Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I tried the mod to make my side markers act as turn signals. Basically I cut the black wire coming from the side marker light and spliced it into the blue(ish) wire from the fog/turn lights. This did not work for me. I have the RKSPORTS front bumper so there is no connections on the fog/turn signal light connector, would this be the problem?

What are my other options on how to get some kind of turn signal? Is there a connector piece I can buy to allow me to again use the correct turn signal bulb, as I do not have that anymore. I just have this grey piece.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
Yep. That mod depends on the front bulb turn signal filament acting as a path to ground, so it wont work for your situation.

You'll either have to get fancy with a relay on each side, or connect a dummy bulb inside the bumper :)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which would be easiest? What would I connect a bulb to? Is there a connector I can get that goes into that grey connector to be able to put an actual turn signal bulb?

Can you point me in the right direction as to how to complete whichever of the methods you mentioned would be easiest for a novice

Btw thank you for all that you do for this forum!

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
Do you still have the bulb holders (from the original bumper/light assembly)? If so, just plug that in to the grey connector and put a turn sig bulb in the socket.

Otherwise, you'd need to connect a bulb (or ~6ohm power resistor) between the blue wire and black wire in the grey connector. You could try one of those resistors sold for LED 'hyper flashing'.

Obviously need to do this on both sides.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
That should work, and no it doesn't matter before or after.

*BUT* I would test this first... insert a bare wire end from the resistors into the connector at the blue and black wire positions - enough to make contact. Then test one side. If it works, you can proceed. If it doesn't then you haven't hashed up your wiring for nothing :)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually just remembered I have 2 brand new fog/turn housings unopened. I opened them up, took the harness and connected it to the grey connector.

So it works just fine with the original bulbs it came with. I have a pair of 3157 switchback LEDs I tried to put in place of the turn signal bulb. But it would not work. It only stayed amber color and then would not blink when I used the turn signal....also, I believe it caused even the side marker to not blink ...any ideas?

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
Yes. LEDs will not work. They have no static path to ground since they are active devices.

You need filament bulbs or a standard resistor - as I said.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts