Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Pontiac and Lutz made a car under 20K as promise, but at what sacrifice?

AC $1000 option
ABS $400 option
Power windows Option
Rag top with NO pad or sound insulation

I like the car, more than like it lov the look, but am anxious to see the car in person to see what else may have been short changed......

Mini Cooper S Owner

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Your right, the conveinence options many people expect standard on cars are optional on this one to cut its price back.

However, cost cutting wasn't the only reason GM did that. They were intent on making a "back to basics roadster" (words of Bob Lutz) that didn't have all the pricey, heavy convenience frills of higher end cars. It helps keep the weight down, and places the focus of the car on the driving experience.

Even fully loading up the Solstice, it comes in at about $25K, which is still a bargain for a purpose built roadster. GM put the money where it counted, a purpose designed, stout frame, an expensive, all aluminum control arm suspension, etc.

·
5,641 Posts
gt1948 said:
Well Pontiac and Lutz made a car under 20K as promise, but at what sacrifice?

AC $1000 option
ABS $400 option
Power windows Option
Rag top with NO pad or sound insulation

I like the car, more than like it lov the look, but am anxious to see the car in person to see what else may have been short changed......

Mini Cooper S Owner
Certainly great points. Another one you missed was cutting the normal dealer markup. Power Windows are an option on all Pontiacs starting under $20,000 (Sunfire & Vibe). ABS is an option on Sunfire, Vibe FWD, G6 6 CYl, Grand Prix for example. So the equipment level is in line with GM standards.

But the real point is, were people short changed? For example a Cooper convertible appears to have as standard equipment the first three items on your list (and therefore I would assume the fourth also). But it has a base price of $2,000 more. It does come with a power top but it has a 115hp engine. All things being equal, I think the Solstice is competatively priced and equiped from my early look at the market.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I picked most of the options for my Sol except for the radio upgrades and my car is under $24K. I looked at a new Miata with similar equipment and the price was over $27K. GM hit the mark with the Sol. There was nothing on the new Miata that I thought justified the $3K difference. I currently drive a 2000 Miata and I think I will be moving up in convenience and comfort with my Sol over my Miata.

·
Registered
352 Posts
24 grand for a fully loaded Solstice is just about what I figured.

Thanks for the info..(except radio bs which I agree)

I'd bet another 4 grand for a supercharger the second year?

Sound about right?

Can't beat either one of these with a stick.

Solstice is a great choice.

·
497 Posts
I’m really satisfied with the base model and options list but I do wish the top was lined. I suspect future models will add more options and a higher trim level. But as mentioned, $24K for a loaded model is pretty impressive.

My only real concern about the Solstice is the lack of storage space. Hopefully this will be an area of focus in future models.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'll agree, that yes the car reaches $25,000 fully loaded, putting it very close to it's competition. However it's all about choice. You can't go to a Mazda dealership and get a stripped Miata that you can afford if the normal one is out of your range. This lets people who would never be able afford a $25,000 car, get one still for only $20,000. If you've got the money though you can get the ammenities that would cause the base to be mor expensive if they were stock.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I agree with brentil. You can certainly buy the 19995 version and be extremely happy. True sports cars used to be all like this, but even then radios were an option because with loud engines who could hear it anyway.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
:agree: I hate the idea of manufacturers telling me what options I want. The choice should be mine. Making all those things standard and then charging me for it without asking doesn't make a car "high end". If I want A/C and power options, I get them ... but if I want a weekend racer, I can save the money and the weight and get exactly what I want. It's all about choice. Sure, you probably won't see many of the cars ordered at the $20k configuration, but at least it's available for those who want it. Even loaded, the car comes in at a very competetive price.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I knew we wouldn't get into a Solstice the way we wanted it under 20k but as with most cars they make everything standard and price many people out of the car. Look at the GTO you get all or nothing. I like to pick my own options and I got AC, limited slip, convenience group and premium package. I didn't get ABS as my car will only be on the road in the summer and don't think they are a must. I did not get power windows or locks. I can roll my windows up myself and kind of like to stick to the true roadster theme. I got the base stero, it has FM and DVD so that is good enough for me. I don't need to share my music with other drivers.

The one thing I wish they would have done is allowed two leather packages. One as it is and the other that gave you leather wheel and shift knob along with the steering wheel controls. That would allow you to choose cloth seats and sill get the steering wheel controls.

My car may be a rare one some day because I bet most people get the power windows.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I like the way the Solstice is being offered. If I were younger, I'd get the base model and strip out the interior, heater, radio, and any other usless stuff and go racing. But, being over 50 and very aware of the ammenities in life that make one's day easier; I'm getting about everything but the XM radio. I'm really glad that GM lets the buyer option the vehicle out the way the owner wants it, not the way the factory wants to build it.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
DCLocal said:
I’m really satisfied with the base model and options list but I do wish the top was lined. I suspect future models will add more options and a higher trim level. But as mentioned, $24K for a loaded model is pretty impressive.

My only real concern about the Solstice is the lack of storage space. Hopefully this will be an area of focus in future models.
Having a non-lined top really isn't that bad. As I see it, there are two concerns with a convertable top that is lined or unlined. Climate control of the interior, and noise insulation from the exterior.

I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler as a daily driver, and also have both the fiberglass hardtop and canvas softtop for it. Neither are lined. As far as climate control is concerned, the HVAC system in it is fully capable of keeping it toasty warm in the winter, and nice and cool in the summer. As long as the Solstice has a decent HVAC system, climate control will be a non-issue.

Noise insulation is another fator. The canvas top for my Jeep (triple ply canvas) does a decent job with wind noise, but noise from wind and other traffic is certainly louder than it is in a convertable with an insulated top. Still, it is generally unobtrusive, and only becomes really noisey on the highway when it is rather windy out, and even then the noise is more a product of the Jeeps brick-like shape than the top itself.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i spent 25k on my aler with the base is about 15k i got the works. in my sol i will be in the middle around 22-23k there is not to many cars that look cool that i want to buy or are in the price range of what i want to spend. i mean if i dident get this i would eather go for a rx8 or a mini. most other cars are just bla inless they get in the 30k+ audi tt lexus convertible rosterand a few others.

·
Registered
184 Posts
All thing considered

When I show most of my co-workers a picture of this car they cannot believe it is less than $40k. Much less than $30k

I assume that the base price will not stay this low for very many years.

I bought my first Honda Accord for $5,860 (which was only $100 below list price) when they first arrived in Kansas years ago. One year later, the used blue book was still $5,860

I'll bet most of us will be able to drive the Solstice for a year, and sell it to a private party for what we will have paid.

As long as GM keeps this car in short supply, our resale will be just fine.

Gregodav

·
Registered
137 Posts
Pontiac hit this nail square on the head! Low entry price, incredibly unique AND beautiful styling, perfect balance, all-new technology both under the hood and in the frame/suspension components and limiting the production.

This all spells SUCCESS for Pontiac and a great investment for all of us. I have owned all GM vehicles including (3) Pontiacs and (2) Corvettes but I must say that I am most excited about owning a Sol and believe that it will be among my best if not the best single car purchase I have ever made.

C'mon 4th Quarter!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I believe that Pontiac has every intention of promoting and encouraging the use of this car for racing. IMO that is part of the reason why there is such a stripped base model. Amature racers on a budget really don't want to have to pay for equipment they are just going to rip out. While I'm sure very few Solstices will leave the lot in base form, and the average price will be more like 22k to 23k, the option is there for racing enthusiasts and for those that really want to drive car that looks like 40k but only want to pay 20k.

·
Registered
85 Posts
All indications are that Pontiac wants a long term survival -- so performance parts will be available almost immediately and there will be Pontiac sponsorship on racing - specifically against the Miata. My hope - those winglet points are also the attachment point for the hardtop - or even better --- the coupe. Make mine with a supercharger.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
AeroDave said:
I believe that Pontiac has every intention of promoting and encouraging the use of this car for racing. IMO that is part of the reason why there is such a stripped base model. Amature racers on a budget really don't want to have to pay for equipment they are just going to rip out. While I'm sure very few Solstices will leave the lot in base form, and the average price will be more like 22k to 23k, the option is there for racing enthusiasts and for those that really want to drive car that looks like 40k but only want to pay 20k.
That's what I would have said... :agree:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts