 LBs would through off the weight of the car. But by the same standards, adding a turbo/super with an intercooler would do the same. Give or take, I'd rather have the super or turbo. The LS2 isn't nearly as efficient.

If GM keeps the look of the GXP to what it is, I'll buy it without a second thought. But lets be honest, how often do they stick to what they have? (What's cheaper?)

Mean while, this week I'm going to pick up a '78 Pacecar Corvette! :cool: I'm sure by the end of this year, I'm giong to have at least 5 of the cars I've always wanted. (minus the sol.)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Magnezium said:
I'd rather have the super or turbo. The LS2 isn't nearly as efficient.
Yeah...I drive a '69 Firebird because it's efficient? :willy:

·
Registered
109 Posts
theartfuldodger said:
Yeah...I drive a '69 Firebird because it's efficient? :willy:
LOL! Yeah, I had one of those old gas guzzlers... My 79 Bonneville (or Born-evil as I called it.)

My LS1 is pretty efficient, but in a 5 speed, I don't know. I get about 20 MPG now, but I bet in the Sol it wont get nearly that with the 5 speed. Also, from what I've heard, the LS2 gets a whopping 1 mile per gallon less then the LS1.

However, the Turbo will help economy for freeway driving. I'm going to upgrade the turbo eventually to a larger turbo. (After some engine work of course.)

·
Registered
710 Posts
I am the opposite as you. I will skip the GXP if it looks like the pics we have all seen so far. Way to busy looking in the front end and the change in the shape of the fascia is just not right. The front is supposed to be round. If they manage to keep it closer to what it looks like today and not change the fog lamp area then I am in...

Magnezium said:
I like the newer looks. Now I can't decide if I like the GXP look or the Gravana... This is going to be a very hard decision.

By the way, I believe Mallet warranties all the work they do and anything it voids the warranty for on GMs warranty. However, I agree that the LS2's extra 100 LBs would through off the weight of the car. But by the same standards, adding a turbo/super with an intercooler would do the same. Give or take, I'd rather have the super or turbo. The LS2 isn't nearly as efficient.

If GM keeps the look of the GXP to what it is, I'll buy it without a second thought. But lets be honest, how often do they stick to what they have? (What's cheaper?)

Mean while, this week I'm going to pick up a '78 Pacecar Corvette! :cool: I'm sure by the end of this year, I'm giong to have at least 5 of the cars I've always wanted. (minus the sol.)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts