Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Solstice

Hi to all in the forum. I am new to your site as of yesterday. I just bought a 2006 Solstice convertible that was imported earlier this year from Florida. Does anyone know or have knowledge of any other Solstice's in the UK or have I got the only one?
Once I get to use it more there may be a few more questions and I could need your help. Its black and has 9800 miles on the clock and is in very good condition. A fantastic looking car!
thanks
Steve
There are others I have had mine since 2010 imported from Texas by a well known Oil company for testing .They had 3 others as well
All 2.0 GXP very quick.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I took my Saturn Sky to the UK for a holiday two years ago and received an unbelievable amount of attention. Maybe the British are less shy about coming up to chat with strangers than most people here, but I did not park it once during the week long trip without someone coming up to talk to me about the car.

Plan extra time into your trips so you will have enough time to talk to curious people!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I am looking to ship a Solstice from South Florida to the UK. I have a few questions.... I understand that state sales tax applies to used vehicles in Florida, but does this apply to private sales? Also what tax implicationa are there in the uk (presumably vat and/or import duty). Also need some guidance on getting the motor through an sva test so it is legal on uk roads.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Not sure about Florida, but here in Maryland you pay the tax when you register the car (get license plates). So if you don't register it, i.e. you ship it directly, then no tax.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Another Solstice in UK

My 2007 Solstice just arrived from Canada (Sept 2017). Amazing 55,000km full service history, fully-optioned car. Really enjoying it. So unique here. Great looking and draws stares wherever I go.

Being (just) over 10 years old, I could avoid the rigorous IVA test. As it's a Canadian car, it already has a front licence plate holder.

Would be interested in hearing from other Solstice owners in UK and possible arrange a get together. I'm in Leicestershire area.

Regards

Andrew

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone,

There have been 30 or so Solstices brought into the UK over the years, some brought over by US Military Personnel and shipped home again. Probably around ten over here currently, most have been exported.

Saturn Skys are rarer still, less than a dozen brought over and four on the road. Very few people in the UK have even heard of the Saturn brand.

Considering over 7,000 made it to mainland Europe, Opel GTs are strangely the rarest of all in the UK, less than ten imported and only a couple in use.

Cheers,

MBS

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice
16 Posts
Hi everyone,

There have been 30 or so Solstices brought into the UK over the years, some brought over by US Military Personnel and shipped home again. Probably around ten over here currently, most have been exported.

Saturn Skys are rarer still, less than a dozen brought over and four on the road. Very few people in the UK have even heard of the Saturn brand.

Considering over 7,000 made it to mainland Europe, Opel GTs are strangely the rarest of all in the UK, less than ten imported and only a couple in use.

Cheers,

MBS
Sorry to resurrect an old post but MisterBlueSky, is there anyway of confirming exactly how many are now over here in the UK? :)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Mister Blue Sky is keeping the UK list up to date, but like any country it difficult to compile an exact list. His list has lots of interesting info. Will not steal his thunder though.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
See post from UKSolsticeGal

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
If you require a front plate, the best you can do is mount it lower down like this:

If that isn't good enough, there are motorized units that can retract the plate underneath the car (not cheap) but that may also be illegal where you are.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts