98 Posts
Discussion Starter #81

·
Premium Member
758 Posts

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
glad to hear it was just a gasket. As for the camshaft actuators, If they have never been removed, that debris could have been there since the engine was new. wouldn't worry too much about that.

Bill.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I mean, I am assuming it's the gasket. I don't know what a blown gasket looks exactly like but it looks pretty bad. Still could be block but I feel much more confident in it being that pump seal.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Saturday is the big "Put it all back together" day! Wish me luck!

I got a Gates water pump, a felpro gasket set, some white lithium grease, new plugs, new cam actuators. All ready to go in.

Quick question: Is there anyway to replace the sprocket without taking the timing cover off?

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Saturday is the big "Put it all back together" day! Wish me luck!

I got a Gates water pump, a felpro gasket set, some white lithium grease, new plugs, new cam actuators. All ready to go in.

Quick question: Is there anyway to replace the sprocket without taking the timing cover off?
No, If you remove the sprocket, you risk the very real danger of getting the chain out of time and you won't know it till you start the engine. that could be a disaster with an interference engine. Good thing is that the sprocket is easily inspected when you remove the sprocket cover. If the sprocket and its mounting face are loose on the water pump shaft, it won't matter because you are replacing that anyway. Its all part of the new pump. Only thing you need to look for are worn or missing teeth on the sprocket and I doubt seriously you will find any.

Bill.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Getting the chain out of time isn’t a risk if you remove the sprocket. It’s a certainty. For the balance chain that drives the water pump, the sprocket - and pump or holding tool - holds the chain up. It is not necessary to replace the sprocket and not possible to do so without resetting the balance chain tensioner.

Also, the water pump doesn’t use gaskets. It uses o-rings. These typically come with the pump. (At least, all of the Delco pumps I’ve purchased have.)

Getting the balance chain off won't crater the engine. The cam timing chain is separate, so you won't run the risk of having valves hit pistons. However, the engine will run VERY rough and the water pump won’t work properly, and you'll be basically back where you started.

(If that’s not clear: there are two chains.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Getting the chain out of time isn’t a risk if you remove the sprocket. It’s a certainty. For the balance chain that drives the water pump, the sprocket - and pump or holding tool - holds the chain up. It is not necessary to replace the sprocket and not possible to do so without resetting the balance chain tensioner.

Also, the water pump doesn’t use gaskets. It uses o-rings. These typically come with the pump. (At least, all of the Delco pumps I’ve purchased have.)

Getting the balance chain off won't crater the engine. The cam timing chain is separate, so you won't run the risk of having valves hit pistons. However, the engine will run VERY rough and the water pump won’t work properly, and you'll be basically back where you started.

(If that’s not clear: there are two chains.)
The sprocket isn't great but it's workable. I guess when I upgrade the intercooler, I'll tear the timing cover off and replace the sprocket and maybe just do the entire toming chain while I'm at it.

Water pump is installed, I'm about 70% done. Just praying to god that it doesn't leak. For all those who come after me, make it easy on yourself and just remove the turbo. Also, lithium grease make it super easy to install that inlet pipe. I just wish it was that easy to remove it, lol.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Those are carbon bits you have on your cam solenoids. I had the same thing...but mine was twice as bad because I let my car idle all winter every 2 weeks to keep the battery charged.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
No leaks anymore, but still overheating w/ no inside heat. I used the vacuum filler but I can absolutely tell there is still air trapped. This is so aggravating.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
No leaks anymore, but still overheating w/ no inside heat. I used the vacuum filler but I can absolutely tell there is still air trapped. This is so aggravating.
sometimes it's just a matter of patience. I have in some instances had to let the car heat up, cool down, milk the radiator hoses, heat up again and repeat the process several times to finally get the air out. Check the reservoir level each time. If it begins to drop, the air is coming out. Don't let the reservoir get empty or you will suck the air right back into the system.

Bill

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
A number of members have mentioned the check valve additions and TSB; have you confirmed using them yet @laser411? I'd add them if I was going to work on the GXP cooling system myself. I don't do that but I had them put in at the dealer as per the TSB. I hope this gets figured out soon for you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
A number of members have mentioned the check valve additions and TSB; have you confirmed using them yet @laser411? I'd add them if I was going to work on the GXP cooling system myself. I don't do that but I had them put in at the dealer as per the TSB. I hope this gets figured out soon for you.
I have not, yet, as i thought the vac and fill would work. I did order them yesterday.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
...i thought the vac and fill would work.
One would think. But, alas, such is not always the case. The check valves are very easy to install (just don't put them in facing the wrong direction!). I assume the system holds a vacuum?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
...i thought the vac and fill would work.
One would think. But, alas, such is not always the case. The check valves are very easy to install (just don't put them in facing the wrong direction!). I assume the system holds a vacuum?
Yes, flattens the hoses and doesn't leake vacuum.

Doesn't seem to leak wgile hot either, though I definitely have less coolant than after the vac and fill. There's for sure, no coolant in the oil and there's no smoke coming out of the exhaust at all. So maybe it's burping itself but shouldn't the vac also pull pressure on the thermostat side as well?

81 - 100 of 149 Posts