Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I heard it was two for one Thursday, so here goes:

1. Would it make any financial or practical sense whatsoever to put a 2.0 engine into a 2.4. You can buy a remanufactured engine for $3000. But, what would the labor cost? Ballpark. And what else would be involved, other than the engine swap?

2. What else, besides a GXP bumper cover would you need to install on a 2.4 to give the front a GXP look? For instance, the trim (honeycomb) around the headlights is different....On the surface, this job looks fairly simple and straightforward. So, is it just a cost issue?

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
1) I think it's a bunch more than just the engine. Computer, wiring harnesses, sensors, all the intake plumbing (intercooler, etc), turbo stuff, exhaust all come to mind...

2) I think it's just he bumper and the grills. If you want slightly more than just cosmetic, then there's the brake ducts from near the foglights to the fender well (and you could either cut holes in the existing fender wells or get new ones) but that's optional.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) I think it's a bunch more than just the engine. Computer, wiring harnesses, sensors, all the intake plumbing (intercooler, etc), turbo stuff, exhaust all come to mind...
So, would it be impractical, too expensive?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think KappaKadet pretty much answered the global question #1 unequivocally.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Not to mention the fuel system...

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
1. Practically wise it would make more sense to supercharge the 2.4
2. Understand the energy absorber must be slightly trimmed or replaced w/GXP one, plus plastic reinforcement shield piece to reinforce center of GXP fascia, plus a couple small brackets. GXP bumper also has the lower honeycomb intercooler bezel.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If you want GXP power, install a supercharger or turbo kit. There are good ones available for our cars.

As for engine swaps go, it would only make sense to drop in a V8 and there are good shops for this work too.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, guys. Everyone agrees. #1 is a bad idea.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
There is one more option. Wait and buy a well maintained, low-milage GXP or Redline (even ones w/V8 transplants) because values will continue to drop. Of course that only makes sense it you think you'll still be into Kappa's. There will also be a whole lotta later model Camaro's, Mustangs, Vettes, and imports to choose from, not to mention the next generations of the supposedly smaller & lighter Mustang and Camaro.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
There is one more option. Wait and buy a well maintained, low-milage GXP or Redline (even ones w/V8 transplants) because values will continue to drop. Of course that only makes sense it you think you'll still be into Kappa's. There will also be a whole lotta later model Camaro's, Mustangs, Vettes, and imports to choose from, not to mention the next generations of the supposedly smaller & lighter Mustang and Camaro.
Did you look at his signature?

baltimoron said:
Ron
2009 GXP Coupe Auto Y000044 Triple black Purchased 5/09/13 Stock w/ Custom GM soft top

2008 2.4 Man. Aggressive/Black/Black Purchased 4/22/13 No mods. Previous rides starting with most recent: 66 GTO, 09 Solstice, 06 GTO, 89 Miata, 66 GTO (My first car 12/65)

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
yeah, if I was going to do an engine swap, I'd go for the V8. Money wise, I'd get the turbo kit or the SC kit then change bumpers and exhaust and you'd be pretty close. for that, you could trade it in on a GXP and your 3k would balance out the difference. I had 4 k in hand and was going to buy the turbo kit and decided to buy an AK, an ounce of gold, 20 oz of silver, some beer and am looking for a GXP in my area.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you look at his signature?
Finances are dictating I consider selling the coupe. In which case, I want a GXP. I am waiting day by day to see if my company gets the government contract back, in which case I would get my job back. A third option is to just sell both Solstices.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I had 4 k in hand and was going to buy the turbo kit and decided to buy an AK, an ounce of gold, 20 oz of silver, some beer and am looking for a GXP in my area.
Wow, I'm impressed. Great choices, all. Diversified your "portfolio", huh. You're kind of like E.F. Hutton. From now on, when you speak, I'm going to listen. :thumbs:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts