Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AztekRPurty will not like this UNscientific survey done online by MSN as the Pontiac Aztek at this point leads as "worst" car even over the Vega and Yugo. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10155740/?pg=10#anc_TurkeyCars_2005 Everyone should help the brand out by going to the vote page and picking anything other than the Aztek. It may be maligned, but it IS a Pontiac. If you want to stick it to GM, at least stick it t o the Vega. BTW I had forgotten their unique delivery system. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10139923/

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
:devil: I voted for the A**Tek :devil: It is blowing the compitition away! (22%) ;) :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can't argue that

It's hard to defend the Aztec. It's the fugliest thing out of Detroit since the 75 AMC Matador. That pic of the Vegas nose down on the rail car brought back some memories. The Vegas had special batteries with filler caps at the back of the battery case to contain the electrolyte when the cars were shipped nose down.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And where exactly outside of CA did the Chinese ever sell that thing, which brings up why such a limited list to choose from , where was the VW Thing on the list?
Here instead is my list, not of just plain ugly cars like the Citoen 2CV but of cars I think missed their mark.

• Chrysler Airflows: a design ahead of its time, as aerodynamics had not been fully embraced yet
  • AMC Pacer: trying to make a competetive compact out of full size never works
  • chevy Vega: concept seemed great at the time but execution left a lot to be desired, and the Cosworth really takes the cake
  • Ford Pinto: another example of a popular and high selling design done in by corporate greed and disdain for safety
  • AMC Alliance: French cars are not built to hold up to American roads.
  • 1946-1948 anything American as the manufacturers knew they could produce anything and the car starved public would buy anything
And a short list of cars I think actually were good but undone either by market conditions or the competition.
  • 50's Studebakers from the pen of Raymond Loewy (all the low hawks. a case of design before the big 3 were ready)
  • Corvair, second edition. Ralph Nader was proven wrong in court as GM was vindicated (nobody seems to remember these facts) GM kept the 'vair in production until they won, and then promptly pulled the plug
  • Edsel: despite the anchor around its history the cars themselves were overall built well for the time and filled a market that went into downslide teh day it was introduced
  • Tucker: watch the movie AND read the book
  • in the same vein, Delorean and Bricklin, it is difficult to bring a brand to market with a single car unless you made your money in trash (Panoz)
  • Also from Studebaker, the Lark Wagonaire, GMC is reusing a 40 year old design in their sliding roof SUV
  • And again Studebaker Avanti, not the fastest nor lightest of "personal luxury cars" like T-bird, look at how long the original design held up and for how many years after the company went under that the basic Avanti still was produced.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
VW Thing

Ah Yes,

Another of the fine vehicles owned by my Dad over the years!!!

Not a very good winter car, your right foot damn near burned up and the rest of your body froze solid! :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Oooooh, it's a tossup between the Aztek and the Scion xB. I still get a chuckle whenever I hear a radio commercial that has some kid bragging about how good his Scion xB looks.

Flagg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good taste is timeless

I recall when "The Thing" was popular in town and seemed to have almost a cult status. The Pacer aka the fish bowl sold well when it first came out. The Pacer was heavy, under powered and got lousy mileage. This is the only car I can think of where the passenger door was 3 inches longer than the drivers door. Glad to see most of them are gone.

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
I have seen AztekRPurty's prized vehicle in person and it is 'nearly' a thing of beauty! Ugly cars are hard for me to recognize - as I once owned a 1951 Crosley Super Sedan.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Allright, allright, hold it down in here.

I have no problem with people saying the Aztek is ugly. Even I probably wouldn't have bought one of those early ones with the rubbermaid cladding.

What nobody can say, however, is that it's a BAD car.

The YUGO got my vote, those things would barely get home from the dealership. I especially liked the cardboard interior panels.

What's missing from the list? Maybe the first Hyundai Excel, and the worst car I ever owned, the Chevette. That car single-handedly drove America to buy Civics. Honda should have paid a commision to GM for every one they made.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
Allright, allright, hold it down in here.

I have no problem with people saying the Aztek is ugly. Even I probably wouldn't have bought one of those early ones with the rubbermaid cladding.

What nobody can say, however, is that it's a BAD car.

The YUGO got my vote, those things would barely get home from the dealership. I especially liked the cardboard interior panels.

What's missing from the list? Maybe the first Hyundai Excel, and the worst car I ever owned, the Chevette. That car single-handedly drove America to buy Civics. Honda should have paid a commision to GM for every one they made.
Ohhh, :agree:
I had a friend in Chicago with a 2 year old used Chevette, and it had rusted through the floorboards already. He reminded me of Fred Flintstone with braking by foot action if you know what I mean. Anyway, the car developed an exhaust leak, again only 2 years old, and basically because of the rusted floorplan, you almost died from carbon monoxide poisoning. He sold it finally for a Nissan 240SX in the 80s when the car was perhaps 10 years old. Worst car I ever rode in. The Yugos, however, got my vote. Had a friend in Cleveland who bought a new one, it was a totally bomb. It died after one winter. Rusted and the engine dead after one winter in Cleveland.
I did see a modified Aztec picture on the net a few months ago. Lowered louvered and spoilered with nice mag wheels. Gotta find that one and post here...Aztec's were not a bad build.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Worst Ever

It has to be the East German produced Trabant. It was an economy car that made the yugo look good. Powered by a 25 hp two stroke it was over 20 seconds to 60 mph. It had a plastic with wool reinforced body which pigs and rats found very tastey and you had to be careful where you parked it. I talked to a guy who owned one in Poland and he said the seats on his Trabant were stuffed with horse hair so the car smelled like a barn when the seats got wet. Thankfully production ceased in 1991.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Metro

OK.. Anyone remember the Metropolitan?

I had one in high school... 2-tone, 2 seats, a small bench in back. 4 cylinder with I think a cracked head as standard option (I had 4 in a couple of years).
Storage space was tiny, and accessed from inside-- no outside trunk door.

And many complain about Solstice storage! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
My dealer has a Metropolitan in one of their used car show rooms in Ohio next to a vintage 'Vette. They were strange, but fun, cars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts