Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my Ultra Gauge a week ago. No problems hooking it up and assigning some gauges, so the next step was to apply for the $9 rebate. I don't know if anyone else has experienced the refund hassle, but for me it was a huge pain in the rear end. I just about gave up several times and said screw it. I am thinking they made the process so difficult that a lot of people would throw in the towel. Once you have studied the material, taken the test, filled out forms with info I didn't know existed, signed your life away, they recommend you e-mail them the documents. You can mail them in, but there is a deadline, and for time is running out. So stubborn me, I paid $5 to have the documents scanned so I can e-mail them and collect my refund which is after expenses, now $4.

That's my rant for today, I feel better already.

Don

·
Registered
330 Posts
Wow, I didn't even want to read the $9 reward section of their site. That Mx model looks tempting since they claim it does support some of the manf. specific PIDs. Thinly killer is the blue. Doesn't match any of the interior of the car...

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Not sure I even bothered to do the rebate, but certainly don't remember the hassles you had.

As for the color, it is a bluey-white. This is mine on my custom mount:

(more on the mount at: Custom Ultragauge mount)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also gave up on the rebate. It was way too
difficult and cofusing to follow the instructiones.
I don't have a DIC in my NA so it really comes in handy
and gives me all the information I need.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
So was the 4 dollar headache worth it ? Don't mean to laugh because I have found myself in similar situations and now I get to a point where I realize what my time and aggravation is worth .

·
Registered
330 Posts
So was the 4 dollar headache worth it ? Don't mean to laugh because I have found myself in similar situations and now I get to a point where I realize what my time and aggravation is worth .
It's worth it on principle :p Ultra gauge prob thought they could trick people with the rebate and if they make it hard enough, no one would do it. Saves them money in the end.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Is it worth it to buy one if I am going with the DDM A-piller and gauges?

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
It's worth it on principle :p Ultra gauge prob thought they could trick people with the rebate and if they make it hard enough, no one would do it. Saves them money in the end.
Most companies do this! I had a rebate on a Sony computer that was comical. Twice they "lost" my mail-in coupon, then they said it was put in the wrong "pile" and after that, it was too late, the application period had ended. Finally talked to a "supervisor" on the phone and said "Obviously you're just the processing center, so you probably get to keep a portion of whatever doesn't get paid out. Can I use your name when I report to Sony what you're doing to tarnish their reputation?"

They mailed the check that day.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Is it worth it to buy one if I am going with the DDM A-piller and gauges?
I have a DDM pillar pod with an oil pressure and water temp gauges I'm also in the process of adding a boost gauge on a separate pod I like the fact that I can see what my engine is doing and not have to switch screens to get the info I need especially when I'm driving .That being said I have been looking at some type of similar gauge set up originally Dashhawk and now this one especially for the price just to add the additional information that it provides , plus I like the fact that it is compact and looks easy to read so I guess it all boils down to personal tastes .For the record I have over $400.00 in my current set up my gauges AutoMeter Pro Comp 's are a close match to the cars gauges you could probably find them a little cheaper so I guess this is something to take into consideration.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
I took a look at AutoMeter and the ES series seems to have the look of the internal GXP gauges. What do you think? Maybe boost and oil pressure (electrical) plus an ultra gauge for everything else. Would be nice to have water temp and oil pressure in a single analog looking gauge.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the Ultra Gauge is worth it even without the $9 rebate. I also believe they purposely made the rebate procedure as difficult and complex as possible so that most people would simply give up. Which is why I persevered. It is not about the money, it is the principle of the thing. I did investigate the other options, such as gauge pods on the "A" pillar, but I like the ease of installing the Ultra Gauge and the fact it will do so much more than just give me oil pressure and engine temp and the price was right.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
I have an oil pressure gauge which can be installed in two places one at the back of the engine in the oil filter area to the left or the optimum below the exhaust manifold they are a series of allen head plugs , for my turbo installation I used the plug closest to the firewall for my oil feed and the next plug to run my oil pressure gauge line you can use the one on the back of the engine but it is not as accurate for oil pressure readings . Again I'm using actual gauges for oil pressure ,water temperature ,and boost .As far as the sensor goes the cars do not have one just an on /off oil pressure switch which from what I understand is a b*tch to get at .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts