Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it looks like my battery issue is actually a battery issue. Three pieces of garbage in a row from O'Reilly (consider yourselves warned). I don't know about anyone else, but my battery cables require me to have a reverse polarity battery. The only place I could find one was Advance, and I had to get an 85 rather than an 86. The CCA is 625, not 650. I'm in Florida. Is this going to be an issue, or can I use this battery?

·
Administrator
10,689 Posts
So, it looks like my battery issue is actually a battery issue. Three pieces of garbage in a row from O'Reilly (consider yourselves warned). I don't know about anyone else, but my battery cables require me to have a reverse polarity battery. The only place I could find one was Advance, and I had to get an 85 rather than an 86. The CCA is 625, not 650. I'm in Florida. Is this going to be an issue, or can I use this battery?
It is good to hear that you have a solution to your problem.

The lower CCA will not be a problem.

Can you post a picture of the battery in the car? The "reverse polarity" comment confuses me as I do not recall having any issues like that.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
4,957 Posts
the posts are flip flopped.

Reactions: R&T

·
Registered
901 Posts
Did you change your battery cables? Why would you need to get a different battery from the stock one or similar?

·
Registered
983 Posts
The lower CCA will not be a problem
I agree, it only might be an issue when/if you take your car to a really cold area in winter, car spends the night out (not garaged) and you need to start it early on the morning. And I wouldn't expect that to be an issue with a new (quality) battery, only after it is more than a couple years old. I don't know about my Solstices original battery (already came with an aftermarket replacement when I bought it), but along the years the cars I have owned all lasted at least 5 years with the factory installed batteries. Climate here is a bit similar to Florida if a bit cooler during summers.

·
Registered
983 Posts
reverse polarity
Over here batteries are sold in "right" and "left" options. This refers to which side has the positive post when you put the battery in front of you with the posts nearest to you. Positive is near your right hand - it is a right battery. Positive is near your left hand - it is a left battery

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Menards carries ACDelco and our batteries.

·
Administrator
10,689 Posts
Over here batteries are sold in "right" and "left" options. This refers to which side has the positive post when you put the battery in front of you with the posts nearest to you. Positive is near your right hand - it is a right battery. Positive is near your left hand - it is a left battery
I know what it means. I am curious about why he needs something that appears to be unusual when I did not, at least as far as I know.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
901 Posts
I forgot to add, I agree with Johnwr, cca numbers are not an issue really for anyone south of the Mason Dixon line. Those only should be factored in if you have ambient winter temps at or below zero often

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
There are lies, damned lies and CCA ratings. Battery CCA ratings are almost never correct. Just find old Consumer Report reviews where they test batteries and find the actual ratings are all over the place. Bottom line, don't sweat it.

As for the "reversed terminals", just turn the battery 180 degrees. Pretty sure the cables will fit whether the terminals are at the 'front' or 'back' of the battery.

Lastly, this: Need a new battery? Group 25 will fit! (x-post) | Pontiac Solstice Forum
(Dayyum... from the date of that post, I see my replacement battery is getting on for 7 years old now!)

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
1,934 Posts
project farm on u tube did some battery test and all the ccas were all over the place.,as I recall the wallmart evermax battery was the best deal witch is what I have used for many years. and yes they do make some that dont last and some that doo. and a walmart in almost every town!! I paid $106 for my 2 one for the 06 and one for the coupe,the day i bought the one for the coupe the price went up to $149, but I still got it for the $106 always check the wally world interwebb price as they may be lower,.they also have oh somany more tires on line at great prices and furry shipping!!yes Ive got a lot of them too with zero issues.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I know what it means. I am curious about why he needs something that appears to be unusual when I did not, at least as far as I know.
Sure, I didn't mean to say you didn't know the meaning. Just trying to clarify about it for the OP.
I never knew to call our type of batteries as "reverse", really thought that right and left ones were both as common as each other.

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is good to hear that you have a solution to your problem.

The lower CCA will not be a problem.

Can you post a picture of the battery in the car? The "reverse polarity" comment confuses me as I do not recall having any issues like that.
Apparently you ( and everyone else) are in error.

I started the car once while I was putting it back together. No problems. Finished reassembly. Started and went down the street. Battery light was on all the way. It was 93 degrees out today.

Any new ideas?

·
Registered
303 Posts

I started the car once while I was putting it back together. No problems. Finished reassembly. Started and went down the street. Battery light was on all the way. It was 93 degrees out today.

Any new ideas?
Have you measured the battery voltage while the car is running to determine if it is charging? It should be over 13 volts if the alternator is working.

·
Administrator
10,689 Posts

Any new ideas?
The battery light generally means that the charging system isn't working. @pscartozzi is correct that the first thing to do is to check the charging voltage.

So, can you post a picture of the battery in the car?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I was at a battery distributor picking up marine starting batteries. Salesman took me into the warehouse and pointed out available battery configurations. Once I made a choice, he asked how long of a warranty I wanted and rattled off various warranty duration and price. Once I made a choice, he selected a battery label with the warranty selected and applied it to the side of the battery.

He explained that the batteries were the same internally and the difference in price was the duration of the warranty.

·
Administrator
10,689 Posts
I was at a battery distributor picking up marine starting batteries. Salesman took me into the warehouse and pointed out available battery configurations. Once I made a choice, he asked how long of a warranty I wanted and rattled off various warranty duration and price. Once I made a choice, he selected a battery label with the warranty selected and applied it to the side of the battery.

He explained that the batteries were the same internally and the difference in price was the duration of the warranty.
The last I heard there were two manufacturers of lead-acid batteries in the country, so you really are choosing warranty and accessibility.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts