Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my copy of the October issue of Road & Track and to be honest with you I feel article and front cover were below par. For starters, I feel the front cover made the Sol look cheap and did not provide a well rounded view of the vehicle and its attractive lines. The cover in my opinion I feel should be the most appealing of all the pictures and grab the readers attention. My second question is why red? Im 21 and when I see a red convertible I think of a guy going through a midlife crisis. Why wouldnt GM or Road & Track pick a different color that would set the Sol apart from the same red Miata later in the issue? I mean why not Deep or Sly, I would have even taken Ebony. Last but not least the Miata article provided a more in depth look at the vehicle and it seemed as if the writer was passionate about the MX5. The Sol article seemed as if it was just thrown together after a 25 minute test drive that any of us could have wrote. Overall I'm looking forward to future articles and photo shoots on the Sol, because I feel Road & Track dropped the ball big time! Does anyone agree or was I just expecting too much?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think you may have misunderstood the scope of the article as well as Road & Track's viewpoint on the car. While the article wasn't brilliant, the same magazine has the Solstice as a Car of the Year Finalist which will be voted on by all who choose to participate. (Hint - go buy the magazine or go online & vote if you have an opinion that you think should be heard).

I didn't take time to review all of R&D's Finalist, but I did see that the Mercedes CLS 500/55 was also a Finalist, which is pretty good company for the Solstice, in my opinion.

I can't wait to get my Solstice, but I have also test driven the CLS 55 and I am heavily debating whether or not to buy it along with my Solstice. Based on value for the price, affordability, & the fact that I bleed BLUE, I will likely vote for the Solstice, but I will admit the CLS 55 is absolutely beautiful - not practicle, but one of the most well rounded cars I have ever driven. If it were a Caddy, I would have already bought one - can't quite commit to buying a non GM vehicle even though they sold out my employee discounts to the rest of the world.

USA

·
Registered
535 Posts
Don't forget that these magazine writers still have a bias for oriental vehicles over domestics. Even though the domestics are much improved and just as reliable the slant is still there. If you look in the Oct. R&T issue you will find a small review on the Scion Xb. They absolutely love it despite the fact it is the ugliest thing on the road. Yet if GM would have built that they would say it is the ugliest car on the road. You really have to read these magazines with a grain of salt. I buy them for the pictures and statistical info and that is about it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I didnt get my October issue yet so iam not gonna comment on the Solstice article, but i can say that magazines, especially Motor Trend actually are biaesd towards American cars. They like them. Road &Track are the best car mag. They give honest opinions and evaluations. I believe it is you who is an American car fan, and it really hurts when you see someone pick apart and really point out the negatives in the cars that u like. I know how bad it feels when someone is talking negative about ure favorite car. I wanna cry :( , especially when they say how the 3 seriews is still King of sport sedans.
Lol, and that is where i agree with u. I believe theyre still under the stereotypical BMW image, and dont see how Audi is better overall. :willy:

·
Registered
278 Posts
was it really that bad, i thought it was well written and comparable to the one written on the MX-5. the miata article did get more detail, but the car does also have a better established following. that and it is an established roadster, where as the solstice has not yet proved it self to be what the miata is. given some time the solstice could be held with the same regard as the MX-5, or it could gain the same reputation as the fiero only time will tell. either way i will still own one along side my fiero.

·
Registered
535 Posts
ROCKETMAN said:
I didnt get my October issue yet so iam not gonna comment on the Solstice article, but i can say that magazines, especially Motor Trend actually are biaesd towards American cars. They like them. Road &Track are the best car mag. They give honest opinions and evaluations. I believe it is you who is an American car fan, and it really hurts when you see someone pick apart and really point out the negatives in the cars that u like. I know how bad it feels when someone is talking negative about ure favorite car. I wanna cry :( , especially when they say how the 3 seriews is still King of sport sedans.
Lol, and that is where i agree with u. I believe theyre still under the stereotypical BMW image, and dont see how Audi is better overall. :willy:
Statistical data is hard facts. Opinions are not and subject to personal tastes. They can give their honest opinion of what they think but it isn't always based on fact but more on their preferences. So I guess it is all relative to what a person wants. I don't get hurt when their opinion doesn't line up with mine but rather as I said "Take it with a grain of salt". Ultimately I know what is going to satisfy me better than they! Yes, I don't like being told what to like and not like! :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
ROCKETMAN said:
I love R&T. Now that that is out of the way, I hate R&T. Why? Because over the decades of my experience with them they have always been biased toward 1. Porsche, 2. Ferrari., 3. Anything not domestic. Count up the number of articles on P&F and they will outnumber the volume of cars produced (well, it seems like it) Can you name an issue that did not have an article or mention of a Porsche or Ferrari? And when have ANY of the mags given due diligence to the qualities and performance of American sports sedans. It is always BMW and Lexus, BMW and Lexus, BMW and ...welll you get my point. Even the head-to-head in C&D this month has BMW and okay, Infinity taking on "all comers" in the $35,000 class. Where are the Americans? Missing in action, again. But in the same issue the GP GXP art5ilcle says the hotter Poncho sedan would place a solid second in two of the categories they used , once against each of their "benchmarks" Could it be that they did not bother to include it because it is NOT a $35,000 sports sedan, but only a $31,000 sports sedan???? They change the color of the shift knob on a Porsche and there is a new test, look hard in the road test charts at the back of the mags and if you add up all the Pontiacs tested it is less than the number of mags you just looked in. What are they afraid of? That a lowly realatively inexpensive American car might actually not finish last against the imports? Must be.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I certainly :agree: about the over-abundance of BMW/Porsche/Merc and Ferrari articles in R&T. That being said, I am a loyal and longtime subscriber because the mag is one of the best imho.

