Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this happened:

What to do? It looks like the metal was previously covered with rubber but it's all worn off now. I blame coronavirus.

I have a sewing kit and patch, but I'm concerned that it won't hold since that metal piece extrudes. I was thinking of wrapping it in heavy duty tape or something.

Fortunately, no leaks, even after some severe rain.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Ugh. Never seen THAT one before. I think you'll need to get a new top, cause something's gone way wrong with the internals of yours.

Contact @Hoosier GXP, he usually has spare (used) ones lying around that he'll sell you.

Also I see yours is worn at the fold 'corners'. See and follow this before you get your new top: Mod: Simple 'No-roof-wear-from-trunk-liner' fix

·
Registered
413 Posts
You can purchase a brand new canvas and have it put in. After they remove the old canvas, the shop can fix your frame and put the new canvas on. The Saturn Sky replacement top came standard with the acoustic headliner.

Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice Convertible Top

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Looks like it's worn and torn where the rubber wear strip is on the back that we all lubricate frequently with dielectric grease. There is a plastic piece on the end of the metal arm that rubs against that rubber when the top is raised. Rob the Elder was selling a replacement part to replace that plastic tip if it was broken or worn and that may well be what you need.

Contact Rob and see if he has any left and if you don't mind looking at a patched hole in your top you may well get away with leaving it alone after the repair. Here is the thread Rob started some time ago regarding this.

Look at the other side of the car in the same spot and you should see what I mean.

If it's a bit of a garage queen I'd replace the top but if as you said that it doesn't leak in a heavy rain and it's a daily driver, I'd just patch it and go.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that we all lubricate frequently with dielectric grease
Except me apparently :( Hasn't been an issue for 10 years or so.

Hopefully I can get that part then patch it up, the best configuration is with the top down anyway.

·
Super Moderator
16,340 Posts
we have a large supply. Basically a crate full. I am happy to share them with anyone who needs one at cost.

At the Nationals when we did our 50 item checklist for people, we found a lot of cars where the tabs were loose and the seal on the bottom of the top dry. This will end up in loss of the tab and damage to the top. We found a few tops that had started to fray slightly on the underside and one where there was no underside. It was all gone. Only the top layer of canvas was left.

If the screws are gone let me know and I will include some that we found to work well. Small black screws that are a replacement for the missing factory screws are kind of difficult to find.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Except me apparently :( Hasn't been an issue for 10 years or so.
Not that you were aware of anyway, it's probably been wearing for a while unbeknownst to you. Glad though that Rob has the parts as you wouldn't likely find them otherwise.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, I checked the other side and it's worn.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Well this is all news to me. I went to check mine and found the bottom piece of canvas ripped on both sides. The topside is perfect. I'm still not clear on what is supposed to be there. Do I just need the plastic tip to prevent further damage or am I missing something else as well?

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
The area originally had a metal tab with a piece of rubber molded over it. The rubber wears or tears off, leaving the metal to gouge away at the fabric. The plastic replacement tab is more slippery, but you should keep that area lubricated anyway. PM Rob the Elder for more info!

·
Super Moderator
16,340 Posts
The tab in your picture shows damage due to lack of lubrication over many years. I will ship you a new set, but you need to get the canvas repaired. It should have a layer of canvas with a rubber seal on the bottom. The rubber seal does two things. first it provides a weather seal between the canvas top and the side seal over the window glass. second is it protects the fabric from wear as it cycles over the plastic tab during articulation. This upper rubber seal is what needs to be kept lubricated. /the damage to the fabric is classic.

Recommend that you take it to a good shop top and have them sew in a patch on the bottom of each side of the canvas and add a strip of rubber to protect the canvas. Look at a "good" top and you will see exactly what you need.

It could be worse. There is a metal tab embedded in the rubber beneath the plastic tab that can become exposed and really cut the crap out of the top.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The area originally had a metal tab with a piece of rubber molded over it. The rubber wears or tears off, leaving the metal to gouge away at the fabric. The plastic replacement tab is more slippery, but you should keep that area lubricated anyway. PM Rob the Elder for more info!
As a point of reference: What does a "good" metal tab look like?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I installed the new tabs but...this doesn't look right does it? On both sides it's not getting enough clearance to close. Is something out of alignment? I could only get it to clear if I tried my hardest and pushed the piece down to get under that thing it was rubbing against (looked like some sort of tension wheel).

The same thing happened to the old metal piece:

Ignore the ripped fabric, even with all that out of the way it would not close. Without the tabs it closes fine.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I'm a little late to the party here but if you look at my second picture in my post about lubing the top, the plastic tab does not extend past the seam. The screw hole in yours is either closer to the front of the car or something else is not where it should be,
Perhaps if you were to file the metal tab and the plastic cover to shorten it a bit?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts