Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
The last I heard there were two manufacturers of lead-acid batteries in the country, so you really are choosing warranty and accessibility.

That's what I heard too.

Up until about 20 years ago, there was a battery manufacturer in Tacoma, WA that built huge single cell batteries for the railroad and ferry industries. You could smell the acid from a block away.

They also built custom lead acid deep cycle batteries for sweepers, forklifts, golf carts, marine etc.

They sold the business when it became cost prohibited to meet environmental regulations.

The gentleman who owned the place breathed that heavy gas from the time he was born since both his parents ran the business. He was over 90 and still came in every day until the business was sold! He smoked too and used his cigarette to light the torch that he used to shrink tubing on custom battery cables, inside the gas filled building! Scared the crap out of me the first time he did that.

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The battery light generally means that the charging system isn't working. @pscartozzi is correct that the first thing to do is to check the charging voltage.

So, can you post a picture of the battery in the car?
Again, I have no idea how to check the charging voltage. Are you saying the alternator took a crap because I finally got a decent battery into the car?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Again, I have no idea how to check the charging voltage. Are you saying the alternator took a crap because I finally got a decent battery into the car?

Connect a multimeter to the battery posts and note DC voltage.

Start engine.

If voltage goes up the alternator is fine. If the battery voltage stays the same, alternator is not working.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Or the alternator has been slowly going bad and your batteries keep 'dieing' because they are losing charge. You can buy a multimeter for about $15 for a cheap one. Auto stores will have them as well as Amazon. They might have one you can use for free at Autozone or somewhere similar.

·
Administrator
10,690 Posts
It is also possible that the alternator has been your problem all along, the batteries were good but it was killing them.

When you check the voltage read the actual value. Alternators can fail two ways, one is not enough voltage, the other is too much. You want to see approximately 14.2 volts while the engine is running.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
'07 Base - Lil' Red Devil and ‘07 GXP - unnamed
137 Posts
Or....take the car by any auto parts store that has a good battery tester. They can test both the battery and the charging system and give you a print out of the results. This is 99% of the time a free service as they want to sell you a battery or alternator. I've always had good results with Advance Auto Parts.

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It is also possible that the alternator has been your problem all along, the batteries were good but it was killing them.

When you check the voltage read the actual value. Alternators can fail two ways, one is not enough voltage, the other is too much. You want to see approximately 14.2 volts while the engine is running.
If that's the case, why did I not get the idiot light until now?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Volts don't go up when engine is on. In fact, they dropped at little.
That right there is your culprit as I suggested earlier. Surprised it didn't throw a code or something. Seems like it should have.
Maybe you have witnessed the death of an alt. It was cutting out and spiking for a while (which might have caused battery damage) then finally gave out. The light you mentioned above might be the first light to appear in that process, when its charging capacity was completely lost.

·
Premium Member
17,886 Posts
21 - 35 of 35 Posts