I also agree that they could and likely SHOULD be forced to review more domestics in the 5-6 car comparisons. Not just the GP GXP but also the V series cars that ought to be stiff competition for the bimmers, audis et al.

As for the Porsche articles about every new shift knob look no further than the article authors, certain R&T authors are SERIOUSLY biased porsche-files (cough Rusz) or BMW fanatics.....

And the red colour of the Solstice on the R&T cover is no fluke, car magazines have known for a long LONG time that RED cars on the covers sell more issues. Don't doubt the power of a flashy new RED sports car on the cover, it is red for a reason.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
psycho-squirrel said:
I certainly :agree: about the over-abundance of BMW/Porsche/Merc and Ferrari articles in R&T. That being said, I am a loyal and longtime subscriber because the mag is one of the best imho.

I also agree that they could and likely SHOULD be forced to review more domestics in the 5-6 car comparisons. Not just the GP GXP but also the V series cars that ought to be stiff competition for the bimmers, audis et al.

As for the Porsche articles about every new shift knob look no further than the article authors, certain R&T authors are SERIOUSLY biased porsche-files (cough Rusz) or BMW fanatics.....

And the red colour of the Solstice on the R&T cover is no fluke, car magazines have known for a long LONG time that RED cars on the covers sell more issues. Don't doubt the power of a flashy new RED sports car on the cover, it is red for a reason.
They should have sky blue pink with yellow trimming....

·
Registered
417 Posts
i guess i read it wrong. i thought that they were very impressed with an american sportscar costing under 30000 that could do battle with even the vaunted (for good reason ) miata. high praise indeed. they felt it was a real sportcar in the old hairy chested way. just my feeling
fred from nashville :cool:

·
Registered
281 Posts
CoolOne2006 said:
......I buy them for the pictures and statistical info and that is about it!
Are we talking about Playboy or Road & Track?

I apologize, I haven't had any coffee, it's hard for me to keep up. Please type slower.

This is just the first iteration of the Solstice, the Miata's been around for 16 years, it's got the weight and momentum of history behind it. As the Solstice reputation grows, I'm sure the car magazines will warm up to it.

When the Miata came out in 1989, it filled a void, of course people loved it right away. With the Solstice, it's coming into a full market, it HAS to be a better car, better value, just to get attention. I think it's done a pretty good job of getting attention so far.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The Batman said:
Are we talking about Playboy or Road & Track?

I apologize, I haven't had any coffee, it's hard for me to keep up. Please type slower.

This is just the first iteration of the Solstice, the Miata's been around for 16 years, it's got the weight and momentum of history behind it. As the Solstice reputation grows, I'm sure the car magazines will warm up to it.

When the Miata came out in 1989, it filled a void, of course people loved it right away. With the Solstice, it's coming into a full market, it HAS to be a better car, better value, just to get attention. I think it's done a pretty good job of getting attention so far.
:lol: :agree:

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
anticd70 said:
I just got my copy of the October issue of Road & Track and to be honest with you I feel article and front cover were below par. For starters, I feel the front cover made the Sol look cheap and did not provide a well rounded view of the vehicle and its attractive lines. The cover in my opinion I feel should be the most appealing of all the pictures and grab the readers attention. My second question is why red? Im 21 and when I see a red convertible I think of a guy going through a midlife crisis. Why wouldnt GM or Road & Track pick a different color that would set the Sol apart from the same red Miata later in the issue? I mean why not Deep or Sly, I would have even taken Ebony. Last but not least the Miata article provided a more in depth look at the vehicle and it seemed as if the writer was passionate about the MX5. The Sol article seemed as if it was just thrown together after a 25 minute test drive that any of us could have wrote. Overall I'm looking forward to future articles and photo shoots on the Sol, because I feel Road & Track dropped the ball big time! Does anyone agree or was I just expecting too much?
I thought the article was a plus. They liked the car. Page 118. Best car finalist.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts