Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
twisted and damaged
just got my new car last week--1 week after promised. we called pontiac to see where it was and walla-it was delivered the next business day. hmmm

we have to replace back bumper pannel because of "shipping damage", also under the front bumper the paint has worn off--do not know exactly what will be done with that.

also--front bumper is on crooked--off almost 1/2 inch
drivers door is solid when shutting, but the line is off 2/5 inch so lines don't match--will have to be taken off and ajusted i guess

pass door is on straight, but rattles when closing.

roof seems to fit fine but is higher over drivers head vs. pass side--this might just be a setteling problem that will fix itself.

has anyone notices the top of back bumper? is this suppose to be "wavey" for lack of better term--goes up and down several times like putty on a flat board applied by an amature

we have a slew op adjustments to have made and the scratches all over the car were unreal--was like the guy that was cleaning it in mich had sand under his or her rag...dealer got most of them out and promised when they replace the bumpers, etc the will pollish again.

i could go on and on but this is too long----am i alone here???

we absolutely love the car--just wish the quality controll guy was not at lunch on day 1-which is the day this car ran off the line

let me knowblack

·
Registered
401 Posts
You sound much more patient then I would be at this point Please keep us informed on what is done to fix all the problems. It makes me take note to be extra carefull and note all problems before it leaves the dealership.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Tally said:
twisted and damaged
just got my new car last week--1 week after promised. we called pontiac to see where it was and walla-it was delivered the next business day. hmmm

we have to replace back bumper pannel because of "shipping damage", also under the front bumper the paint has worn off--do not know exactly what will be done with that.

also--front bumper is on crooked--off almost 1/2 inch
drivers door is solid when shutting, but the line is off 2/5 inch so lines don't match--will have to be taken off and ajusted i guess

roof seems to fit fine but is higher over drivers head vs. pass side--this might just be a setteling problem that will fix itself.

has anyone notices the top of back bumper? is this suppose to be "wavey" for lack of better term--goes up and down several times like putty on a flat board applied by an amature

we have a slew op adjustments to have made and the scratches all over the car were unreal--was like the guy that was cleaning it in mich had sand under his or her rag...dealer got most of them out and promised when they replace the bumpers, etc the will pollish again.

i could go on and on but this is too long----am i alone here???

we absolutely love the car--just wish the quality controll guy was not at lunch on day 1-which is the day this car ran off the line

let me knowblack
You've gotta be kidding? No really, you are kidding right? I SMELL A TROLL!

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I'd agree with the troll comment... he says "some guy in MICH"... he doesn't even know where they are built....also.. no VIN number listed...

·
Registered
340 Posts
stang said:
According to "The List" he has car #70. Still seems odd that a car would be delivered like that.
OK if he or she is legit, please accept my apologies for the troll comment. Just seems unbelievable how much of a lemon your car is. :skep:

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
sonoransolstice said:
OK if he or she is legit, please accept my apologies for the troll comment. Just seems unbelievable how much of a lemon your car is. :skep:
I'm with you. It does seem odd that this car is so bad while all the others are perfect. Maybe the truck driver "took it for a spin". ;)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Quality Control?

OK, is it me or is something wrong with many of the first 1000. GM, get your quality under control! Sounds like this car was thrown together....... :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Manufacturering process and post production handling seem to be at fault

ntouched said:
OK, is it me or is something wrong with many of the first 1000. GM, get your quality under control! Sounds like this car was thrown together....... :yesnod:
There's an adage in Engineering (and other disciplines, too) It's a triangular diagram with many different variations of the basic three "good", "fast", "cheap". The phrase is:
"Good, fast, cheap, pick any two."​
The point is that it is possible to optimize for any pair of these, but trying to get all three at once will provide none of the three in any significant measure.

A diagram looks like this:

You can pick a spot anywhere in the triangle, but going toward the center compromises all three, and you get something that is neither good, nor fast, nor cheap. It's a medeocre product produced in an average amount of time, for a middle of the road cost/price.

Here, I mean good as a quality axis, fast as in time to produce, and cheap as in cost to manufacture which relates directly to the sticker price you and I pay. The point is, you can have it be very high quality, and it will be neither fast nor cheap.

Each manufacturer tries to pick a point on that triangle were they can meet their own values and win the most customers while making a profit.

So, what's this got to do with the price of tea in China? Umm.... I don't know, but in this case, this particular unit was optimized too heavily for fast. ;) Not really, but it was fun to say anyway. Some of the problems lie along the quality line, but the scratches seem to be from post production mishandling...

The real point I'm trying to make is that this is an initial startup production for a brand new platform, and there are bound to be some growing pains.

GM has generally chosen to have the units go through a quality hold and rework as necessary. This unit seems to have been badly handled by the transporter(s) (low ground clearance means extra special handling is required when getting the vehicle on and off of a car carrier or train car, see my post link do: Low ground clearance versus incline) and I would bet that's where the scratches came from under the front bumper. For ease and quick reference, I've quoted the basic passage below:
Crimson Avenger said:
Because the body of Solstice is low to the ground, when you approach an inclined ramp from a flat surface, the nose of the vehicle may wind up touching down on the ramp before the tires start climbing the front of the ramp sufficiently to keep the nose from touching, like this:

Similarly, when going over a bump or "kink" where the ramp levels out, you can scrape the center of the car as the front wheels proceed out along the straight part before the rear wheels have lifted the center of the car sufficiently to avoid the "peak" of the ramp. In off roading, this is called "high centering" and it occurs when the curvature at the top of an obstacle is sharper than the ground clearance will permit the vehicle to clear, like this:
As for the front bumper/fascia alignment, there were previously reported problems with that. It's difficult to get the plastic (urethane) to hang just so when mounted and gravity begins to pull down on it. GM already had to go back and do some re-engineering on that one. Same too with the rear, the mounting points seem to be causing some stress ripples in the top edge of the rear bumper.

With regard to the scratches, it could have been anyone from GM's final inspection/cleaning crew to the first fellow to rub it down by mistake with a cloth with a few grains of sand or dirt. It could also have happened when they washed it at the dealership, and rubbed it with a brush, cloth or sponge and picked up some dirt from a spot where some sand was hiding out after the car had been rinsed. The paint and specifically, the clear coat is very soft for the first 2 months, and scratches very easily. Heck, so does glass! I've got some swirl scratches in the glass of my side mirrors from grit at the hands of a careless "detailer".

Unfortunately, even the best manufacturer has a finite (non-zero) rate of defects per 1000 units, and this appears to be one of those in that "finite but non-zero" number. It's like flipping a coin and getting 4 heads in a row, not very predictable as to exactly when, or which flips, but will happen all the same in a certain percentage of flips...

It sounds like the Dealer and GM will be working together to fix and/or repair the fit and finish issues. I'm sure you'll be happy with the result. At this point, you are to be commended for not trying to optimize for "fast"--your patience with the process is commendable. I'm sure you'll be well rewarded by the years of joy you'll get out of your solstice. :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Tally said:
twisted and damaged

You can thank Fformula88 for that! (9/12/05)
Fformula88 said:
GMlinedog, just drop a 1/16th inch socket into one of the doors! Then he will know you touched his car at the plant every time he gets in or out, or hits a bump!

J/K of course!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Tally,

I feel for ya. Hope all will be properly corrected.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
The paint and specifically, the clear coat is very soft for the first 2 months, and scratches very easily.
While that may be the case for repairs and repaints at the local body shop, factory paint is baked and fully cured when the car rolls off the line.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
two things...

How many miles were on the car when it arrived? It's hard to believe this much damage occured via 'normal' handling (some of these cars are sitting in the rail yards an awfully long time :skep: )

PICTURES - I'm not accusing you of being a troll, I just want to see how bad this looks (particularly the wavy rear bumper and lines on the drivers door :( )

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
MAKsys said:
How many miles were on the car when it arrived? It's hard to believe this much damage occured via 'normal' handling (some of these cars are sitting in the rail yards an awfully long time :skep: )

PICTURES - I'm not accusing you of being a troll, I just want to see how bad this looks (particularly the wavy rear bumper and lines on the drivers door :( )
And in particular, side picture showing location of 'GM' logo (diff between pre and reg production)

·
Registered
667 Posts
LBJay said:
While that may be the case for repairs and repaints at the local body shop, factory paint is baked and fully cured when the car rolls off the line.
This is a myth. New paint takes up to 2-4 months and sometimes longer (depending on sun exposure & ambient temps.) to fully cure. New paint is soft period! I would use extreme care if you choose to wax your new car for the first couple of months of ownership. Frequent washing using the proper equipment is the best bet for low impact on new paint.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Chip said:
This is a myth.
http://www.meguiars.com/nada/fastrack_browse.cfm?Turn=4

How soon can I wax a new car?

A new car that has a factory paint job can be waxed the moment it is rolled out of the plant. Cars that have factory paint jobs are cured at much higher temperatures, because the car goes through the paint booth without the rubber, plastic, and cloth components. This means the paint is cured by the time the car is completed. After-market paint finishes, however, are cured at a much lower temperature to ensure the booth doesn't melt non-metal components. In this case, allow for a 2-3 month curing process before your first wax application.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tally
twisted and damaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fformula88
GMlinedog, just drop a 1/16th inch socket into one of the doors! Then he will know you touched his car at the plant every time he gets in or out, or hits a bump!

J/K of course!
achieftain said:
:glol: But I hope you get it all worked out

·
Registered
600 Posts
Say it isn't so.....A long wait for delivery and now a period of adjustments... :lol: Hopefully it'll all be fixed quickley.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts