Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was running low on gas and did something I never do. I stopped at a station I haven't used yet with my car. I put $20 in (about 5 gallons) of premium 93 octane. Or what the pump said was 93! Yesterday I noticed my car was “dragging” on the way to work. On the way home the problem seemed even worse. I couldn’t really tell how bad it was till I got off the freeway and Ghostly seemed to be idling pretty rough. So I did what I normally do to clean here out and revved it up for a moment. Normally my car “burps” because of the exhaust….but let me just say, not only were there burps, there were also backfires. All the way home she did this. All the way home any chance I could, I had to blip the gas to keep her clean…and everytime it was obnoxious. Actually she really sounded kind of cool…. But I knew she had an upset tummy… :( So luckily I had less then a ½ tank, so I went to my normal station and topped it off with their premium. The issue seems to have been fixed. Just a quick reminder of how sensitive your GXP can be, especially if it’s tuned!

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Sorry you had the issue. It’s rare but not unheard to happen. Do you use the fuel tank additive that protects the in tank hardware from contamination and corrosion? There is a lot of discussion about problems resulting from the use of currently available fuel.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of additive do you recommend? SeaFoam?

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
There is a GM fuel additive that coats the in tank hardware to prevent corrosion problems. The recommendation is to use it every six months. In about 08 people were beginning to have issues with accuracy and responsiveness of the fuel gauge and this lead to a lengthy discussion about corrosion and the recommended additive.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Sorry you had the issue. It’s rare but not unheard to happen. Do you use the fuel tank additive that protects the in tank hardware from contamination and corrosion? There is a lot of discussion about problems resulting from the use of currently available fuel.
Chevron Techron additive appears to be the same thing - certainly the GM stuff is made by Chevron (see US MSDS: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/attachments/88861011MSDS.PDF, and Canada MSDS: http://apkgroup.com/msds/English/AC Delco (D10)/88861012 (07-02-2009).pdf). Difference is Chevron is cheaper and more readily available.

The TSB says to use a bottle every oil change anyway, to keep the fuel gauge sender clean (http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/05-00-89-078a.pdf)

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. the other day I got in the GXP and knew I had just over 1/4 tank but the gauge was on about E and the light came on. I thought, someone took her for a joy ride the night before and decided to put 10 bucks in. Once I started the car, I noticed now I had a half a tank. had to make a few trips and ran it back down to a quarter again and the next time I got in, it pulled the I'm empty crap. I stopped and got a beer, not gas this time and when I got in I had the 1/4 tank I I should have. does it sound like it's time to buy the aditive?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. the other day I got in the GXP and knew I had just over 1/4 tank but the gauge was on about E and the light came on. I thought, someone took her for a joy ride the night before and decided to put 10 bucks in. Once I started the car, I noticed now I had a half a tank. had to make a few trips and ran it back down to a quarter again and the next time I got in, it pulled the I'm empty crap. I stopped and got a beer, not gas this time and when I got in I had the 1/4 tank I I should have. does it sound like it's time to buy the aditive?
Or time to buy another beer!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
That's my problem I think. I have 2 good gas stations I use and neither are on my daily route. So, if I put it off all week I end up having to get $10 bucks or so at the Valero or worse the corner grocery. I'll try to start filling up on the weekend and I can probably make it 2 weeks then. maybe more.

·
Registered
612 Posts
There is a GM fuel additive that coats the in tank hardware to prevent corrosion problems. The recommendation is to use it every six months. In about 08 people were beginning to have issues with accuracy and responsiveness of the fuel gauge and this lead to a lengthy discussion about corrosion and the recommended additive.
I concur, I too put in some crap gas and it caused my float or sensor (something) to stick. I filled it up and added the AC Delco additive ran about half the tank and everything worked again. I now keep a few bottles of the Chevron equivalent in the garage and will use one every other month to keep things running smooth. Here's a link.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I'm working on cars this weekend and I get all my stuff from Autozone. I'm on the rewards program and I get a point for every $20 purchase. If I need a lot of stuff, I go in the morning and again in the afternoon. after 5 points you get a $20 credit. I have 4 points now and need about $60 worth of stuff. if I do it right, it will only cost me $40 for everything. Plus, I have a $37 credit for an exchange I made. long story short, I'm going to buy the Chevron stuff as accorfing to Mr. Soup, it's the same. Think I'll get a few and put some in the 06 too.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
, I'm going to buy the Chevron stuff as accorfing to Mr. Soup, it's the same.
To be clear, Mr. Soup said it "appears to be the same" :)

I make no warranty regarding the accuracy or completeness of any information. I am not liable for any financial or legal advice. Use of this material is, at all times, "at your own risk." If you are dissatisfied with any aspect of this post, any of these terms and conditions or any other policies, your only remedy is to discontinue the use of the website. In no event shall I, the website, or its suppliers, be liable to any user or third party, for any damages whatsoever resulting from the use of the material in this post, whether based on warranty, contract, tort, or any other legal theory, and whether or not the poster is advised of the possibility of such damages.
I am not to be liable for direct, indirect or consequential damages or for any loss of revenue, profits or data arising in connection with using this site or material, including, but not limited to, medical, physical and psychological effects. The information contained within this post is provided 'as-is', without warranties as to its accuracy whether expressed or implied and is intended for educational purposes only.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm working on cars this weekend and I get all my stuff from Autozone. I'm on the rewards program and I get a point for every $20 purchase. If I need a lot of stuff, I go in the morning and again in the afternoon. after 5 points you get a $20 credit. I have 4 points now and need about $60 worth of stuff. if I do it right, it will only cost me $40 for everything. Plus, I have a $37 credit for an exchange I made. long story short, I'm going to buy the Chevron stuff as accorfing to Mr. Soup, it's the same. Think I'll get a few and put some in the 06 too.
I bought a 6 pack at Costco for about $18. I think each bottle treats 18 to 20 gallons.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
anybody got a link or a picture of the Chevron product ?
I see multiple things on amazon...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was pumping gas other day and realized 5 gallons in I was pumping 89 oct. I stopped and topped it off with 93 oct 8 more gallons . No problems as of yet, PAY ATTENTION!! Good grief.....

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
IME, in city driving the sol gas gauge shows full for a long time, moves to half quickly, and drops from 1/4 to low on fuel very very quickly. It just isn't overly accurate in those ranges, probably due to the slosh compensation. Very consistently this way too. I'd suggest to just be aware of it and not sweat it. No need for additives for that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts