Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is general out to anyone; Seeking some thoughts with consideration given that GM had some issue with the Eco 4 and Turbo delivery. Any thoughts for modifying with a custom turbo and or pushing the turbo off to the side to discuss the value of adding a custom supercharger?

I have given thought to throwing the LS1 into the mix but do not want to jack with the overall balance of the kappa frame so unless someone is wanting to do straight line events the LS1 seems complete overkill and destroys the balance handling of the car.

So I believe this is where my research has brought me - who has thoughts to share.

·
Administrator
9,697 Posts
I think that owners of the LSx conversions may take exception to the comment about destroying the balance of the car. By all accounts installing the V8 has a neutral or even beneficial effect on the weight distribution, and a minimal impact on total weight.

Beyond that, a search of this site and skyroadster.com will give you numerous examples of tuned stock turbo, custom replacement turbo, and both positive displacement and centrifugal supercharger applications as well as extensive reviews of the aforementioned LSx conversions.

And, welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Any thoughts for modifying with a custom turbo and or pushing the turbo off to the side to discuss the value of adding a custom supercharger?
I have been reading this forum for 4 months with the same questions. There are many approaches and each has its advocated.

First there are a few chassis mods needed if you want it to handle like a sports car. DDM Werks chassis kit is the beginning, then possibly stiffer sway bars. Before you add more power you need to upgrade the brakes. Next top of the line tires.

Are you talking GXP or NA?

GXP: Get an ECM tune. GM and aftermarket are available. If that is not enough not, upgrade the turbo. Still not enough, "you could have had a V8" (tm)
NA Try an ECM tune. If you still want more, a supercharger is fairly simple and cost effective, and should run with the GXPs.

My humble opinion. I look forward to other responses.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
So this is general out to anyone; Seeking some thoughts with consideration given that GM had some issue with the Eco 4 and Turbo delivery. Any thoughts for modifying with a custom turbo and or pushing the turbo off to the side to discuss the value of adding a custom supercharger?

I have given thought to throwing the LS1 into the mix but do not want to jack with the overall balance of the kappa frame so unless someone is wanting to do straight line events the LS1 seems complete overkill and destroys the balance handling of the car.

So I believe this is where my research has brought me - who has thoughts to share.
Hard to figure out what you want. What issues are there with the LE5/LNF and turbo delivery? The GXP for example...

Here are some thoughts when looking at the two platforms and the various hp upgrade options...

S/C's for the base car are very expensive upgrades compared to the other options available to get to GXP level power (with a tune), and they will need clutch upgrades, handling upgrades, etc. S/C's do have great driveability in their power, especially on the street, and good reliability with their well-researched plug-and-play setup.

Turbo's on a base solstice are much cheaper than S/C's, but they aren't as plug-and-play as the S/C kits. Some fabrication and custom work/tuning is often the case. Reliability and power delivery/AUC is dependent upon the quality of the turbo, installer, and any fabrication as well as tuning. Base solstice turbo's doing S/C stage III hp levels (300 whp + or -) will also need similar clutch upgrades, etc.

It is literally much cheaper at this time to sell a base car and get a GXP with the added power and reliability cooked in with the superiority of the manufacturer's deep pockets and engineering.

Plenty of people have had success with turbos on both the base and gxp. The serious power adders (400 whp+), which will be turbos (not S/Cs), have shown 'some' engine reliability issues on 'some' cars for both the base and gxp models. GXP's need only basic bolt-ons to get to 350-450 whp. Base cars can't "bolt-on" much above around 310-320 whp without getting into bottom end work and changes (or 'alternative' adjustments to lower the compression ratio). All estimates are sans nitrous.

v8's conversions are super expensive to do reasonably well (lots of expensive parts to start with), hence their costs. And some people here still have some issues in their ownership of them. But v8's are the best and most common option for a major drivetrain conversion/upgrade for the kappa platform. From basic yet still great LS1 - LS3 conversions to the super exotic LS7 cars and twin turbo v8 monsters.

I think that owners of the LSx conversions may take exception to the comment about destroying the balance of the car. By all accounts installing the V8 has a neutral or even beneficial effect on the weight distribution, and a minimal impact on total weight.
And that's how strange it has gotten with some vocal posters consistently referencing some poorly measured and reported conversion weight #'s from one post. The best results here (and much better tests) done for a v8 conversion shows a negative effect on weight distribution (a 2 percent increase on the front end), with more weight over the front.

My base Solstice weighed 2933lbs, with a 52.0F/48.0R weight distribution.
After the conversion AND ON THE SAME SET OF SCALES in the same shop,
3083lbs, 54.0F/46.0R.
Regardless, this weight difference and its effects for many v8 owners are not significant and there are many happy v8 conversion owners and cars out there.

First there are a few chassis mods needed if you want it to handle like a sports car. DDM Werks chassis kit is the beginning, then possibly stiffer sway bars. Before you add more power you need to upgrade the brakes. Next top of the line tires.
This opinion on the original chassis seems to be recent nonsense on the forum. The solstice handles extremely well in stock configuration (gxp even more so), and most certainly "like a sports car". The suspension upgrades were either oem skunkworks options (Z0K), or aftermarket options doing similar, to make the car literally become a national autocross and T2 championship winning platform.

The brakes are just fine for most people on the street until serious power upgrades (aka speeds). The brakes need definite work for roadtrack (roadcourse) use.

Tires should be the first upgrade high performance-minded people do as it makes a big difference and is so simple/easy.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
The problem with an LS swap is unless you do the work yourself and get a deal on the parts you will take a beating if you ever want to sell it plus the market is very limited on them .That being said they are great cars if the conversion is done right and the handling difference is really not that extreme I believe the weight difference is around 150 lbs .If that's the direction you want to go look for a car already done most are selling in the 25 grand and under range for a car that originally sold in the mid 50's to low 60's depending on the options (Mallet Cars ).The brakes are fine all that you would need is a pad and maybe stainless brake line upgrade . If you want to go the turbo route which for me is the best bang for the buck a GXP or an NA with an aftermarket kit would be the way to go I've got a Hann kit on mine which I am very pleased with .One thing to consider is that many racers drag ,road race etc. are going the turbo route for a reason .As for a supercharger I maybe wrong but I don't think anyone is making them for our cars ,DDM Works did at one time but they have switched over to turbo kits and they cost substantially more then a turbo . A tune on a relatively stock NA will not gain you all that much in the horsepower dept.but will remove some of the limits that GM programmed into these cars .

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
DDMWorks does offer a Rotrex centrifugal supercharger kit for the 2.4 ($5,000), and used to sell a MP62 Positive Displacement Supercharger for it too but it has been out of stock for a couple of years. A new improved MP62 kit is in the works, but it's also been stuck in the development phase for a couple of years now. DDM will no longer make comment on the availability of MP62 kit until it's ready for production.

So if you own a 2.4 you can go w/an aftermarket turbo or Rotrex supercharger to achieve OEM GXP like power levels. If you own a 2.0, you can use a aftermarket tune, bigger intercooler, free flow catalytic convertor to get around 300 + HP. IF you want around 400 you're talking about a bigger turbo. The common saying is that anything above 400 HP on OEM LNF internals is asking for trouble.

As far as V8s go, you either want one in a Kappa or you don't. The Kappa was never engineered for anything other than a four cylinder. Though I do not think it was an accident that the engine bay was made large enough to stick a V8 in it. I'm also thinking it doesn't make much sense to install a heavier V8 engine and then settle for modified 2.0 like HP levels. If someone is going through the time and expense of installing a V8 then I'd think 500HP should be the minimum that should be considered.

If you are concerned about handling then I'd stick w/the 2.0 because there's still a lot of performance potential in it's stock form, and if it is modified right will give you V8 like HP.

Just remember regardless of the path you take there's always going to be pros & cons, and only you can decide if you can deal w/them or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts