Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now here's a geeky question: what type of OBD does the Solstice have? Is it CAN or VPW. Maybe something else?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stands for On-Board Diagnostics. It's how you can read the information in the car's computer. If you want to know what's really going on under the hood, ask the computer.

·
4,592 Posts
cadillacricket said:
I know this sounds stupid, but what is an OBD?
On-Board Diagnostic System

I cheated, didn't know either, but used some magic... google, hehehe :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Its the ECU to PC interface to quadrivent the circumspect. ;)

No, it is the protocal for communication for diagnosis and repair of the ECU and 96 and GM generally are OBD II which is VPW, and I learned all this in the last 2 minutes.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
achieftain said:
Its the ECU to PC interface to quadrivent the circumspect. ;)
:lol: That reminds me of a scene in an old Bogart movie, but I can't recall the name. It was about fifth columnists and it was a mixture of drama and comedy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yay, I can finally post because I know something!

The 2005 GM cars with Ecotec are using CAN compliant OBD II, I would assume the Sol will be compliant as well. It is important to note most cars support multiple interfaces, so those VPW scan tools will probably still work with the Sol. By 2008, all cars must have CAN compliant diagnostic ports. In case the alphabet soup isn't getting to you yet, CAN stands for Controller Area Network, VPW is Variable Pulse Width, both define how the diagnostic tool talks to the car's computer.

Check out this page for information on determining what interfaces a car supports. Maybe someone on the forum can take a picture of the OBD connector for us? BTW, I own the auterra scan tool and it rocks!

http://www.auterraweb.com/obdiipinout.html

Best Regards,

-Jimmy

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Editguy said:
:lol: That reminds me of a scene in an old Bogart movie, but I can't recall the name. It was about fifth columnists and it was a mixture of drama and comedy.
Cartoon in our local paper the other day had three infamous inventors with their names in the caption: Mr. Watchamacallit, Mr. Thingamabob, and a Mr. Doohickie. I still LOL thinking about it.

·
4,592 Posts
JimmyFknMood said:
Don't be so shy, some people here post mindlessly, not that I ever would :jester:

If you know that, you likely know a lot more good stuff. Welcome aboard!

·
4,592 Posts
Editguy said:
Hey, I resemble that remark!!!
What, and I don't :glol:

Where in good company!

Actually, it's a good thing to encourage the new kids on the block with these mindless posts.

I better say something related to this thread before a mod comes after me:

OK, what's "quadrivent the circumspect", do I need a dictionary to hang out here????

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
RODEO said:
OK, what's "quadrivent the circumspect", do I need a dictionary to hang out here????
Make four holes in an outer covering for no apparent reason. See Buick Portholes. :lol:

·
4,592 Posts
Editguy said:
Have you never seen a Buick? If you have, you've likely seen the portholes.
A Buick, come on man, I live in LA LA land, no Buicks allowed. :lol: J/K of course. But I still don't know what you mean....I'm off too google......

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yo jimmy!

Yo, Jimmy.....what does the fkn stand for? Remember this is a family show.............................

JimmyFknMood said:

The 2005 GM cars with Ecotec are using CAN compliant OBD II, I would assume the Sol will be compliant as well. It is important to note most cars support multiple interfaces, so those VPW scan tools will probably still work with the Sol. By 2008, all cars must have CAN compliant diagnostic ports. In case the alphabet soup isn't getting to you yet, CAN stands for Controller Area Network, VPW is Variable Pulse Width, both define how the diagnostic tool talks to the car's computer.

Check out this page for information on determining what interfaces a car supports. Maybe someone on the forum can take a picture of the OBD connector for us? BTW, I own the auterra scan tool and it rocks!

http://www.auterraweb.com/obdiipinout.html

Best Regards,

-Jimmy

·
4,592 Posts
heintz said:
On a (slightly) related note, does the Sol have electronic ignition? I have never seen any reference to the ignition system.
Anyone know this one?????

P.S. buick protholes

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.